better be alone than have bad company?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Penny, May 1, 2007.

1. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

John Lennon is the shit

2. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

he also wrote a song about lonely people

3. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I thought that was Paul?

4. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Writing a song that is also the name of the band is awfully vain.

I feel like shooting myself everytime that song comes on the radio. I woke up to it a couple of days ago. I would much rather wake up to Ironman (most common morning radio song, apparently).

5. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

you're right but possibly john wrote one-line... i live for possibilities

from wiki

"Eleanor Rigby" is a song by The Beatles, originally released on the 1966 album Revolver. The song was primarily written by Paul McCartney,[1] although in an interview conducted with Playboy magazine in 1980 shortly before he died, John Lennon claimed that "the first verse was his and the rest are basically mine."[2] Pete Shotton, a close friend of Lennon who was present at the time, said "Though John (whose memory could be extremely erratic) was to take credit, in one of his last interviews, for most of the lyrics, my own recollection is that 'Eleanor Rigby' was one 'Lennon-McCartney' classic in which John's contribution was virtually nil."[3] McCartney also says that John helped on about "half a line". It remains one of the Beatles' most recognizable and unique songs, with an eight-person string section working from a score by George Martin and its striking lyrics about the loneliness of old age, continuing the transformation of the Beatles started in Rubber Soul from a mainly pop-oriented act to a more serious and experimental studio band.
    As is true of many of McCartney's songs, the melody and first line of the song came to him as he was playing around on his piano. The name that came to him, though, was not Eleanor Rigby but Miss Daisy Hawkins. In 1966, McCartney recalled how he got the idea for his song:

6. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I love british names...

7. psychedelicgirl

psychedelicgirl Member

honestly, sometimes i'd rather be alone than in good company. there are about 2 people on earth that i'd pick over solitude every time...
    but that's just me.
    so i guess i prefer alone to bad company.
    i also prefer foreigner to bad company.

(band, not actual foreigners... although...)
    ;)

8. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I like foreigners, while Foreigner is... well... on the same level as Heart.

9. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I never heard of Foreigner either... good?

Anyways I love being alone too... to a point. But if only people who suck are around me... then I'd rather be depressed than pretend to have fun around them.

10. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

i had my hard hat and mag light all ready to go...

11. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

i confess this in absolute humilation that my husband LOVES foreigner. i have to confess, the singer has a great voice, but the MUSIC is just insulting.

12. The_Walrus

The_Walrus Sgt. Pepper

Yeah, if I had the choice of being alone and entertaining myself or being with people I can't stand, I'd MUCH rather be alone. Being alone is underrated. I hate when people try and act like you're a total loner if you just want to take a day off from the world and spend some time enjoying yourself. It's nice and relaxing to just enjoy the company of yourself sometimes.

13. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I know! I used to know a girl (total psycho btw) who couldn't be by herself, EVER, and she wasn't a 3-year-old... she was my age... so annoying she was constantly stalking people...

I THINK SOLITUDE IS WONDERFUL - people tend to eat up your oxygen, when there's too many of them or just one but too often... no...

14. Posthumous

Posthumous Resident Smartass

I had to switch colleges several time because I made too many friends. I've moved out here for the same reason though I do like it in Portland. Still I'd like to have lotsa friends but I got shit to do I can't do get anything done with others honing in on my time.

15. fexurbis

fexurbis Member

I don't much have a problem with assholes. It's a matter of indifference to me unless I'm attacked some sort of way.

Plus, I think pickiness can lead to extremes of intolerance similar to Nazism. We're actually headed that way...we're too individualistic and intolerant of human contact and difference.

16. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I just don't think I'm human. I think I'm an alien from one of Jupiter's moons. Guess which one

17. fexurbis

fexurbis Member

I agree!

18. Quality

Quality Banned

i'd rather be in the company of a complete douche bag instead of being alone. we could hold a contest of who's the bigger douche. and if we lucky, we can get into a fist fight. yall sound like some boring people.

19. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

no, but if you're bored with yourself than you must suck... being with me is so entertaining!

20. neponiatka

neponiatka Senior Member

right
    but i think if a person is too lonesome and for along time he'd prefer a bad company
    we humans are the products of society...:(