Best Live Bands

Discussion in 'UK Music Forum' started by bokonon, May 23, 2004.

1. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

What was your first gig?
    What are some of your favourite gigs?

First for me was Oasis in 1997, supported by baby-debut-album Travis. Pretty sweet despite being a good mile or so from the stage!

Been to a few gigs recently which are batteling for number 1 spot. Furthest back in time is Radiohead (this year though). They were totally amazing as were support act Asian Dub Foundation who I hadn't really got into 'til that concert.

Super Furry Animals! They put on one hell of a show, easily the best pre-encore and encore I've seen. When they went off stage they just had this guy sit at a computer and turn the venue into a club for 20 minutes. He fucking rocked. And he went on a while as backstage, the band were getting dressed up as yeti's before returning to stage to finish the song they departed with before 'The Man Don't Give A Fuck'.

And most recently The Beta Band, who seemed to finish very quick. No drugs for that gig though which would explain a lot. But they were excellent, and had a drum duel at one point which was great to see. They even put a Buddy Holly song on in between a couple of their own, what more could you ask for :)

2. boog

boog A square peg

I think the best gigs iv been to were The cramps in nott and ICP in brum.
    they were both real fun and lots of jumping around ensued :)
    and Ministry were pretty fun aswell.
    the trouble is i have a really bad memory whenevr it comes to gig's and can only remember the last year or so.
    But they stick out in my mind

3. Xiola

Xiola One Lonely Seagull

Jane's Addiction was the first big gig I went to...and they were most deffinatly the best! I doubt that there is a better frount-man than Perry Farrell anywhere in this world!
    "Farrell is someone who commands attention, then hits your senses with an aural assault the likes of which you won't forget." :p

Or maybe I'm just obsessed with them...

4. boog

boog A square peg

yes i think you may be a little obsessed :)

5. Xiola

Xiola One Lonely Seagull

Hey! I made a web site about them too:p

(I possibly have to much free time as well!)

6. Power_13

Power_13 insult ninja

Bruce Springsteen is a good live performer. He and his band have an amazing amount of energy and presence onstage.

7. zopilote

zopilote Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

aye, the beta band are fantastic live...

first gig ever wsa muse, which wasnt really that good...my first gig of note was mark knopflera few years back...and he was wonderful

if i had to pick some of my top gigs these would definately be amongst them -

the mountain goats this year, hes gets so into his songs, so much power from just an acoustic guitar and a bass, and some great stories behind the songs that i didnt know before, just an incredibly entertaining gig

gomez a couple of years back, might have been more their sound man than them but the sound was incredible, really filled the whole room out...plus they seemed to be having an amazing time themselves which was really infectious

and definately worthy of mention are explosions in the sky, who, though it was only a three song set, just completely blew me away

8. miabubble

miabubble Member

First gig... something like take that or something. Not really worth mentioning.

Fave gig - Biffy Clyro, Queen Margaret Union April 2003. fucking immense gig. made all the better by Si breaking his leg at the end...

that was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

My second best was Radiohead in the Edinburgh Corn Exchange- it was the set of gigs that were totally unadvertised and the COr Exchange was relatively small. My ex ruined it a bit for me though, he keppt dragging him around after him and I ended up rather sick. :(

9. Jim

Jim Senior Member

My favourite gig is when I saw John Mayall's Bluesbreakers in Salt Lake City a couple of years ago... Live blues is the best.. *sigh*

10. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

Beta Band, Mountain Goats, Explosions in the Sky ... may I just compliment you on your musical taste there buddy?!:D

I saw the Beta Band years ago and Explosions in the Sky a couple of weeks ago. First gig for me was the Wedding Present ... most memorable probably Mogwai playing to thirty people in a pub before they were famous... and Melt-Banana! A more intense live band I have never seen.

11. miabubble

miabubble Member

I've yet to experience the wonder that is Explosions in the Sky live. :(

12. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

first gig was at the hebridean celtic festival up in lewis and it was afro celt sound system...was absolutely amazing...
    no i lie-i saw dougie maclean many times before that who is also amazing.....
    then theres wolfstone which just rock my socks off.... since then now im in a band i get to see a LOT of live bands and those that go on before us(weve been headlining a lot recently) so all is good!! yey!
    namaste
    x x x

13. Claire

Claire Senior Member

Saw Hole years ago, they were great. Love were great in Feb and Aug last year! The Doors were great last November and will no doubt be great in July too:)

Am looking forward to seeing The Levellers in August and gutted that the Simon and Garfunkle tickets are sooo expensive:mad:

Love Clairexxx

14. Xiola

Xiola One Lonely Seagull

:eek: Not fair!!!

15. Adamist

Adamist Member

My first show was Tool in Florida, that was fucking mind-blowing! It kinda ruined alot of shows since then though, cuz it was so good.

Some favorites since are Particle and Sound Tribe Sector 9, both bands have great energy live.

16. yazzi

yazzi Member

U2. all the way.

17. Polka Dots and Strip

Polka Dots and Strip Member

My faveourites have to be Muse, very loud an over the top an fun!

Also the divine comedy, 'this is dedicated to UKIP, just joking, there a bunch of.....cunts!'

Need i say more?

18. Hippie_Girl

Hippie_Girl Innit!

My first gig was Bon Jovi at The Millennium Stadium back in 2000. It was a fantastic gig. I really do love going to gigs.

I have been to Glastonbury 3 times so some of the bands I've seen who have been amazing were there. But here is a list of the best bands I have seen live....

Glastonbury...
    Ash
    Coldplay
    Faithless
    Rolf Harris
    Jools Holland
    The White Stripes
    The Vines

REM
    Jimmy Cliff

The Rutles
    Joss Stone
    Paul McCartney
    Bright Eyes
    Babyhead

Badly Drawn Boy

Move Festival 2002
    David Bowie
    Divine Comedy
    Suede

The Coral. Thye were amazing and so good to get you tapping your feet!
    The Libertines (all 3 times) They are mental live and very entertaining. Ive seen them 2 without Pete and once with :D
    The Bees
    The Thrills

Massive Attack (both times) They are purely amazing live and I saw them in Bristol on both accounts. AWSOME!

Thea Gilmore

The Steets

The bands I see at Glastonbury can usually come to me when someone mentions other bands... it triggers something off when I come back from Glastonbury in a blur :p

19. TheFly

TheFly Member

First gig was Gary Numan sometime around 84 maybe... got taken by my oldest brother who was a big Numanoid at the time...

Saw Blur at Mile End stadium at the height of their Parklife fame... great gig... totally off my tits and had a great time...

Manic Street Preachers in Cardiff at the end of the Know Your Enemy tour... not that long after they had played to Castro in Cuba... great gig... full of passion and spite in equal measures...

Pulp at Eden... a couple of years back... right at the front havong s fucking party... Jarvis was on top form and it was just a spectatcular singalong evening in full party spirit... and then the next day I went back and saw Spiritualised do a fantastic gig... remember just lying on one of the hills overlooking the arena listening to this wall of sound...

U2 at Cardiff on the Zooropa tour must count as the most mindblowing experience... just stunning presentation... and I was right at the front directly before Bono... what a poseur... bless him...

Good times...

Fly...