Best 'Hippy' Careers?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by TattoedAquarian, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

freelance writing! thats what I want to do!!!

2. Zion

Zion Member

Anything artistic and natural, Im a filmmaker

3. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

Artistic is a reoccuring theme; free-thinking people tend to need free-thinking careers that show their personal individuality Hippies don't fit in the box well unless they chose to be in disguise.

4. Shiningstar

Shiningstar Member

Whatever makes you happy.....

Considering the above...I'm a little nervous about saying I'm an IT Project Manager in Software Development.

Hip is in the eyes of the beholder I guess :)

5. Skoozy

Skoozy Member

I don't know about the "eye of the beholder" . But it's in the eyes and in the heart.. I know a Hippy at at heart, young or old when I meet them.. Yes many of us are forced into "real" jobs. Usually after having a child or two you realize you can't feed a family by smoking pot and painting waterfalls.. I've made costumes, sold art, sold weed, took care of old people, cleaned house, raised my own food.. Done whatever I could do to keep from punching a (ugh) time clock.. but unfortunatlly I am an artist forced into retail management.. welcome to the real world.. God I miss the 70's..

6. jypsymoth3

jypsymoth3 Member

I am goining to be going to school next year to do wildlife conservation, that was the best thing I could figure to do with myself and give back to my mother earth.

7. Floyd Soul

Floyd Soul The Walkin' Dude

I'd love to do that so much. There must be such a huge range of courses over in the states. Then again we get ours for free so I won't complain.

8. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

LIBRARIAN lol yeah right on in the name of books!

9. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

I think a few folks are reading us wrong; most hippies use their creativity where ever they wind up career-wise. Cinnamom works a 'reg job' because the job came to her and the money was needed; plus we sell tie-dyes & jewelry, not for the money but because it links us in with lots of folks so the 'hippie message' of peace & love can be spread.

What I want to know is where the phrase 'lazy hippie' came from...

Most hippies I know aren't lazy at all!

(and skoozy, you can use creativity in any of the jobs you've had; I take care of an old person w/alzihiemers and 'hippie knowledge' such as massage & aroma therapy can come in quite handy. Shine the Light where ever you are & you'll be happy there.-Cinnamom)

10. jypsymoth3

jypsymoth3 Member

Good point,I worked at a miracle gro factory for 5 months working overtime non-stop. Not only did I work my self out of gettin layd off, but I also bcame head machine operator within the first 2 months I worked their. and then the corp. bastards still endded up laying me off.

11. ArmyHippieChick

ArmyHippieChick Member

Haha. That's exactly how I found this place! (Well, except for the library part. I am visiting my parents in between travel destinations. ;) )

12. Hipperrer

Hipperrer Guest

get hip get hi an hang outt, groove yoh hair dreadyier , bee free an collect food stampz an vuk-shit hed pigz

13. Plasticfantasticlover

Plasticfantasticlover Member

Owning a food co-op?

14. Geriatric Delinquent

Geriatric Delinquent Member

Social Security funded test dummies for the big drug companies. :smilielol5:

15. SunnyHappyVegan

SunnyHappyVegan Member

I'm really curious as to what I should do with myself too...
    I like baking a lot, and think it would be soo much fun to own my own vegan/organic/local cafe- but it would be a lot of work.
    I like writing, but not free lance, maybe journalism? But I'm not sure if I'm good enough at that...
    I also like art- but I feel like a life devoted to art wouldn't be the best for me :(

I want to do something to help the environment and animals in some way, but have tons of fun doing it

16. John13np

John13np Member

I have a blast being a Ranger for the US Forest Service.

Get paid to do what I love doing in the outdoors.

Oh, and they don't drug test :D

17. darkstar~co!

darkstar~co! Member

there is no classified jobs suitable for hippies and hippies alone... do whatever the hell you want...

18. psychedelicg1rl

psychedelicg1rl Member

I am going to be doing wildlife rehab. I think it is pretty hippy friendly if you want to call it that.

19. SunnyHappyVegan

SunnyHappyVegan Member

Can you tell me what a day in the life looks like for that job?
    I've looked at things like that, and descriptions were always vague -_-

20. InvisibleLantern

InvisibleLantern Member

I second SunnyHappyVegan's request!

I'm a writer - the only resources I use for my job are the computer, the energy that it takes to run it, and the tea that keeps me going. I think that the fact that I don't have to commute to work makes it a pretty hippy job. :) Plus, I get to write about things that help people!

Pretty much every writing job (besides some journalism) is being outsourced these days - so take advantage of this trend! If you have the skills, nobody is going to care whether you write from home or write from your van by the river.