Bike repair vouchers crash spectacularly !!!

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Vladimir Illich, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

So much for the blond khazi mop-head's scheme of getting people to cycle more !!!

Bike repair voucher website struggles at launch

PA
    Jul 28th 2020 9:18PM
    Boris Johnson's ambitious plan to get Britons cycling has got off to a rocky start, with the website offering bicycle repair vouchers crashing at launch.

As part of the Prime Minister's £2 billion scheme to boost active travel, the Government has made some 50,000 Fix Your Bike vouchers available to be used for standard servicing and replacing components.

The website, fixyourbikevoucherscheme.est.org.uk, was due to go live at 11.45pm on Tuesday night.

However, efforts to access the site returned only an "Error 404" message.

The scope of the problem quickly became evident as cyclists took to social media to express their disappointment.

The volume of complaints was such that the hashtag #FixYourBikeVoucherScheme became the number one trend on Twitter in the UK within 90 minutes of the site's scheduled launch.

The vouchers were initially due to be available in June, but the Department for Transport (DfT) said last month they would only be released once maintenance shops could handle the expected spike in demand.

The £2 billion investment, announced in February, also includes thousands of miles of new protected cycle lanes, cycle training, making electric bikes more accessible and creating the UK's first zero-emission transport city.

Other measures include strengthening the Highway Code, improving legal protections, increasing lorry safety standards and working with the police and retailers to tackle bike thefts.

On a visit to Nottingham, Mr Johnson said: "You always could spend more and this is the most ambitious package ever – it's £2 billion.

"What we will do is create thousands of miles of protected cycle lanes – I really believe that protected cycle lanes are essential to give people the confidence people need, many people aren't very brave or confident cyclists."

He added: "What I also want to see is more work done to get motorists to understand that we are all going to be sharing the roads, going to be sharing it with cyclists, so be respectful, be courteous.

Cycling and walking have a huge role in tackling some of the health and environmental challenges that we face.

Our £2bn cycling strategy will encourage more cycling with thousands of miles of new bike lanes, and training for those who want to learn. pic.twitter.com/PwYtqXpdd1

— Boris Johnson #StayAlert (@BorisJohnson) July 28, 2020
    "Things have been improving but there's still a long way to go."

The £2 billion investment was announced in February.

Labour's shadow cycling minister Kerry McCarthy said: "Tory ministers have dragged their feet and failed to seize the opportunity this crisis has posed.

"Although funding is welcome, cyclists will be rightly concerned about how long it is going to take to actually put these plans into practice."

DfT figures show there has been a surge in cycling following the coronavirus outbreak.

Compared with the equivalent day in the first week of March, cycling usage nearly doubled over the weekend of July 18/19.

Monday July 20 – the most recent weekday for which data is available – showed cycling at 146% of pre-lockdown levels.

2. roadhogg

roadhogg Senior Member

sure iff you live in Cambridge ,,the bike is great iff you live in oxford or the centre of London the bike is great .the ground is flat ,iff your like me and live in the chilterns ,access to a lot of areas via a bicycle ,is quite difficult ,which is why towns like the one I live in ,do not have many cyclists .wtf is boris on about ? iff you own a car ,you have to pay to get it fixed ,iff you ride a bike ,parts are cheap ,and can normally be mended by any competent bike owner ,ILL FIX MY BIKE MYSELF THANKS BORIS ,LIKE WE HAVE BEEN DOING FOR THE LAST 100 YEARS

3. roadhogg

roadhogg Senior Member

keep your 2billion bike scheme boris ,I think cyclists can mend there own punctures ,and do there own bike repairs ,put the 2 billion to better use boris FFS ,or that spare money that you have burning such a big hole in your pocket ,you have to spend it ,on anything that pops into your stupid head

4. Vladimir Illich

No, don't let him do that !!! - the money could be used to give the Nurses and Care Home employees a decent increase as a thank you for their hard work these past six months.

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, there is a bicycle shop a couple blocks from my place, which has been busy as the last couple months. Walk past on a Saturday morning, 12 people lined up outside, half of them with a bicycle wheel in hand

So; take off the wheel at home - put it in the car- drive to the bicycle shop - get them to change the tube- drive back home - put the wheel back on the bicycle

???

Seriously? How useless do you have to be you can't replace an inner tube on a bicycle wheel yourself?

WOLF ANGEL likes this.
  6. Vladimir Illich

Whoa !!! - You're capable of riding a bike ??? - does your local and national press and mass media know this ??? - an Antipodean knuckle dragging anthropoid is capable of riding a bike ??? - why isn't your mug splashed all across the mass media ???

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Dude, seriously, if you are going to get drunk can you do something else besides post online. Go yell at the neighbours or graffiti the local bus stop

WOLF ANGEL likes this.
  8. Vladimir Illich

Iam not drunk !!! - haven't had any alcohol in several days, so you can go urinate elsewhere !!!

9. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

If you are not drunk - I'm sure that you can be more articulate than that Vlad

10. WOLF ANGEL

* Post removed upon request of the Thread starter

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  11. roadhogg

roadhogg Senior Member

12. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

'In the future everything will work.'

- Schwa

13. WOLF ANGEL

* Post removed upon request of the Thread starter

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  14. Vladimir Illich

Take your music videos elsewhere - this was a 'political' thread - pointing out that yet again this scumbag 'nasty party' government have failed spectacularly !!!

15. WOLF ANGEL

Gee Vlad, Chill - One was only trying to lighten the mood,
    I have duly removed my posts = Hope this improves your mood