Beyond a Brexit

Discussion in 'U.K. Politics' started by WOLF ANGEL, Oct 9, 2019.

1. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Scenario:
    When/if Brexit happens.
    How long will it be before there is a call/demand for a UK split
    The Scots, Irish and Welsh governing their own Countries?
    I'm sure that the Scots and Irish would be able to organise trade deals to suit (not sure about the Welsh) - Without interference from the English Capital, is this the next step/future for the UK? - or even, (dare one say it)
    "The 'Brexit' solution"??

DrRainbow likes this.
  2. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Are you claiming 'Celtic' ancestry ??? If not, we should leave the decision as to whether or if the Scots, Welsh, and Irish want to sever their connections with england to their own respective populations.

3. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

I’m sorry to say that I don’t think there is going to be a beyond Brexit for a generation or so.

Whatever happens from now on we will be getting the blame game – I mean whatever happens it’s not going to go well

So the Leavers are going to blame everything that’s not going well on the EU or those traitorous remoaners

While the Remainers are going to point the finger and say ‘I told you so’

As I keep telling people – this bit was supposed to be the easy, it was JUST the withdrawal agreement - the really difficult bit was the trade talks that come after and as many have pointed out trade talks can go on for years, and those talks have to happen if we have no deal or do get a deal.

No deal is going to be bad, very bad, so leaving with no deal is going to give a lot of opportunity for ‘I told you so’s’ or shaking a fist at the EU for not giving ‘us’ a ‘good’ deal.

And the slow decline of a Deal leave will still mean a lot of opportunities for ‘I told you so’s’ and for shaking a fists at the EU for thwarting England’s road to triumph.

If we have a second referendum then…..well imagine

And if a second referendum says stay do you think the leavers are just going to go away? Everything that goes wrong is going to have them saying ‘if we had left that wouldn’t have happened’

This particular Pandora’s Box has not just been opened it has had the fucking lid ripped off

4. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

To carry on from above the blame is going to split the country yes with the likelihood of slipping the union as well.

The last Scottish independence vote was roughly No 55% to Yes 45%

The legal position of the EU was that Scotland would have to reapply for membership as a new nation rather than continuing on with their UK membership and that would have meant taking the Euro and the problem was that at the time the Euro was going through a bad patch and the chancellor at the time was saying the Scottish couldn’t use the pound.

So there was fear of economic disruption if there was independence so many Scots voted No with their heads rather than going with their hearts.

If there is Brexit the Scot’s will get the economic disruption anyway so that drawback goes out the window so I think next time the vote could pass.

Northern Ireland is more problematic, there are still many unionists who are very much against a unification but again if there is a big economic hit (as expected) from Brexit and economic advantages to re-joining the EU through unification then its possible that many might go with their heads rather than their hearts.

5. Vladimir Illich

Yeah !!! - bring it on -

6. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

I am quite sure as sure as night follows day that the Scots through Nicola Sturgeon will demand another referendum on the future of Scotland after Brexit. She will use Brexit as being the deal clincher for a fresh vote. Scotland, having visited many times , has benefited from EEC funding . The Modernisation of the A9 trunk road from Perth to Inverness and then to the top of Scotland is an example of that.

It should be noted that she is keeping very quiet at the moment like a cat waiting to pounce on its prey .

WOLF ANGEL likes this.
  7. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

I thought this was going to be about a new movie title.

Mysteron likes this.
  8. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

Possibly

BREXIT 2

9. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Brexit 2: The People's Vote : A New Hope

The trailer come out October 19th film release hopefully coming in the new year.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  10. WOLF ANGEL

Yes, I do have Celtic ancestry, and Proud thereof - I think you will find that it to be the case that the 'home Nations' are fed up with the influence and power of the bureaucrats from an area with it's own self-interest/s at heart..
    England, with it's Capital in the Southern state of Westminster is completely unaware of what the Northern regions - never mind it's other bother/sister Countries, want, need and are kept from benefiting from

11. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Ask yourself what England has to offer them, not the other way around. As soon as they are no longer part of Britain, they can join the EU.

12. WOLF ANGEL

Yes - That is my thinking

13. wooleeheron

I don't know that much about your economics and politics, but isolating England would be to the EU's advantage.

14. Vladimir Illich

Good for you and good for the three countries that form it.

15. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Brexit is a long term problem

Just crashing out of the EU without a deal will cause many very serious short term problems that in time will be dealt with but the harm doesn’t stop there because the thing is that ALL forms of Brexit will have harmful long term consequences. I’d even say that even if Brexit is cancelled a lot of damage has already been done that will have long term consequences, the rest of Europe and the world are looking at the UK differently, not as a sound place to invest but as somewhere dysfunctional with elements in it that are frankly insane.

People are saying - let’s just get it done - let’s just leave but the problem is that just leaving on the 31st doesn’t end Brexit you could say it’s when Brexit begins and that Brexit will go on for years.

If we leave without a deal we still have to get a deal, we cannot just stop all trade with our closest neighbours so to repeat we still have to get a deal with the EU which we have just really pissed off by forcing a crash out and have been insulting for many years.

We will have hurt them but the thing is we would have hurt ourselves much, much more, we will be in the weaker position not just with the EU but with virtually every other country in the WTO.

The long term consequences of that will be harsh.

16. wooleeheron

The whole point of Brexit is to keep a stiff upper lip.

17. WOLF ANGEL

Within or Without, the consequences will; I think, see some Winners but many more Losers.
    Calmness in adversity - that, is the British way ….. or at least the perception

18. wooleeheron

Until the fifth of November comes around.

19. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

You talk 90% bollox

Mayvern likes this.
  20. WOLF ANGEL

[​IMG]
    :)