Best way to rid your house of flies?

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by Maggie Sugar, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Member

Try lavendar oil. Put a bit in a saucer in the corner of the room and they should all land there. Then you can rid yourself of them.

2. guy

guy Senior Member

try and keep the rabbit out of the house, get some fly screens, leave no fruit or other food uncovered.

3. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

i swear this works..i have tried it
    a family friend of mine told me to wet towels and hang them wherever u doint want flies....the flies will leave because they hate the damp

4. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

another way is to put a jar of water with 2 drops dishsoap in it...also works

5. purple gypsy

purple gypsy Banned

I have an idea for you. It sound silly but it works. Get a plastic zip lock baggie. Fill it half full of water. Close the baggie. Tie it up, outside by your front door. It really works. I do it every summer. Good luck

6. bunjies

bunjies Member

i personally would strip bunnies cage of everything, give it a really good scrub with hot soap and water. then replace the bedding with newspaper and a litter tray. pop the tray under the hayrack (thats generally where they will poo). then empty the tray every day. maybe twice per day. use chopped straw or shredded paper etc in the tray topped with a little hay to encourage its use ;)
    also make sure you pick bunny up at least daily and check his/hers bum. flystrike is a terrible way for a bunny to die, and it can happen in hours :(
    keep yer bunnies bum clean at all costs.

7. Nico Bouie Freer

Nico Bouie Freer Member

i don't know how you feel about another animal in the house, but i never have insects larger than ants because of my cat.

8. stazzy04

stazzy04 Member

When we lived in the country, we had a really bad problem with flies. The best thing my family found was the fly strips that you hang from the ceiling. Just put them back towards the corners and in various rooms of the house and they're not all that noticable. Just make sure you change them once they start to fill up.

9. darthkacie

darthkacie crazy diamond

hang clear plastic bags filled with water from the ceiling. I learned this in mexico.

the flies apparently think they are raindrops.

somehow this works.

10. Mothman

Mothman Senior Member

Get a black light and some fly strips, hang them in close proximity to each other(and possibly over the rabbit cage) and leave that light on every night. Keep the cage clean and get your trash out quickly each day so they have no source of food. The life span of a fly is very short so if you keep seeing them, then you know they are eating and producing maggots. Locate their food source and check the floor around the rabbit cage and trash cans as maggots will travel off somewhere to pupate.