birth control

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by _DeLiA_, May 9, 2004.

1. _DeLiA_

_DeLiA_ Member

can smoking weed effect birth control pills? they always say "women on the pill are stongly advised not to smoke". i wonder if the same goes for weed

2. BokeDownPalace

BokeDownPalace Member

But I do know that I've been on the pill for most of the time that I've been smoking (a long time) and I've been very sexually active a lot of that time and I've never had any heart problems, any problems at all really. It doesn't make it any less effective if that is what you are asking. I hope that helps some sweetie!!

3. ZePpeLinA

ZePpeLinA Jump around!

when they advise not to smoke, they mean tobacco, cigarretes. These contain like 2000 different chemicals that fuck up your lungs. Weed does not have the same contents cigarretes have, therefore dont worry and keep on tokin':)

4. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

they advise you not to smoke because it can mess with your heart, not because it will make the birth control not work. i suppose the same would go for smoking pot, but it depends on how concerned you are. i don't have this problem because i am a guy.

5. ForestNymphe

ForestNymphe Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When I was on the pill, my doctor told me that smoking increases the chance of blood clots after the age of thirty. I don't think smoking mj will decrease the effectiveness of the pills.

6. Velouria

Velouria Member

I take The Pill and I still smoke weed w/o any problems (so far). I think the no smoking rule applies mostly to cigs since they are more harmful. Even so my friend has been on the Pill for years and she smokes like a freight train.

7. Shamrock

Shamrock Member

delia... are you cheating on me? i thought we were engaged.

8. lynsey

lynsey Banned

They mean for cigs because nicotine raises heart rate and when combined w/ birth control can cause a stroke or heart attack. This is more aplicable to women over 30.

The pill sucks! It makes me fat. I am practicing abstinence right now, but have taken the pill as a form of birth control in the past.

9. porkstock41

marijuana increases blood pressure if i'm not mistaken. probably isn't enough to hurt you that bad. i know lots of girls that are on the pill and smoke cigs.

10. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Smoking cigs while on the pill increases risks of blood clots. And, it is more advised for women over 30. It has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the pill.

11. Cosmo4

Cosmo4 Member

While we're on the subject of The Pill, how long do you have to take it for?

I've always wondered that..

12. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

if you are worried about smoking mj then try another way instead. perhaps vap it or bake it :)

13. _DeLiA_

_DeLiA_ Member

whoops! :eek:

14. lynsey

lynsey Banned

Koko-you take the pill everyday. 21 days have hormones and 7 days are placebo or place keeper pills. It makes women stay on a 28 day cycle, which is considered normal. They make women like myself feel horrible because I am naturally on a 40 day cycle, meaning I get my period every 40 days.
    The manufacturers say you should take the pill seven days before it is as effective as it should be. I have heard that it actually takes a month before it is effective, and I agree.

15. porkstock41

why does that make you feel horrible. wouldn't you be happy, cuz you get your period less often? damn, why am i talking about this?

16. lynsey

lynsey Banned

he, no. I get horrble cramps because my body has to force it's self on the pill to mensturate. I was too physically strenous to my self in high school so it is going to take awhile for me to get normal 28 day periods if I ever get them. I feel better having them far apart, plus mine only last for like two days.

17. Velouria

Velouria Member

Lynsey, did it really make you fat? I'm scared now. I started taking it a month ago to deal with cramps and stuff but I haven't gained any weight. I am really paranoid. Plus it makes me feel tired and achy most of the time.

18. twoseeeyes

twoseeeyes Member

Do you yall feel the same way with the patch? It seems more convient than the pills.

19. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

I skip the placebos and go straight to the next pack. No period!

I think the Depo shot is what makes you gain weight. I've never had any weight gain. The patch seems more convenient, but I haven't tried, yet.

20. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I know lots of girls who have not gained weight and who have felt great on the pill. I just to not react well to anything forgein in my system. I am hyper-sensitive to everything-even asprin.

I also hate putting false or synthetic hormones in my body. I eat all organic food (except occasional taco bell) and quit smoking cigs-so why would I want some drug that men approved (but had no way of self-testing) entering my body 21 days a month? I would rather not have sex.