Bicycle Appreciation Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Pollution' started by Cosmic Elf, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I had a great bike in AZ that got me everywhere and was good to me; and I hate to admit, I bought it at Walmart! When I took it to a bike shop they had to disassemble and reassemble it correctly (big surprise), but other than that it was sturdy and reliable.
    I haven't gotten a new bike since moving to CA and I couldn't bring my old one, but my husband is hinting in that one is in the future for my birthday....

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I have two bikes, an aluminum Walmart Mongoose mountain bike that's about ten years old and an old 12 speed Nishiki road bike that's about one hundred and thirty years old.

I just oiled the Nishiki's freewheel and have been trying to do about ten miles a day to get ready for summer. Averaging about 10 mph, which is pretty good for me at the moment. I have two really steep hills to climb here in PA.

3. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Each spring, I look for the change in weather here in Boston such that the early morning temperature is above freezing. Then I start biking to work. That day is almost here!

4. My bicycle is my only transport. Luckily I can pretty much use it all year round. This is a picture of it in my sig:D

5. Lafincoyote

Lafincoyote Member

IMHO bicycles are our greatest mechanical acheivement, many times more efficient than walking, and they can carry a load along with the rider. They run on whatever food you have consumed, don't pollute the environment after being manufactured, and keep your body in shape. I ride as often as I can, and still enjoy it after 1,000's of miles spent riding many different bicycles over the years, some of which I have pictures of in my profile, so please visit and take a look at my stable of low cost rebuilt bicycles. Thanks for looking and have a GREAT day!

6. Gray passenger

Gray passenger Member

One more person addicted to the bike. :p Used to love going around on rollerblades, but I'm loyal only to my old friend now. Don't have a drivers licence, so yeah...

7. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Since this popped back up.....

I had to tear the Nishki's freewheel apart as the chain was hanging up in the mid range gears. I noticed that the one sprocket was slanted instead of parallel to the others.
    Turns out the fiber gear spacer had worn off on one side so the gear was sitting at a slant to the axle. So I made one out of a plastic juice bottle that just happened to be the perfect thickness. Cut it was a razor blade and carefully trimmed it to fit.
    Works perfectly and saved me from trying to find a new gear cluster.

8. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

i can ride my bike with no handle bars

9. ScrubPuppy

ScrubPuppy Member

10. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

I got my bike for free, someone left it on the first floor where you walk in with a note on it that said "take me".

It's a mountain bike, I need a regular street bike but I lost the little tag that came with the bike lock with the combination on it.:oops:

Last bike lock I had the key broke off, and I had to cut through the cable with a pair of dikes, one strand at a time, and it was not that easy but I eventually got through it, but it hurt my hands for real!

I don't trust someone to not steal my bike if I don't take it into the store with me...., I guess I could try and make it look like it was locked up to a parking meter or something even tho its really not, then nobody would probably fuck with it. Nobody has realized yet that if you lift the bike up in the air you can lift it right off anyway:rolleyes:

It's badass to have a bike too.