Best Star Trek series

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi TV' started by fraggle_rock, Dec 21, 2013.

1. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

In order:

1. Deep Space Nine-- Hands down this series had the best characters and the best arcs. I didn't like Sisko so much but Gul Dukat is right up there with Khan and even the comic characters were interesting. The Dominion War is the best storyline in the Star Trek Universe and the arc from the end of season 5 to the middle of season 6 is brilliant.

2. The Original Series-- The chemistry between the cast members cannot be disputed, and despite some hammy moments for the most part it delivered pure, progressive sci-fi. It's an iconic series.

3. The Next Generation-- Patrick Stewart was fantastic throughout, but there were a lot of really weak moments in the first two seasons, and in a lot of episodes the special effects were cheesier than even the original series. It did get better as it went along, though... and I think the chemistry grew between them, especially after they got rid of Wesley.

4. Enterprise-- I haven't seen every episode, but it had a weak start and it blew its intriguing premise by starting out with a 'time war' with new characters when it should have launched into the Federation/Romulan war and had them shooting nuclear weapons at each other. Still, I liked the cast and there were some great episodes.

5. Voyager-- I haven't seen every episode but I've seen a few and as far as I can tell, this is like a more boring version of TNG. The characters were dull or annoying, and while I like the idea of a female captain, Kate Mulgrew sounds like she smokes 3 packs a day and I bet her uniform smells like shit. The potential tension with the Maquis crewmembers didn't really go anywhere. Practically every episode I've seen so far is overly-talky and stuffed with boring technobabble and stale ideas. Maybe I'm missing something here because apparently this show has fans, but I have yet to see a truly great episode.

2. RubySoho6

RubySoho6 Organized Chaos

Where's odonII????? I'm sure he has plenty to say about this.

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I only started watching DS9 when I found out Scorpio from Dirty Harry was in it, he was my favourite, the best episodes where when he was doing some sneaky spy stuff. After that anything with Worf or Klingons, and Sisko getting badass. The rest of the cast I kind of hated, and there was too much religous shit in it

The original series kind of blows, I dont know what all the fuss is about.

Next Generation looks very hokey in high def, but always had a thing for Riker

Enterprise - I love the last season, if they had done it like that from the start, it would have been a ripper of a show

Voyager is probably my favourite though, its been on here in the middle of the day. channel 90 I think, for the last couple years, often I'll lock myself in my office and have lunch when its on. And I dont really know why its my favourite, its like the McDonalds of star trek, you know what you are getting, theres not one character or storyline that is too annoying, and all the previous series look too dated, stands up better in high def, Enetrprise would too if it wasnt so boring

But as for Sci fi TV, prefer Stargate to Star trek, thats usually a lot wittier, and as for sci fi movies prefer Star Wars to Star Trek. As attrocious as half of Phantom Menacce and the whole of Attack of the Clones were, just about creaming myself in anticipation for VII, I'll never get that excited about a Star Trek Movie

4. Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy Zen & Bearded

Gotta say Next Gen, man. Loved Picard, Data was entertaining in his own way, always liked La Forge.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

The Next Generation and Voyager are my favourites but it might just be because I grew up with those. I never watched Deep space nine and the original series never really appealed to me either. I thought Enterprise has its perks as well, for instance I really liked the intro tune with the images :p (that was not all I liked though ;))

6. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

For me it is definitely TNG, after that it's the original series.
    Those, IMHO, were the ones that really had that "new and original sci-fi" feel to them, the others, sad to say, simply became yet more entries into the night time soap opera offerings, only this time in space.
    I was also horribly disappointed in the remake of Battle Star Galactica, another cheezy soap opera set in space.
    Caprica I liked because it was exactly what it intended, a dialogue rich back-story to the entire Battle Star universe, too bad they cancelled it.
    Battle Star Galactica on the other hand promised lots of space action, which it delivered interspersed amongst lots of second rate drama and daytime soap plots.
    Disappointing IMHO.

But it would appear I have drifted of course.

"Sulu, plot in a course for Hip Forums!"

"Roger Captain"
    "Scotty, full warp speed"
    "Aye, Aye Captain, but I'm given her all she's got, if I push her anymore we're gonna blow a warp core!"
    "We have arrived at Earth, Hip Forums, Captain"
    "OK Sulu, Spock scan for intelligent life forms"
    "Scanning now Captain"
    "No intelligent life forms detected Captain. It would appear that this area of Earth has been overtaken by a sub-group of humans known as "Hippies".
    "Hmmmm, Very well Spock, send down an away team to score a couple pounds of buds, then we're outta this pit."

"Very well, Captain"

:alien:

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Battlestar turned to shit cos of the writers strike, you could tell, somewhere there in season 3 all of a sudden it turned to high school drama class, same with Heroes, that killed that show as well

8. RubySoho6

Seriously, where is odon?????

9. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

In order of favorites:
    1. Star Trek DSN
    2. Star Trek TNG
    3. The Original Star trek
    4. Star Trek Voyager
    5. Star Trek Enterprise

Non Star Trek but still Sci-Fi

Babylon 5
    Stargate SG-1
    Stargate Atlantis
    Battlestar Galactica (1978)
    Battlestar Galactica (2004)
    V (1983)
    V (2009)
    Roswell (1999-2002)
    The 4400 (2004)
    The First Wave (1998)

Hotwater :2thumbsup:

10. odonII

odonII O

:rolleyes:

:coffee: I'm thinking.

11. RubySoho6

Studying your charts and graphs?

12. odonII

odonII O

I'm building a knowledge graph...

13. RubySoho6

Oh sweet baby jesus, and I'm the nerd???? hahahaha!

14. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

I agree.

I still watched the whole thing, but there was a noticeable drop in quality right after they left New Caprica.

15. odonII

odonII O

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

16. RubySoho6

hahahahahahahahaha!!!

17. Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy Zen & Bearded

18. odonII

odonII O

I 'grew up' with TNG so that one I will put at the top.
    I used to have a little viewfinder and stand really close to the TV when the title sequence was on.
    As if I was up there is space.
    It's hard to explain. You had to be there.

I liked TNG. I think I learnt a lot about life from that show. Like Picard, I try to be fair and reasonable.

My fave episode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I liked DS9 ... but far too many annoying characters. Actually, every single one of them was annoying. God only knows why I watched any of it.

I had a bit of Star Trek fatigue at this point.

Then Voyager brought me back into the fold.

I liked that show.

When Kathy (as I like to call her) had her hair sorted...I liked it even more.

Then Enterprise...

Well, I was hoping for so much. An epic fail.

TOS was alright, I suppose.

19. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Chain of Command is one of the few episodes I detest and Ronny Cox who plays Captain Jellico is a fucking tyrant [​IMG]

Hotwater

20. odonII

odonII O

[​IMG]

Does this face look bothered? ;)

I liked it. Sorry.