biopiracy

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by jennifericous, Jan 15, 2005.

1. jennifericous

jennifericous Member

i originally posted this in globalisation, but i since noticed a monsanto thread in here and realised this may be the place for it!

does anybody else find it fascinating that the first U.S experimentation with Iraqi law benefits the commercial interests of american corporations?
    Iraqi farming has operated for generation n an informal and essentially unregulated fashion. this has been made illegal under new iraqi law. a whole new chapter has been written into the laws about plant breeders protection rights. so basically any scientist can claim to have created or discovered a breed of plant and grants exclusive monopoly rights to that person. this form of intellectual property right is fast becoming the most profitable in the so called 'knowledge economy' and makes seed saving illegal, forcing farmers to purchase new seeds every season.
    this is being portrayed as reconstruction work in iraq. but it seems less about rebuilding iraqs economy and more about safeguarding the 'commercial interests of american corporations'
    even when american occupation of iraq has ended US domination over their economy will continue.

2. chaos

chaos Member

that is so fucked up! no doubt they will try to infect the land with their genetically modified seeds.

mosanto=evil

3. jennifericous

jennifericous Member

ya believe! its also makes the sale and production of GM seeds legal.

you can read all about it at grain.org
    im so glad somebody else was interested in this i was beginning to feel like a major nerd!

4. chaos

chaos Member

nah your not a nerd, well not the only one anyway. i;m all about seed saving, planting trees, gardening and permaculture