Best Homemade Shampoo and Conditioner Recipe?

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by Yell, Jun 17, 2006.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Like Nimh, I had BIG problems with baking soda.
    It is too alkaline, even with the acid rinse (vinegar or lemon juice- I think it's a personal preference thing: or a dilution problem)

I did condish only(CO), and water only, and my hair needs a cleaner other than itself most of the time.
    When traveling, CO is fine, and easier to pack for.
    back to the recipies,
    long ago, we'd refer people to Pioneerthinking.com
    it's of limited value, but the aromatherapy board in their forums has some good posters.
    http://www.pioneerthinking.com/hair.html
    or this:
    http://onibasu.com/blog/2005/05/homemade-shampoo-conditioner.html

2. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

so would you say that the baking soda treatment is bad for pple with frizzy hair? (my hair is frizzy frizzy frizzy!) i'm a conditioner-only veteren, ive been doing it since like middle school-but it still leaves my hair frizzy. would it be alright if i used like a baby-bit of baking soda and a little more lemon juice? (oily hair is NO problem for me!)

3. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

best thing i've found for the frizzies is a vinegar rinse. 2 tbsp of vinegar and about a liter of water, use as a final rinse, and dont rinse out. the slight acidity closes down the cuticles, and gets the hair to sit flat and shiney. :) beauty!!

ps, bs made my hair fall out :(

4. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

wow, thanks ill try that! i tried the bs-i think it made it even more frizzier X_X but it did feel EXTREMELY soft! (now thats an oxy moron...)

5. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

i just use tea tree oil hemp castille soap by dr bronners. it doesnt leave a residue, just very shiny very clean hair.

6. happykoala

happykoala Member

hmmm, I've been using baking soda for a while and I haven't lost hair. I wonder why it caused your hair loss, nimh.

7. Blonde_Revolutionary

Blonde_Revolutionary Member

Seaweed and mediteranean sea salt. I swear by this.

If you want to be lazy, lush has a bar made from this.

If you have really dry hair, add a few drops of olive oil.

8. drumminmama

koala, I think the shedding is simply more noticeable when you use soaps over detergents and even more mechanical cleaning over anything. using shampoo-soap bars or baking soda or even water only is more elbow grease than actual cleansers.
    It's shed you'd lose over a couple days, but you are getting it all out up front.

9. Unkle_John

Unkle_John Member

My wife sells Arbonne. It's an all natural body care line, no chemicals, just plants. I use the shampoo and conditioner and have noticed that not only it got rid of some split ends (not all), it also brought out the natural color in my hair (which I thought was brown, but more of a red/brown). If anyone is interested in becoming a seller, PM me and she can set you up. I'm a firm believer in this stuff, it works great.

10. drumminmama

sorry John, no shampoo "gets rid" of splits, most likely the formula has a -cone in it which glues the splits together temporarily.

11. Unkle_John

Unkle_John Member

Your right, I mistyped what I meant. What I was trying to say was that I found fewer breaks and split ends. It just seemed to fix the problem. But yes you'll stil have to trim your hair.

12. drumminmama

you only have to get the splits themselves: it's called dusting or search and destroy.

13. ratgirldjh69

ratgirldjh69 Member

have any of you tried egg shampoo? i use it sometime. what i do is take 2 or 3 egg yolks and then put them in a bottle with a little lemon or lime juice and a bit of water and shake it til it gets frothy and then pour it onto your wet hair. rub it all around and then rinse. that's it! sometimes i would just add the water and some rosemary oil (so you don't have the eggy smell) and use the lemon/lime/water rinse separately.
    just make sure you rinse with cool water so you won't cook egg into your hair. of course this is only for people who don't mind using eggs...
    plain lime juice and water also works pretty good once you are weaned off shampoo.
    lately i have been water only or shampoo bars - depending on how i feel.
    i think i am going to do the egg thing and add some virgin coconut oil and let it sit and then wash it out with a shampoo bar....
    djh