Best 'Hippy' Careers?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by TattoedAquarian, Jan 22, 2005.

1. TattoedAquarian

TattoedAquarian Senior Member

What do you all think is, or are, the best job(s) for 'hippies'?

2. redresonant

redresonant Member

well i would have to say playing music ... owning a restaraunt,,,being a succesful artist ... helping the homeless ..my old job... just about anything..we come from all walks of life.peter

3. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

playing music in a street, working @ a vegetarian restaurant or craft store, own their own business selling incense and batik... or soap shop...

4. redresonant

redresonant Member

hey you copied me

5. leighcushing

leighcushing Member

I am in school to be an archaeologist. Hopefully I will get to travel all around the world, while working outside in the dirt.

6. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

healing arts~naturopathy, herbalism, reiki, massage, reflexology, accupuncture, midwifery, doula'ing, etcc

farming~biodynamic/organic farming, hemp farming,

textile arts~clothing creation

politics~run as an independant

etc, etc, etc....

I think that you can take any 'mainstream' type of career and tweak it into something 'hippy'. it all depends on what you're into, what your interests are.......

7. gate68

gate68 Senior Member

Standing in the middle of Bob Hope Drive with a sign asking for handouts.

8. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

Who gives a shit?

9. akunasaka24

akunasaka24 Member

drug dealing

jk... I'd have to say something that has to do with helping people either physically, mentally, spiritually

10. TattoedAquarian

Nice ideas everyone, thanks for sharing your thoughts...
    It seems as though most of you, to summarize, thought that your idea of a 'hippie' is an individual who would enjoy working helping others (political, spiritual, etc.), with some sort of art, or with the earth. Interesting... I suppose that those would go along well with what i believe to be 'hippy ideals'. And even being homeless would, I've known a lot of 'bums' in my day - as i'm sure redresonant has because i think he mentioned something about working at a shelter - but i mean bums don't answer to anyone really; they just do their own thing...

11. Pa_Hippie124

Pa_Hippie124 Member

Living in Woods , Playing Your Guitar and Taking In Nature

12. dayafterpuberty

dayafterpuberty Member

you know. I know alot of young hippies such as myself trying to become mechanics. Such as myself.

13. TattoedAquarian

~Pa Hippie -Ahh yes, the woods... Very Walden of you ~smiles~. I actually would very much like to do just that before i die... Or i could just wait until i die and just have a radio put in my coffin and accomplish the same thing in death. (wow, that was quite morbid of me) I thankyou for your comment...
    ~dayafterpuberty - (I love your name!) Yes, i have a lot of 'hippy mechanic' friends as well. I've asked a couple of them before why they were attracted to it and the general census was because it's like they were creating/or fixing something in their own way. They just liked the idea of actually doing something that they found productive/useful as a career - not just being piled behind paperwork in some office working for something that they didn't even believe in. But, on a less serious note. they also said they liked working on cars because they say it gets them chicks (supposedly,but i've never seen any of these chicks...) and because of all the available suppy which is at their disposal. Why do you think many 'young hippies' are attracted to mechanic work, if you don't mind my asking?

14. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

maybe it's part of that whole zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance thing?

...and then there's always biodiesel and retrofitting diesels to run on alternate fuel :D

...and the entire vw van subculture.

15. all_rhodesian_reject

all_rhodesian_reject Sonskyn Elvis

having a career seems un hippy...but if you HAVE to have a job...then working in a surf shack

16. Woodstock

Woodstock Member

photographer, designer, beer/weed tester ;), meditation guide, artist, teacher, director, shopkeeper/barkeeper, forestguard, surfer, traveller, you name it...

17. TattoedAquarian

Interesting... Thanks for all your comments! There's probably going to be a like out of work hippy using the internet at the library, goes to google and types "Jobs for Hippies" and he'll get this thread... - See we're helping others... (Sort of... )

18. jailmate

jailmate Plantenist

nut voikin 4 duh pigz iz my full time Hippknoizum.

19. jay

jay Member

Being a carpenter, Its fun and useful
    A janitor, you can just float around washing floors no real rush
    or somehting i hope to do is become a teacher, learn them kids up good, and maybe show them their are other options

20. TattoedAquarian

~Jailmate - I wish i had your 'conviction'... I've already succumed and got a so-called real job where 'the man' rides my ass all day...

~Jay - (are you the same "jay" who answered my wisdom/advice/ thread?) NIce. I've thought of those except the janitor one; good reasons placed behind them i thought...