Beyond the usual stop error 0x000000CE partmgr.sys

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by We_All_Shine_On, Mar 14, 2008.

1. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

problem is that as versions age they get completely torn apart and hacked so if you are still using XP and not updating, you are a sitting duck for the majority of malware out there, not to mention the great advances in functionality of the OS.
    But if you are using deepfreeze and enjoy the same old day after day, that is your choice, albeit a little odd and overly paranoid one.

2. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

Do like xenon said and delete all partitions and zero the entire disk. (Active killdisk bootable) Make new partitions and format (no quick format) then see how far u get. Once u zero the disk everything is gone for good (every sector is rewritten all zeroes) and there's no turning back at that point but it's a guaranteed fresh start.

Are u using GPT or MBR partition tables?

I can understand the possible reasons for one choosing to use xp, but MS will not be supporting it in the near future.

I always install OS from. Bootable USB stick...it saves coasters some times...

EDIT: just realized the age of this thread lol...hopefully he has a new machine now

3. lode

lode Banned

The day after the next Microsoft update is posted, people will diff compare the binary to the last patch, they will disassemble and the hacks will be known within hours, and the holes that are in vista and 7 will fairly likely be in XP.

A solution like deep freeze would be acceptable to return you to a still vulnerable but uninfected state, but that's assuming you would notice. Most modern malware tries to be noticed by the user, and is good at it.

4. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

Hours....I would think looking at a whole bunch of assembly language with no comments would take more than a few hours to make sense of, but I guess they've had years to be thinking about it and probably know quite a bit about it already from MS leaks and shit.

5. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I have win 7 on a couple laptops, mainly because they don't support XP. I run Deep Freeze on all of them as well. Deep Freeze has saved me from so many headaches, I simply wouldn't have it any other way. It's like a fresh install that never goes sour. It's great for testing programs before permanently installing them or odd programs that would otherwise hog the system like itunes. I need to install itunes once in a great while to manage my sons ipod touch but I never want crap like that running all the time. It's quick and easy to reboot thawed for updating/installing new programs. I only freeze a small OS partition and the rest of the drives are unfrozen for games and storage. Between Deep Freeze, Peer Block, and SpyBot, I have absolutely no worries about my Windows XP security. In fact I'd be more concerned if I was on Win 8.