Blair Witch Project

Discussion in 'Horror Movies' started by rak, Aug 16, 2011.

1. rak

rak Senior Member

I just re watched it last night. It still scares me to death, but the plot is a bit illogical. The students hear loads of stories of people being abducted in the woods, and it does not occur to them to ask the police why they do not get off their arse and find out what’s going on.

So they drive into the woods, where the abductions took place, but do not once look at their map. Being in the middle of the woods, it is not as though a map is even that important. Right? That is only the case if you desperately want to get lost in the woods.

As they finally agree to look at the map it’s gone. Just when they realise that the psycho is following them is when one of the students admits that he just spontaneously decided to throw the map away, so that they are all screwed, and there endangered lives can have a tragic ending. Makes a lot of sense, huh?

Dude111 likes this.
  2. broony

broony Banned

I had a birthday party that year and a few friends came over. The room was dark and it was the perfect setting for the film. Well 15 minutes in a friend leaves to go play video games. Few minutes later so does another friend. We are now halfway in the film and my last 'friend' fucking leaves me alone in this giant dark room on my birthday to watch this shit by myself. Damn cowards.

I watched the whole thing alone and was not that scared. A few scenes were creepy to say the least but the overall film was not that scary. I gave my friends a lot of shit later since all of them acted like a bunch of pussies.

3. BuryMeInSmoke

BuryMeInSmoke Member

I always loved the dark feel of this movie. It's strange but there's something about it that draws me to it. Not only that but the way it was filmed makes it seem realistic, which I like. I know there are several films out today trying to do the same thing but none that I've seen seem to get it down right.

4. walsh

walsh Senior Member

They're kids. What do you expect them to do - sit down over a cup of tea and devise a plan to responsibly inform the authorities? No. They're young, eager, and want adventure. There's a reason they didn't cast a 40 year old accountant and his two mature and responsible friends in the main role.

Great movie, anyway. I saw it when I was fairly young and knowing nothing about the movie before going in, we really didn't know if it was real or fake, or just a joke. The handheld camera and stripped down production really was convincing. Not so much now when it's been turned into a genre.

5. Thetourist

Thetourist Member

I thought I was quite creepy the first time I watched it, but it does take ageeeees to get into the good bit....so it's probably more of a case of your mates getting bored I reckon. The film doesn't really get interesting until about half way in.

6. builttolast2012

builttolast2012 Member

something about this film. its almost seedy...i the creep factor is good. i wish it showed a little more. how bout the second one? i thought it was better than the first lol

7. rak

rak Senior Member

LOL The second BW is a great improvement of the first one. It changed the entire movie industry.

8. Black_Books

Black_Books Member

I saw this with my best friend and his parents who were introduced to me as church-going baptists. It was probably with a huge dose of awkward that we watched the whole thing.

The theater in which we watched this movie had projection problems and only the top half of the movie was visible. The problem was that out of the fifty something people watching it, none of us were sure if this was the way the film was shot or if it was the fault of the theater. After about thirty minutes, one of us had decided it was the theater's fault and went to complain.

The rest of the film was spent in fascination with how little the whole thing made sense. I've had time to reflect on it all now. The whole movie was horrible. The scariest thing about it was the fear of nausea from the shaky camera work and the existential horror of realizing you had not only wasted money but time as well, in watching it. My friend, his parents and myself said nothing on the trip home.

-BlkBks

9. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I always wondered why didnt they start a big fire???

That might have gotton someones attention and then they would have been found!!

10. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

That movie was obviously "made"...

and it scared the bejebus out of me.

I still don't want to even thing about it. really.

BE GONE!

lol really though that the move isn't, on its surface, "scary", definitely nor gory...no special acting.

And it scares me still to damn death.

I will never watch it again...I can tell you that.

Irminsul and Dude111 like this.
  11. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Haven't seen it in years. All I remember is that it scared the living FUCK out of me.

happydude_60 and Lynnbrown like this.
  12. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Watched it for the first time a few years ago and thought it was scary. Creepy. Believable. Getting lost in the woods is scary on its own lol

Since then, it’s my go to Halloween film. One of them.

happydude_60 and Dude111 like this.
  13. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I still prefer the classics.

Even a man who is pure of heart and says his prayers at night
    May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms
    And the Autumn moon bright

happydude_60 and Dude111 like this.
  14. happydude_60

happydude_60 Senior Member

I thought it was pretty good the first time I saw it, but there were special circumstances that added to the experience. It was a dark, stormy October night with the wind howling outside, I was absolutely baked on some good weed and I was alone with the lights out. I have to admit it scared the shit out of me. There was just something horrifyingly primal about it. I believe that being lost in the wilderness, especially at night, and being pursued by an unknown predator is an old human fear. Not only that, but the amateur camera work and acting seemed to make it more believable.

15. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I also saw it when it first came out in 1999, only I had mixed feelings about it.

What the movie had going for it was the realistic look and feel it had, otherwise I couldn’t stand that girl heather

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I have never seen this.
    Is it a camcorder movie?

17. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I saw it in theaters and really enjoyed it. I recall it being a novel concept at the time. I doubt it's a movie I would revisit tho.

Yes.

18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Its also one of those movies that works because you don't know what's gonna happen so its only great the first time imo (like The sixth sense or The others).

guerillabedlam likes this.
  19. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

is is scary though...... You could lose your way in a deep forest and be just like them!! :(

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I am so scared, when people don't label their personal food.

[​IMG]

GypsyHolly83 likes this.