Best 'Hippy' Careers?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by TattoedAquarian, Jan 22, 2005.

1. peace_on_earth

peace_on_earth Member

man i have to say i sorta agree with sublime cause you can do anything and its gonna be a hip career if you make it hip. but im gonna be living outta my pack in 2 weeks and to me thats the most hip thing in the world.to me.

2. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

not neccisarily, if your smoothe about it. get rid of your paper trail, pay off all of your debt and get payed under the tabe, dont spend it rediculously and buy an escalade or huge ass house or anything. its possible to live for a long ass time without the govt. taking your money.

3. Lights

Lights Member

Well, in questioning the "any career can be hip" veiw, what if you worked for Lockheed Martin and the end result of all your work was death.

Can that be a hip career?

4. Mystic Echo

Mystic Echo Member

Astrology, Writer, Artist, Musician, Head Shop Owner, Dancer, Archeologist,
    Massage Therapist,Naturopath, Freelance _____(anything), Historian, Park Ranger, Small Business Owner, Painter, Florist, Landscaper, Carpenter, Herbalist, Craft-Worker, Performance Artist, those are the ones that come to mind...

5. FreakerSoup

FreakerSoup Stranger

Accountant...or a marine. Or perhaps a FACIST DICTATOR OF THE WORLD!

6. Sus

Sus Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I worked in natural foods stores for years...got to the point that I was actually starting to make some decent money (I worked in vitamin/herb/body care depts.)...but my body was just exhausted, not to mention my nerves, so I am working to "upgrade" my skills in the fields of herbalism, and spiritual counseling...

7. turtlefriend

turtlefriend Member

I'm planning on being an art teacher 'till I can make any money writing my stuffs.

MUAHAHAHA! Niiiiiiiiiice.

8. gumbygurl

gumbygurl Member

A job that expresses yourself. not one with a uniform so that you look like everyone else. Unless of course you dig that. When your young your choices are limited but just be yourself and respect your co-workers at least whne your around them. Because some of them can be real dirtbags. Most of all try and make the best of it even if it's fastfood. - peace:H

9. bluefairy

bluefairy Member

sounds like an awesome job to me. you think people would give any handouts. but...what kind of handouts???

10. bluefairy

bluefairy Member

im thinking about being an art conservator. theres nothing better than playing with chemicals and old art work. plus think of how amazing it will be to travel around the world, working on old masterpieces. and ill get to study other cultures, which is what being a hippy is all about-understanding.

11. Senk

Senk Member

Well I work my ass off as a Mortgage Loan Processor, Sure I work for money hungry bastards, but as for my Salary I work for every penny. To me its not who I am, but it is what I do. My goals for my family and I are the most important thing in the world to me. Because I eventually want my Domehome in the hills with an organic farm and multiple "bunk houses" for friends and family to come and stay/work. I have to work now why I'm young so I can do these things. Its a path to realization of dreams. Sure I get miserable sitting behind a desk for 50 hours a week, sure I'd rather be home working in my garden or backpacking in the 7 devils. But I have to think about the future and what really needs to happen so the future can be perfect. I am a phunky, phreaky hippy dude no matter what. At work I put on my mask of business (even though I usually have some jammmin music comming lightly from my comp speakers.) but once I step out the door the shirt comes untucked/unbuttoned, I purposfully mess my hair up and it is time to let my freak flag fly. I am what I am.

Senk

12. TattoedAquarian

TattoedAquarian Senior Member

(I agree...)

13. DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman Member

Computer programmer. It's a "white collar" job without the white collar (unless you work for a Wall Street firm, which you can't do if you haven't worked for a Wall St. firm, or some other dorky place). One of the jobs I had, doing credit automation development, sounds like it could have been a drag, but almost everyone who worked there had a bizarre sense of humor, including the executives. Now that it's been bought out by a bank, I don't think any of the people I knew are still there, and based on its website, it's become a drag.

Ever since I got into computers about 30 years ago, I've always felt a sense of power and accomplishment every time I solved a problem, and when I got into artificial intelligence, those feelings were magnified several times over. The best part is that I got into it without even having a degree in computer science. (I studied organic chemistry, and since I did my research in organosulfur chemistry, many people are thankful that I found something to do that doesn't reek!)

Oh, yeah. I was also doing ASCII art in 1968, using a keypunch, a card reader, and a line printer, except in those days, it probably would have been called "Hollerith art." I made a hookah out of the word "GRASS" and used the word "SMOKE" to make the smoke coming out of the bowl.

14. Vicious_Vibez

Vicious_Vibez Member

Ganja-grower, roadie, psychedelic warrior, wal-mart greeter:)!!!

15. joker

joker Senior Member

Philosophy-freelance writer, professor, lecturer
    psychology-therapist, social worker
    journalist
    art-poet, fiction writer, painter, musician
    owning their own business-what you feel like selling

16. mart_182

mart_182 Member

psychedelic warrior, nice! my name (martyn) means warrior - i think i have found my purpose:D

17. empathy

empathy Member

i'd have to say a politician, we're all such an idealistic bunch.
    psychologist or something along those lines.
    dealer.
    hemp clothing store

18. element7

element7 Random fool

Bus Driver for your own touring company.

On the road and travelling the nomad life, experience waiting tables. There's restaraunts no matter where you go and there's always a turnover at most places anyway. Cold hard cash in hand in case you need to go the route of 'job' and can't wait 2 or 3 weeks for that 1st paycheck. Also c-store clerk, even though that's a stricter affair and rather sucks there's a billion of em everywhere, some experience can land a quick job in a pinch , plus there's usually leftover sandwiches and stuff like that that could come in handy to feed one's belly (though most places have this whole thing about insisting that all leftovers must be thrown out, they dissappear on the way to the dumpster).

19. Sabel

Sabel Member

Anthropologist :H

20. Namaste

Namaste Member

I think some job working with kids would be good.