Bhakta Prahlada

Discussion in 'Hinduism' started by Jedi, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

This is a song where prahlada tries to speak to demon children to follow their way back to nonviolence, compassion and back to Godhead. (prahlada was a demon king , who was a great devotee of God).
    Prahlada's father Hiranyakashapa uses his own spiritual shakti (that he gains by intense tapas) and conquers the three realms: the heavenly realm, the earth realm and the demonic realm and declares himself God. He makes all living beings worship him. Everyone starts to worship Hiranyakashapa, even gods like Indra and Yama worship him because Hiranyakashapa conquers them as well.
    But the five year old prahlada , who is an enlightened soul, is unaffected by this and disobeys his father hiranyakashapa. He enlightens the whole gurukul with his message.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVVSYaY9hHw&feature=related

I thoroughly enjoyed it, I thought people here might enjoy it as well.

2. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Thanks for posting this Jedi. It is a great story.:)
    I was amused actually when I first read about Hiranyakashapa and how he got his powers from Lord Brahma. He is said to have sat in meditation for 1,000 years - during that time, a colony of ants built their nest around his body, and ate away all his flesh to the bone - however, he was able to keep the vital force in the skeleton! Severe austerities or what?

Pity though it was all for egoistic goals and personal power! He'd have made a great yogi with those powers of endurance and detachment.
    Funny how we humans will put up with all sorts of trouble if we think we're going to get what we desire or think we want as a result, yet we're not willing to make even a tenth of the effort to realize God.

Probably, the core meaning of this story is about the ego, symbolized by Hiranyakashapa. And it's ending, where he is torn to pieces by Nirishima, is the end of all such titanic schemes launched by the ego consciousness. Because no matter how much power anyone has, it is literally nothing compared to the power of the divine. After all, it is ultimately the divine which is the sole reason for the existence of even the most demonic of beings, and in fact, the sole support for their continued existence.
    Whatever powers we have, or wealth or prestige we enjoy, really it is all 'borrowed' from Him.

3. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

haha I agree 100% percent BBB, although ego thinks it is the doer, it is really not. We are eternally dependent upon His love and His mercy. I think he is also dependent upon our Love too. It is a beautiful relationship indeed.

4. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Thats a great way of interpreting the story Bill! You should try being a bhagavata story teller :D

5. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Hare Krishna !

BBB said....
    Probably, the core meaning of this story is about the ego, symbolized by Hiranyakashapa. And it's ending, where he is torn to pieces by Nirishima, is the end of all such titanic schemes launched by the ego consciousness. Because no matter how much power anyone has, it is literally nothing compared to the power of the divine. After all, it is ultimately the divine which is the sole reason for the existence of even the most demonic of beings, and in fact, the sole support for their continued existence.
    Whatever powers we have, or wealth or prestige we enjoy, really it is all 'borrowed' from Him.

Thank you, dear. That's the truth, nothing but the whole truth.

Love,

Kumar.

6. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

You are all - Jedi, Bhaskar and Kumar, extremely kind.