Best Metal Genre Poll

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal' started by Philip909, Apr 16, 2007.

1. enigmatic_void

enigmatic_void Member

lol

2. junkhead

junkhead Member

no fucking Grind or Sludge?

fucking false

3. Lysol

Lysol Member

stoner metal.

4. Metallideth

Metallideth Sir

Good call, Pine-Sol.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

For a metal genre or for the best metal genre? Which bands fit into the stoner metal genre anyway? Orange Goblin maybe? Electric Wizard perhaps? I wouldn't call them that by the way, I'm just curious for which bands you use it for.

6. Metallideth

Metallideth Sir

Sleep, Orange Goblin, Sons of Otis, The Mighty Nimbus, Electric Wizard, Kyuss, Alabama Thunderpussy, some Sasquatch, even though the vocalist has an annoying radio rock voice...

Sleep are definitely my favorite.

7. Asmodean

I thought Kyuss was typical stoner rock, but I guess that's the same thing then. Would also match with Wikipedia that way:

8. Metallideth

Metallideth Sir

The only way to really seperate the stoner rock from metal is how heavy it is. Sasquatch is more of a stoner rock band, whereas Sleep is definitely more of a metal sound. Wikipedia doesn't hold all the answers, and they're doing a great injustice to the stoner metal genre by tossing it together with rock. Oh well.

9. Asmodean

I agree about Wikipedia, but when it comes to a band like Sleep it's more often and in my opinion better defined as a mix of stoner rock and doom metal (stoner/doom). But in the end when it comes to metalgenres and band definitions I also think oh well, haha.
    Stoner metal covers an awful lot of bands that way, so you still don't know what kind of band it is (which I find the only use for subgenres really).