Best 'Hippy' Careers?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by TattoedAquarian, Jan 22, 2005.

1. TattoedAquarian

TattoedAquarian Senior Member

~deadhead - Right on!

~jailmate - If only i got free weed and could survive off only that...

~hippievixen - awesome answer! - And that's actually one of 2 reasons why i stayed so long where i was. I haven't smoke din a few days because i have to take a test before i start my new job and i don't want to waste money on a kit - i'm poor...

2. Luke (crazy horse)

Luke (crazy horse) Member

I think any job where you are helping the environment, spreading good messages, promoting good food/health, creating music/art, and helping people are all good. Anything meaningful and fullfilling.

I'd like to work with nature and also I'd like to do music.

3. JaymeLynn

JaymeLynn Member

i signed up for your awesome hippie forum! See ya soon! ~~~Jayme~~~ [​IMG]

4. TattoedAquarian

~Jayme - You're my hero!!! Tell me if you ever start a thread or anything on here... I talked to my boyfriend again about the whole Shedd Aquarium/hotel weekend idea, but we still are undecided about whether or not we'll be able to afford it... Talk to yah later man!

5. Lights

Lights Member

A farming commune. Everyone wrks toward the farm, and you all share the food. any extra is sold or given to the poor. Anyone want to join me on one? It will take a little work to get it started, but if everyone works together, after that it should be pretty easy.

6. TattoedAquarian

~Lights - I was actually thinking about doing that in the future and still might. For now though, since i want to continue going to school and all, i think i'm going to stick around non-commune society... Nice though.

7. Lights

Lights Member

My friend is doing it after he finishes college to study botony, unfortunatly he's doing it in Sri Lanka.

8. Curious_Jane

Curious_Jane Member

To tell you the truth I don't like anything I've tried that is " " a real job! Not yet anyways it seems no matter what I do I'm always answering to someone or having to kiss someone ass to make at least 6$ an hour!!! But I'm only 21 hopefully things will change after I graduate school. My dream job would be to travel as a music journalist.

9. Gr8fulyDeadicated

Gr8fulyDeadicated Member

well, i've actually given a lot of thought to being a school crossing guard. part time work, gets you out of the house to see the dawn, and of course you get to help & be friends with all the little kids in the neighborhood.

either that or a wildlife photographer, trompin around the mountains, campin & takin pictures. can you just imagine what kind of life ansel adams must have?

10. TattoedAquarian

~Luke(CH) - Yeah, how true! I really like the horse in your signature. I haven't gone riding in a little over a year and really miss it...

~Lights - Wow! I'm very happy for your friend (and a little jealous although i hate to admit it) I'm sure that he will have quite an experience. I have a friend who went through the foreign exchange thing and it was really interesting to see how much he grew from it; i hope yours does as well...

~CuriousJane - Yeah i know exactly what you mean about having to work some job u hate and kiss someone's ass just for a lowsey pay... I think having all the shitty jobs that i've had though were good for me in retrospect though because they inspired me to want to get further education; before i always thought i'd be content working anywhere as long as i got to come home to a nice life, but now i know it's equally important to have job you enjoy as well... Goodluck with your journalism, that sounds like an awesome career; if it works out for you, you should start a thread of all your articles - I know that i'd read them!

~Gr8fulyD... - (Sorry, sometimes i get lazy with names) I can see where a lot of people would enjoy being a school crossing guard. Kids walk all over me though because i can't discipline; i just don't like telling anyone what to do, even if i know it's for their own good. (i'm sorta spineless, especially with kids) The comments in your 2nd para. sounded more my pace thgough... Thanks for sharing, goodluck with protecting the youth!

11. Gr8fulyDeadicated

Gr8fulyDeadicated Member

well, i'm not actually gonna be a school crossing guard any time soon. and i'm with ya, i really hate telling anyone what to do. i'd rather everybody just do what needs to be done with the minimum of aggravation. immediate future: my hubby and i have some plans for starting a mom-n-pop travelin tattoo shop.

12. Floyd Soul

Floyd Soul The Walkin' Dude

Nowadays kids are sent to school so they can be launched into society. Lets face it, we don't exactly learn anything particularly valuable. Then they are expected to get the best job they can possibly have. Why? So they can have loads of money. Then they can take out a big mortgage and own a big house. Fill it with all nice conveniences that aren't really needed.

They work so hard for a house and conveniences that don't make them happy, only secure. With work there is no time to even enjoy said house. And a simple mistake could mean bankruptcy and losing it all.

Personally I don't want to go down that path.

Rant over :rolleyes:

13. TattoedAquarian

~Gr8tfullyDeadicated - Wow! The "mom-n-pop traveling tat shop" sounds really cool! How great! I have a few friends who are tat artists and one of my boyfriends close friends actually owns a shop in our town. (www.fleshgear.org) As if the whole tat shop idea wasn't cool enough, a traveling one; wow! Best wishes to you both! I have another thread about tattoos on this forum, i'd love to read your thoughts on that one if you find the time...

~Floydsoul - Well perhaps that may be intent of the government/producers, but i think it's really up to the students themselves to decide. I know that although i don't want the 'typically sought after life', which you described in your post, but i am thankful that i got an education...

14. talleywacker

talleywacker Member

i am going to colorado this week to apply for jobs in a resort town. cost of living will be high but i wanna camp and travel to shows all summer. work my butt off in the mountains and be able to smile when i wake up and see snow

15. TattoedAquarian

~talleywacker - *smile* That sounds very nice. Best of luck!

16. Gr8fulyDeadicated

Gr8fulyDeadicated Member

well now, my rugrats are gonna need a nice cushy job, cuz we all plan on moving in with them as soon as they get a place!!! and i'm hangin out in my boxers, leaving my dirty dishes in the living room, eating all the icecream, never rewinding the videos...

hahahaaa! anyways i torture my 10 yo with the thought of us living with him and being as wonderful housemates as he is with us :p

17. TattoedAquarian

~GD - Hehe; revenge eh? Is that one of your kids picture's in your signature?

18. canadian_boy

canadian_boy Brohn Zmith

You can want to become like me a journalist to find the shit everywhere she is ;)

19. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

I want to be an organic farmer, live 50 miles from the nearest power pole, and never see another human being wearing a tie again.

20. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

I want to be an organic farmer, live 50 miles from the nearest power pole, and never see another human being wearing a tie again.

If I ever grow up, that is...