Best Floyd Album?

Discussion in 'Progressive Rock' started by MistyMountainTop, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I'm probably going to be unpopular with Floyd fans, but I really like "A Momentary Lapse of Reason".

2. Libbygrable87

Libbygrable87 Members

The Wall, Animals, The Final Cut, Dark Side, and Relics
    Solo albums: David Gilmours About The Face and Roger Waters Amused To Death

3. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

The Wall, duh.

Orison likes this.
  4. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Animals, obvs

Orison likes this.
  5. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

Sorry guys but as a life long fan I think Wish You Were Here is their finest work with Dark Side of the Moon a close very close second.
    As with any creative artists they reached a creative peak or plateau where they functioned as one creative force. Their subsequent releases were also great but never quite reached the driving force heard in Wish You Were Here. I can also say the final releases were rather weak by comparison. This is a situation when an artist becomes a parody of himself/themselves,lately the most flagrant example of this is the Rolling Stones .

6. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Division Bell

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Hawkwind > Pink Floyd

BlackBillBlake likes this.
  8. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Never was a huge Floyd fan, but 'Relics' is probably my fave.

9. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

Not trying to be critical of your choice but Relics was a record company submission and compilation which did not of course represent a single studio effort or concept . The company was concerned that too much time would elapse between Atom Heart Mother and an upcoming release so this was really just filler material.

10. BlackBillBlake

As I say I was never a big fan. Didn't like their later stuff at all.

11. candys

candys Visitor

For me it's The Wall

12. BlackBillBlake

Hawkwind were always a band with more of a community feel for english hippy types, especially if you were into the free festival scene back in the day. Floyd were from some remote ivory tower by comparison. Much more a mainstream commercial band.

Hawkwind I always felt were more originally creative if a lot less polished.

13. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Meddle is pretty good.

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

That's what you get with Lemmy as a band member :grinning:

BlackBillBlake likes this.
  15. BlackBillBlake

That's where Lemmy got his big break - singing Silver Machine - only days after he joined the band.

16. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

I think the Wall was really great and was the last album of the 70's released in 1979 it placed them at the peak of commercial success as well. It seemed to me after that the creative forces on vivid display from Obscured by Clouds up to The Wall seemed to ebb. Perhaps it was a combination of things , record companies, aging, complacent attitudes as residual income mounts etc. I do know they weren't the same as the '80's unfolded and beyond. In the end though Pink Floyd was an incredible band that forged a unique sound and approach to songwriting daring to delve into subject material few would have ever considered. Personally I was a huge fan and could listen countless hours to their material. They created masterpieces of production and musical integrity that stands the test of time.
    Five albums starting with Obscured by Clouds '72, Dark Side of the Moon '73, Wish You Were Here '75 , Animals '77 and The Wall '79 are the bands " full Monty " a time when they truly were functioning with the utmost cohesion or musical oneness , music that gripped the listener start to finish without a weak tune in the bunch, this was their artistic " heyday ". Pink Floyd had reached the pinnacle of their artistic destiny and sustained it for those seven years between 1972-79 so beautifully.
    As I said above Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here are my favs but I also love the others in this listing.

17. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

18. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Damn! Beat me to it.
    I remember hearing this way back in time while tripping the light fantastic. You have to know what music was like in 1969 to understand what hearing this was like.

"That was pretty avant-garde, wasn't it?" ~ Roger Waters​

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  19. parua

parua Members

Why wasn't a poll included with this thread...so the majority could prove that the best Pink Floyd album is The Dark Side of the Moon. Fact

20. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Animals

tumbling.dice likes this.