Black History Month

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 6-eyed shaman, Feb 7, 2018.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

In celebration of the month of February, black history month, I lift my glass in celebration that President Barack Obama. Is history.

:sunglasses:

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

A whole month, eh? Nothing shows more growth in the equality department than entertaining a whole months worth of recognition to one portion of the population I suppose.

mcme likes this.
  3. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

You can bet i'll be on Martin Luther King blvd in downtown LA every weekend this month holding up my black lives matter sign :)

Irminsul likes this.
  4. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Yay black history month!

And then we all forget about that shit for the next eleven months.

Except for black friday.

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'll spin some more black metal this month in order to celebrate

Eric! likes this.
  6. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Being of African American descent I take a more straight forward approach to Black history month including the latest scientific research which has shown that Cheddar Man,’ Britain’s Oldest Skeleton, Had Dark Skin, Curly Hair, and rhythm, no actually he had Blue eyes …lol… upending a common assumption that Britain’s indigenous populations were all pale skinned with fair features.

He lived about 10,000 years ago in the Mesolithic period, the middle part of the Stone Age.

Research has shown that fair skin pigmentation — long considered a defining feature of Europe — only goes back less than 6,000 years

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Kerri likes this.
  7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

It’s alright 6 I hear Trump is going to change it to Norway month.

scratcho likes this.
  8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

^^^
    Trump doesn’t realize there are 90,000 African immigrants living in Norway who now consider themselves Norwegian.

If Trump wants Norwegians, I say let him have them.

Eric! likes this.
  9. Asmodean

90,000 black norwegians is a neglectable minority for a biased foreign president...

10. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I miss him........

11. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Oh hell you mean they are not all white, next you will be telling me that there are Muslim Norwegians

12. Kerri

Kerri Members

I’m always surprised at how fragile some people are. The same people that are offended by a coffee cup are bothered by black history month and black lives matter. Here’s the deal - white lives and white history *already* matters. Black history month exists because without it all history would be white history and that ain’t the whole story

scratcho, Okiefreak and Tyrsonswood like this.
  13. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

If you can be offended by a coffee cup anything is possible I guess.

GeorgeJetStoned and Kerri like this.
  14. Kerri

Kerri Members

Right - 11 months of white history and 1 month of black history and in the name of equality these people complain the 1 month is too much

Eric! likes this.
  15. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

And they call other people "Snowflakes"!

16. Kerri

Kerri Members

Ironic right? From thI group that’s afraid of everything. Brown people having a history month. one kind of coffee cups, holiday greetings, immigrants taking their jobs, needing to be constantly armed because strangers want to murder their family, athletes they don’t know in other cities taking a knee for 90 seconds, Central American gangs, gay people getting married, trans people using bathrooms they’ve been using for decades. There’s nothing these cry babies aren’t afraid of

scratcho, Meliai and Okiefreak like this.
  17. deleted

deleted Visitor

this shit again?

18. Asmodean

Ah Freeman, the spokesman of the black peoples

19. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I'm a fan of Black History Month and wish the other months of the year that are dedicated to certain histories and heritages were equally promoted.

But here's my two cents.

Black History Month is an American thing. It tends to focus on the talents and contributions of black Americans. And I'm an American. So, black history is just as much my history as George Washington and Thomas Jefferson and FDR and Lincoln, WWII, Lewis and Clark, and all the other history white America embraces.

I mean, take Frederick Douglass for example. Taught himself to read and write, escaped slavery, met the president, travelled the world, wrote a book, etc. Man came from nothing and became successful based on his wit and determination. That is the American dream personified. So, I don't see people like him as "black" history as much as I do as "American" history. So why white people get their panties in a twist over having to learn about Martin Luther King and Harriet Tubman while watching Denzel movies and cheering for black athletes is beyond me.

Anyway, mad love for the brave women who came before me:
    http://msmagazine.com/blog/2014/02/19/how-many-of-these-early-black-feminists-do-you-know/

20. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

neoprene_queen likes this.