Blair got something he didn't expect

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Nistix, May 19, 2004.

1. Nistix

Nistix Member

Did you guys hear the news about blair being hit by a condom full of purple flower today while he was speaking in parliament?
    What do y'all think of this?

2. Ellie-Rose

Ellie-Rose Le Muppet

I saw that.. I thought they were bloody stupid leaving the area.. as it could have been anthrax and the whole country would have been affected after a while!!

Funny to watch though!!

3. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

Who threw it? That's mean and funny....

4. Claire

Claire Senior Member

The people that threw it wore a plackard saying **FLOWER POWER FOR DADS**

Its a group wanting more rights for dads

5. HappyHaHaGirl

Oh...are they gay? Or just opressed?

6. Claire

Claire Senior Member

they want more rights with their kids than the law gives at the moment... hence the condoms with "purple" flour in them:p

I found it funny as fuck!

7. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

I don't think anthrax can be spread by human contact, only by contact with the spores, so the risk wouldn't have been that great. The flower was purple because that's the colour of the campaign for fathers' rights. It was a valid form of protest I think, if the government won't listen when people speak out, then it's commendable that people have found new ways to get their attention in a non-violent way. I do wish the anti-war movement had organised something like this, instead of some fathers' rights campaign. Not that I don't agree with them however, I think single fathers should have equal rights to see their children as the women do, and it is blatant sexism not affording them their rights....

8. katherine

katherine Member

Just imagine if it had have been something toxic, could have wiped out nearly all our MPs, and contaminated a large part of central London. We'd probably have ended up with David Blunket running the country, which isn't a nice thought :eek: . Personally I think all visitors to the commons should be givern a supply of flower, eggs and rotten fruit to throw :D

9. HappyHaHaGirl

Oh. I wish I could see the look on his face... :)

10. Megara

Megara Banned

assault on two people is "non violent?"

11. greasytuesday

greasytuesday Member

Haha, so did I, but thats the thing... he didn't react at all! He just seemed to pretend it didn't happen.

12. Peace-Phoenix

It was hardly assault, they threw coloured flour! I'm not sure what your past experiences with flour may be, but mine have all been relatively painless....

13. Claire

Claire Senior Member

this was direct action... not violent... not assault

14. HappyHaHaGirl

Haha...I love how British people are so good at that!! They're so stoic. The only American I've ever seen take it in a classy way was Bill Gates when he got a pie in the face a few years ago. He hardly reacted. He just stood there like, "Mmmm...lemon meringue..."

15. Peace-Phoenix

Alas not all British people seem to conform to those conventions, Deputy PM John Prescott punched a man who threw an egg at him....

16. HappyHaHaGirl

Goodness...nevermind. I thought it was cute, but I guess not everyone does it. :(

I found these pics...I like the 2nd one....he's like, "Whaaaa???"

17. Megara

Megara Banned

i dont know what the laws are in the UK...but in the US..any unwanted attack is an assault...you are not allowed to touch someone without their consent.

While i doubt tony blair would or any public official in his circumstance would press charges..it still fits the bill of assault

18. Claire

Claire Senior Member

Oh my! i think you need a sense of humour / freedom of speech bypass:p

19. Peace-Phoenix

The main issue here would probably be the breach of security. I doubt his actions would stand up as violent assault in any court of law here. Besides, what the law dictates and what protesters feel are approporiate lengths to go to get their message heard are not always one and the same. I would argue that this action was entirely justified, even if it was illegal....

20. Megara

Megara Banned

i find it funny..i just dont find it appropriate...though, thankfully it wasnt anything serious and they can now fix the security loophole that allowed them to get inside.