Birth Control Pills that supress menstrating?

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by earthfriend, May 19, 2007.

1. earthfriend

earthfriend Member

I keep reading about women taking pills to supress their bleeding, like the new birth control pill Lybrel (named after liberty), and wonder why in the world?
    I'm curious as to how many women here would do the same?

2. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

In theory, you can do it with any combo pill. You just throw away the inactive pills and immediately start up a new pack after your last active day. Some women are successfully able to skip a period by doing this, but it doesn't work for me. In fact, every time I have tried it, not only do I get my period as usual, but I continue to spot for several days afterward.

For those who can do it successfully, though, I have read that it is safe and that the body only requires two or three periods a year to allow for proper shedding of the uterine lining.

3. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

I've skipped a period a few times by not taking the 7 day break between an old pack of pills and new pack of pills just coz it's been more convenient that way, and it's worked fine, but I would not want to permanently supress my period. I like my period because it's a sign that my body is functioning properly.

4. flowerpower420

flowerpower420 Member

I worry that bcp's may have some links to fertility issues. I have not taken them for about 11 years...my cycle is regular, but I have had a terrible time conceiving my last 2 children.

5. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

i dont like the idea of skipping my period and i think it must be bad for you. its your uterus cleansing itself for one thing. what happens to all your endometrial cells and such that are supposed to either be flushed away or nurture a baby? my body is supposed to go through its cycle and im not going to stop it for convenieces sake.

6. ZePpeLinA

ZePpeLinA Jump around!

I've skipped a period once, whilst on the combined pill (mercilon). I took two packs without a break, and had a break after. My period was unusually heavy and very painful, I dont think I would give it a try again!

7. Merry Mab

Merry Mab Member

I really can't believe this is a good thing for a woman's body in the long term.

8. novarys

novarys Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

for some reason every birth control i've tried, i either break out or get sent to the hospital for a severe allergic reaction. its not pretty.

tho it may seem like a grand idea to stop menstrual cycles, i wonder if this "magic" pill will prevent women from having children as well? no menstrual cycle....no kids? what do you think?

sometimes scientists should just quit while they're ahead. next they'll invent a pill that stops people from having the ability to pee. i swear :rolleyes:

9. kjhippielove88

kjhippielove88 color + rhyme

ive done this on many occasions and i love it. it works well so i dont have to get my period when i travel or anything like that. my doctor even reccommended that i just take two packs of active pills in a row, have a period, two more have a period, and so on. when i skip one my period is no heavier and my cramps are just the same. when do i skip, i dont take the whole second pack - ill take a week of it or so. it always ends up balancing out

10. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

I don't get it either.
    Having a period is inconvenient?
    That sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

I like getting my period every month. It makes me feel cleansed and renewed.

Yes, my period is fairly heavy and painful, but nothing that I can't manage with some remedies... I'd rather have the pain and know that I'm working the way I should be, than anything.

The inconvenience thing bothers me... nature's too inconvenient now? What the hell?

I don't know, I don't mean to offend anyone that does this... I just totally do not understand that way of thinking, or how you can feel comfortable fucking with nature like that. I feel nervous enough about taking my pill the way I'm SUPPOSED to every month, much less taking the chance of skipping periods by continuously taking them...

I find it more inconvenient to have to take the pill everyday, than to get my period. I'm so happy when I have that week long break where I don't have to worry about stopping whatever I'm doing to find a glass of water to take my pill, scrounge through my purse to find them, and all that.

My period is my down time.
    I take it easy. I pamper myself. I let myself clean myself. I wouldnt feel right if I didn't have it...

I never saw a LEGITIMATE point to skipping a period;

If I have to travel, or have an event planned, I can still carry it out with my period... I prepare by using heat, taking Aleve if it's that bad; I don't care about having to take trips to the bathroom to change my pad or something because that's the way its supposed to be.

Some women are embarrassed if they leak and shit, even that doesn't bother me. It's a natural part of being a woman, and if anyone thinks it's hilarious, then I just see them as immature.

Whatever. don't get it. never will.

11. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

I doubt that this could be good for a woman's body. I think that women will have fertility issues later on in their lives. Also, sythedic estrogen causes cancer, so i would stay for away from this! People want life to be way too convient. I think having a period makes you more connected to your body.

12. WanderingSoul

WanderingSoul Free

I don't think some of you understand. A LOT of us women experience SEVERE pain during our periods, with lots and lots of blood loss that causes fatigue, (I've even fainted several times before) not to mention the nausea and consipation. I'm getting back on the pill as soon as I can!

Excruciating pain is inconvenient to ME, and I don't think comparing it to supressing urination is appropriate.

13. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

I hear you, wandering.

I got off the pill in January, but only because I take steroids that seem to suppress my cramps/amount of blood anyway. (The ONLY positive side effect to taking steroids). My first period after I got off the pill, I had cramps that had me in bed all day, even after taking advil. But since then I haven't had any.

For those who think the pill causes infertility, there is no evidence to suggest that. If you want to talk about why so many women are infertile, I'd put my money on pesticides over the pill.

The thing alot of women don't realize is that even when you stop for a week, you're never really having a "real" period while you're on the pill, you're only having breakthrough bleeding. And in terms of it's effectiveness at preventing pregnancy, it's actually more effective the less pills you skip.

Nevertheless, it's entirely a personal choice. If you're not comfortable with the pill, then by all means, don't take it. But skipping bleeding while on it is really no different than allowing yourself to bleed while on the pill--it's not a real period either way, there's no egg that needs to be disposed of, and the blood is just reabsorbed into the body.

14. allegedly

allegedly Member

My period doesn't make me more connected with shit.
    It's painful and it's difficult to explain pain like that to someone that doesn't have it.

15. WanderingSoul

WanderingSoul Free

preach it, allegedly!!!

16. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

Doesn't all oral birth control pills suppress 'menstruation'? I thought they only induce a fake period to keep track of one's ovulation.