Best Floyd Album?

Discussion in 'Progressive Rock' started by MistyMountainTop, Dec 4, 2005.

1. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Roger Waters' support of Venezuelan President Maduro is disturbing. And encouraging halftime performers at the Superbowl to take a knee turned me off too. He's an entitled prick.

2. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

Perhaps because even though a vote could be taken in the end best is relative and is after all just opinion as was mine when I said Wish You Were Here was my favorite. It's merely opinion and as you know they very.

If sales are the ultimate measure then Dark Side of the Moon went 20xPlatinum which is their best showing in shipped category followed by The Wall which went 10x Platinum as for me I look beyond sales for my own purposes taking nothing away from this astonishing success either.

When we look at the number one songs the years theses albums debuted " Tie a Yellow Ribbon Around the Old Oak Tree " by Tony Orlando & Dawn 1973 and " My Sharona " by The Knack in 1979 one begins to understand just how astonishing their sales feats were. Looking back at the sheer volume of rubbish that passed for music during that time I'm still amazed.

I tip my hat to anyone who loves Pink Floyd !

parua likes this.
  3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Animals

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

You don't have to call other PF fans names just for disagreeing with you

5. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

LOL good one , hehehe !

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

They're just pigs on a wing

McFuddy likes this.
  7. Asmodean

I approve. Have another cigar

Meliai likes this.
  8. Asmodean

Lets face it people: Early Pink Floyd basically sounds like several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a Pict

McFuddy likes this.
  9. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Whichever album has the song "Learning To Fly"

10. parua

parua Members

If had not been the one who said that a poll would prove that The Dark Side of the Moon was the best album, I wouldn't have taken it as a joke either.

Now I would like to propose a poll for the second best Pink Floyd album, which will surely be unanimous in favor of Wish You Were Here...since it's a fact that it is the second best Pink Floyd album.

:D

Facts on number one songs for those years is interesting!

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

obscured
    ummagumma
    animals
    dark side
    meddle
    wish u
    final ****
    wall
    momentary
    division

rogers works
    pros and cons
    radio kaos
    amused

gilmour works
    on an island
    about face
    self title

rattle that lock is kinds shit.. still hasnt grown on me yet..

12. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Momentary Lapse of Reason

13. Floyd released an album called Final ****?

14. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

Exactly right almost everything before Obscured by Clouds was experimental as though they were in search of something , a sound , theme, purpose or maybe even themselves but then magic happened along with the advent of short lived AOR ( album oriented rock ) radio which also had it's " hey day " of seven years 1967-74. Those were the days when an AOR dj would put on a whole LP side while he smoked a bowl .Pink Floyd music from the 70's was made for AOR and sounded fabulous on FM stereo radios and the big console cabinet models of that era. It's important to remember FM radio was in it's infancy in the late 60's and early 70's. Ahhh what times those were I could go on but I think you're getting the picture.
    After 1974 AOR began to fade in popularity with the three big time rockers in my area all playing country music by the early '80's, they tried top forty for a few years but caved to the up and coming Nashville sound. As 1979 ended so too did AOR in my locale, the tidal wave of post punk and country music was the new groove for the '80's.

15. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

AOR circa 1970.
    [​IMG]
    I used to go to the Crossroads head shop listed under patrons till it got shutdown.
    And I believe I bought a hiking backpack at the Free Peoples' Store.

new Athenian likes this.
  16. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I used to confuse Pink Floyd with Frijid Pink. It had nothing to do with the music, just the name.
    Led Zeppelin once opened for them in Detroit.

17. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I never confused those two bands... But House of the Rising Sun by Frijid Pink is in my top ten songs of all times. That guitar tone is massive.

Mallyboppa likes this.
  18. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

For us it was the legendary WMC- 99.7 Memphis , WKDF 103.3 Nashville and WKIR -104.1 Jackson let's just say any top forty fan who accidentally tuned in these stations and listened for a minute would feel like his mind had been blown.
    I remember one of my supervisors at work commenting one day he thought everyone at the station we were listening to was on drugs. LOL
    I still laugh about that when I think of it.

Today WMC - adult contemporary
    WKDF- hot country
    WKIR is WOGY modern country

Unforgettable times I'm truly grateful to have experienced , radio listening was an adventure a new journey everyday that sometimes left you in complete awe at what you just heard, so unlike today when every station sounds the same, plays the same songs in every city on the map.

parua likes this.
  19. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

at least you're consistent. i hate answering "what's your favorite something" because i would have changed my mind over the course of five days.

20. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

All of them really !