Black Lives Matter

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Vladimir Illich, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Given that Mrs Windsor apparently supports the BLM movement, I wonder if members of the scumbag 'nasty party' will now volte face and support it too ???

Queen supports Black Lives Matter movement, says royal representative

Bronwen Weatherby
    9 September 2021, 7:31 pm
    [​IMG]
    Queen Elizabeth II inspects an Honour Guard at the Palace Of Holyrood House during the Ceremony of The Keys on June 28, 2021 in Edinburgh, Scotland.

The Queen and the royal family are supporters of the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement, one of Her Majesty’s representatives has said.

Sir Ken Olisa, the first black Lord-Lieutenant for London, revealed to Channel 4 that he had discussed the topic of racism with members of the royal household in the wake of George Floyd’s murder in the US.

In an interview with the broadcaster, he said: “I have discussed with the royal household this whole issue of race particularly in the last 12 months since the George Floyd incident.

“It’s a hot conversation topic. The question is what more can we do to bind society to remove these barriers.

“They [the royals] care passionately about making this one nation bound by the same values.”
    Asked if the palace support BLM, Sir Ken said: “The answer is easily yes.”

During the programme called Black To Front which is to be aired on Friday at 7pm and be produced by an all-black presenting and reporting team, Sir Ken also said the Queen had sought his advice after the Grenfell fire on whether to visit the site of the tragedy.

He said he advised the palace to go, but added: “I remember thinking as it all happened, it was quite scary, we didn’t know whether she would be booed or have things thrown at her etc and when she got out of the car all these people applauded.”

It comes after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex accused the royal family of racism in their Oprah Winfrey interview earlier this year.

Meghan said an unnamed royal – not the Queen nor the Duke of Edinburgh – raised concerns with Harry about how dark their son Archie’s skin tone might be before he was born.

The couple also suggested racism could be a factor behind the decision to deny Archie, the first mixed-race great-grandchild of the Queen, security protection or the title of prince.

The Queen later issued a statement saying that the issues raised would be dealt with privately as a family, but that “some recollections may vary”, while the Duke of Cambridge defended the monarchy, saying “we’re very much not a racist family” soon after the interview aired.

Buckingham Palace has also admitted it “must do more” and is “not where it would like to be” in terms of diversity, after publishing figures that revealed its proportion of ethnic minority employees stands at just 8.5%, with a target of 10% for 2022.

The Queen’s household also brought in a change to its Diversity Strategy in early 2020 – which pre-dates the Oprah interview – to one that actively emphasises the importance of inclusion.

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I wanted to share two things:

1) Defund the police seems poorly thought out, but reform is imperative. My first very brief but rational thought is, retrain and train at academy for like one or two days ways to safely engage people of color - addressing specific ethnographic variables for each prevalent ethnic or racial category. (sorry... your ethnicity wasn't in my training. ;) :rolleyes:. Joking...)

An example of this might be an effort to understand the mentality of a given ethinicity. A quick assertion I'd make to that end is tell your cadets about African Americans "he or she probably has sensitivity about being thought a criminal. unless overtly criminal, talk to them. let them know you're aware of their dilemma". Or, in the case of for instance an immigrant "make clear to them this isn't about whether or not they're documented, nor their origin but rather the relevant conduct". That way, it isn't about profiling; not even a little...

2) The term "black" is a social conundrum. It's very very familiar to ANYONE who is African American. They know they black...

Well, it's also a problematic "social construct". It's also a "misnomer".

You've heard of "critical race theory", and possibly you've also heard of efforts to abandon it in Texas...

Critical race theory would likely identify exactly this. It's difficult to get in the habit of being more delicate about this; especially if you "black"! :)

But the term perpetuates part of our problem because it's in conflict with our academic understanding - we reject the social construct of race, and we reject the social construct of other things too. Sometimes we embrace a social construct (culture, I'm looking at you...), but because there is much adversity for African Americans, the better policy in my professional opinion is to be as informed and as PC (politically correct - thus "African American"...) as possible.

-----

If the team at BLM were on board with both of these, I think we would see more political headway. It would have a better basis for amplifying their cause in the academic realm in so far as textbooks and lectures too. It would resound in media.

3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Here in the UK where police do not shoot black people as a pastime, we have the problem that most black lives are lost at the hands of other black people.
    Then they complain when they are stopped by police investigating the murders.
    What are we supposed to do to keep them happy. ?????