Big Outdoor Grow next month

Discussion in 'Cannabis Outdoors' started by Bad.Fish, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Bad.Fish

Bad.Fish Sex wee pon de babylon

Im planning on planting between 30 and 60 seeds, growing for two weeks indoors and then transporting outdoors. I have around 10 good spots located and will (if i can) dig a 1ft square hole filled with potting compost for each plant.

I will be basically relying on nature to grow the plants but as far as fertiliser is concerned im not sure, iv read the guerilla grow guide but theres nothing like talking to someone personally about it. I'll try not to clog up the Cannabis Outdoors forum too much so I will use this as my grow journal too.

The only problem I can see at the moment is that I dont have the light power to grow 30 - 60 seedlings. Due to the Irish climate our outdoor grow season is around St. Patricks day (midway through march) temperatures will be from 8 - 10 degrees with frequent rain. How well do you think they would do if I just germinated the seeds and planted them?

Also I already have a plant I have been growing very slowly indoors, about 2 months old and its two feet tall with dark green healthy leaves (on its 7 leaf set) and a very thick stalk (about an inch or more thick) not sure whether I should plant this outdoors this year along with a few germinated seeds and a few seedlings. Just to see how each category does and then from what I learn this year use that for a bigger grow next year.

2. Rocklobster

Rocklobster Senior Member

I'm not an outdoors grower. Here in the south east uk i would.nt think about taking cutting out to grow naturally till may early june coz at march the sun still not strong enough and days are only just really startin to get long and you can still get frost cold snap up till april may not to mention heavy rain that would beat seedling to pulp, bloom time here late oct/sep but you've gotta work your own times out coz the more north you are the shorter season become. Sounds good buying soil and using that but your need to mix in some perlite for drainage and air. If your gonna use soil they you wont need to feed plants for a month but after that just remember high N (nitrogen) low p and k for growing and low n and high p and k (phosphorus and potassium) for blooming, any fert worth its salt will have the npk rating printed somewhere on the bottle. If your other plants you got now a female i'd keep it where it is coz then you know if all others are found your least gonna get something.

3. Bad.Fish

yeah ok, from the people iv talked to and know around here everyone has said around middle of march so i'll go with local knowledge for that. How much is perlite? Hadn't thought of using that.
    As for the other plant, if it turns out to be female then i'll keep it growing slowly indoors this year. If its healthy and big enough by then i'll take clones from that for next years outdoor grow. How does that sound? I got a quarter during the week and got over 60 seeds from it, ridiculous but now its coming up to growing season i'll count it as a blessing.

I'll go for 30 seeds outdoor this year, so maybe 15 females.
    Not really prepared for anything bigger than that, anything more would be a waste of seeds

4. Rocklobster

I'm not being funny but in my opinion you are setting your self upto FAIL.

You seriously need to do some more studying if you never thought of using perlite coz its a mj growers best friend and no mj guide worth its salt would.nt mention it.
    Think you would do better to grow under lights sex and weed out the weak ones then grow on so there nice and bushy take cutting or plant them out, cutting need to grow till there fairly well rooted and robust enough to plant outside.
    I aint going into genetic and why seeds you found in your weed last week are not a very good to grow coz if you do your homework correctly then you can tell me lol. (I'l post sometime in growing tech where its belongs)

5. Bad.Fish

I have a grow book "How to Grow Medicinal Marijuana" by Todd McCormick.
    I knew about perlite but I just wasnt sure if it was needed outdoors. A good few of the seeds are still immature but most of them are hard, brown with a distinctive pattern so I thought it wouldnt be too bad. Then again im only 17 and have a lot to learn yet, most of what I pick will be from trial and error anyway.
    I have a notebook that im piecing together each bit of good information I get and also everything I do is noted down so I can look back and find out what was'nt working.

Im not going into this expecting much (if anything) but the experience I get from this year is worth more to me than getting a lot of bud.
    Thanks for the advice, iv got a long way to go :cheers2:

6. Rocklobster

if you can remain calm after I've just given you a bloody nose by saying your gonna fail then i think you will get there in the end just to proof me wrong.
    Yep they sound like mature seeds but even just the hint of off colouring etc on a side or patch can mean its not quite there and might not germinate.
    If you plant any kinda seed in the wild a percent will get eat rot or not germinate due to other factors being wrong, so i'd say start them indoors and transfer.
    Shoots and seedling when planting outdoor i'd say something is gonna take a bite out it or attack it at some stage its just the less bites you have (small plants) to begin with the more likely it wont be able to cope with or out grow the damage and will die.
    Another advantage of going the under lights and planting out slightly late is there less likely to get found and destroyed by animals/humans.

7. Bad.Fish

I'll hold off for a bit longer before germinating then and plant around the end of march/beggining of april. How long do you think I should keep them indoors?
    Also the plant iv had for a couple of months is female, found out this morning. With it being indoors so long would that have any negative effects if it was transplanted outdoors?
    Im pretty confident that it wont be found by people as its a mile struggle through a thick conifer forrest to a clearing, it took me nearly two hours to make a small path through it. Made a few false trails that branch off to nowhere to mislead people just in case.
    Im more wary about bugs getting to them then animals. Scrapped planting germinated seeds outdoors and will just go with seedlings, about 30 of the seeds arnt completely mature but that still leaves me with more then enough. Is there any other nutrient or fertiliser that would benefit them other then perlite?

8. Rocklobster

Dont know there proper name easy to make i would of thought but have you seen say a motorway when they plant small trees and bushes along side they use a cover to protect the main stem for rabbits and anything small from damaging them also you can get like a tape thats remains sticky outdoors (they use it on trees and fruiting plants) use that around the bottom that will stop anything from climbing up and eating your plants.
    Depends on outside temp but any plant going from 1 temp or anything else come to that to another will suffer shock and stress, mj stressed can die wilt grow slow or start growing 1 or two bladded leaves agains but after say a month they start to recover. I'd say plants over a month should be strong enough to survive out side.
    Same as any other plant grown indoors for the outside you have to harden them up to the outside temp by puttin them outdoors for a few hours a day at first and slowly over a week or too gettin longer, if you cant do that you could just leave a window open to get the temp same as the out side.
    Perlite is not a food or a nutrient it keep the soil drain by retaining the water and also air dissolved in it untill the plant needs it. New soil already has natural or chemical food in it (unless you use low nutrient) and any plant wont need feeding and will burn if you added food till thats been used up takes about a month.

9. pc420

pc420 Member

10. Bad.Fish

^ the point of that was...

anyway been a bit of a change of plan, will be growing the plants under those plastic greenhouse sheets behind my friends house, huge sunspot and sheltered too. Very easy access as i will be living out there (hopefully) during the summer.

Makes much more sense that way as i'll be able to keep an eye on them, theres a lot of rabbits in the area though. Will they damage the plants in any way? also the area is very close to the sea, will the sea air affect the plants?

11. Bad.Fish

cut the number down to 20. All seeds germinated and 19 of them are now over 3 inches. 1 didnt come up.
    Location changed to a clearing inbetween two forests with a thick tangle of brambles and half cut down trees covering a wide area about the size of a football pitch.
    Cut and beat a path through to around the middle and made a clearing about 10 x 10 metres.

Bag of perlite, peat moss and soil waiting out there and i'll have the holes ready soon aswell. Want to have everything ready for the plants in advance.
    Very remote spot and well covered so unless someone knew where they were going they wouldnt find the place.

Only problem at the moment is the seedlings stretching a lot but that should be easy to fix with a bit of pruning when they're older..

12. Rocklobster

Funny how plans can change or grow as things develope but glad ya moving along. In answer to ya other question rabbits love the soft juicy leafs of mj and can destroy the lot in just a night if ya get unlucky. thats the trouble with seeds we get today they can grow a little to fast sometime and stretch to the point where they fall over but ya just gotta stick with it lol. be careful with the pruning with young plants they can go male or hemi with the stress especialy within the first month. Anyway weather starting to warm up although still getting the odd chillie night.

13. Bad.Fish

yeah, a couple were on the verge of falling over but I just added a bit of extra soil to the pot.
    The light im using doesnt give out enough energy to sustain them properly but once they're on their secind set of leaves they'll be put in an aquarium tank outside. Just so that they can get the sun but nothing can get to them.

Theres going to be other plants out there aswell because its three of my friends living in the house who are all growing outdoors too.

Will get a pic of the seedlings now

14. Bad.Fish

this is my little hiding spot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. yonosoymedico

yonosoymedico Member

no and no, if theyre in a greenhouse, should be all good no?... and if youre living there then damn, super security!... goodluck.. i would think that sea water and rabbits should be the least of your worries, but i dunno your sit.
    seeya

16. Bad.Fish

well they wont be on or anywhere near my friends land...most are on their 3rd set of leaves now but I dont think they're strong enough to go outside.

Down to 18 now, stalk got crushed by collapsing light but thats all fixed now and the rest are looking good and healthy, 7 of them are doing particularly good...although a bit stretched i'll just add some extra soil when I replant them. Im going to have to do that in the next few days because some of the tap roots are starting to appear out the bottom of the pots.

If things stay on track I think it'll be successful but I suppose its a bit unpredictable with the weather and everything. Got chicken wire surrounding the area that i'll be growing in which will hopefully keep any nasties away from the plants and im thinking of getting some poly tunnel plastic to cover the top of the chicken wire and I can get 30 bamboo plants for free which im going to surround the clearing to make it a bit safer.

Going to wait till there will be a week of good weather to transplant them and i'll see how things go from there. Pics of the spot will be on the way soon.

:cheers2:

17. Bad.Fish

Been a while but 11 of the plants are doing great outside but I ran out of soil so the other 6 (down to 17) will have to wait their turn.

[​IMG]

This is the 11 that are outside now, they look a bit tattered there but that was the same day they were re-potted into bigger pots so they werent too happy.

[​IMG]

the bluriness is due to the plastic greenhouse they're under, gale force winds wouldnt do em any good so they'll be under here for a little while.

[​IMG]

They're new home, as you can see the ground is pretty much useless for planting so they're be in pots till harvest. Great spot though, they get every second of sunlight from dawn to dusk and just a bit of wind through the vents.

[​IMG]

this is the general landscape of the place, its in the middle of a mile square piece of land of a logged forest, the forest stretches for another mile off to the left of the picture.

Plenty of small new fir trees growing around which will offer camoflage from a distance and they're in a trench, can't see em unless your within about 2 metres of them. Everything looking good so far. Thinking of putting the other 6 somewhere else just in case these 11 are found.

oh yeah also this isnt the origional place they were going to go, this is a much safer, remote place.

What do you think so far rocklobster? asking you since you've been helping from the start

18. yonosoymedico

yonosoymedico Member

sadly i cant see your pics, goodluck with the grow though..

19. Bad.Fish

sorry, they're in my private album is why, dont want to have them publicy on display...hold on i'll add you

20. M4N14C42O

M4N14C42O Cannabis Connoisseur

wouldn't mind checking out the pics!