Best Floyd Album?

Discussion in 'Progressive Rock' started by MistyMountainTop, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Sunsofcymbaline

Sunsofcymbaline Guest

I'm more partial to Meddle and Dark Side Of the Moon

but animals is quite dandy.

I also love the stuff they did for the soundtrack to More.

2. GoofyGooberz

GoofyGooberz Just Bitchy!!!!!!!!

Dark side of the moon my fave.

I remember I was 7 with the head set on cranking money it was my dad record as well

3. BuryMeInSmoke

BuryMeInSmoke Member

Dark Side of the Moon

4. psychedelicpiper

psychedelicpiper Member

My favourites are "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" (as you can tell by my username) and "A Saucerful of Secrets". I'm a HUGE fan of the Syd Barrett/psychedelic era.

I also LOVE "Meddle". I even have the original UK vinyl for that. (Still don't have a turntable to play it, though, except once at a friend's house.) "Echoes" is definitely one of the greatest songs ever. I love the acoustic-sounding tracks, too. Very summertime.

"Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" are really overplayed and commercialized these days. Mainly it's the fact they completely overshadow their earlier works that really bothers me, not getting equal treatment. But every once in a while, I'll want to hear them again and really dig into them. They still remain brilliant albums. Think I might check out the tracks from the new Immersion sets soon.

"The Wall" is also really overplayed, and it fits the bill of Roger Waters much better, not Pink Floyd. It doesn't really sound like them, and I'm not sure I'm really a fan. Although I definitely understand and feel for the message.

Roger was fighting with the others at that time for more control. "Comfortably Numb" is one of the couple songs where they worked together as a band on that album. That's why David Gilmour agreed to guest on it for Roger Waters' "The Wall" tour, but otherwise didn't want to be involved. Even though they had patched things up.

5. funktastic

funktastic Senior Member

my favorite floyd songs are spread through the 70s albums....

a few on 'darkside', a couple on 'animals', and a few more on 'wish you were here' and 'the wall'...

'darkside of the moon' has got time, money, breathe... its got good songs, but somes i dont like, so it isnt an album i like much to listen completely...

'wish you were here' , doesnt attract me much too...

now the two ones i could name my favorites would be either 'animals' or 'the wall'...

'animals' is a really nice one, and i enjoy all the songs (even if there are like, 4? 5?) on it; but 'the wall' also got some really good music like young lust, comfortably numb, run like hell... i say 'the wall' has more good songs than 'animals', but also has more not-so-good songs...

...but thats only because 'the wall' has like nearly 30 songs and 'animals' doesnt even have 10

6. mystic eye

mystic eye Banned

god. best floyd album thats hard. i have to say the the dark side of the moon. wish you wehere hear and the wall and animals are the best albums they did. if i had to have one i think the wall or wywh

7. opel diamond

opel diamond burn out

best floyd album.........animals or dark side? i can't decide. but everything up till the final cut is a bit epic. once roger left.....not so good i'm afraid.

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Dark Side of the Moon

or

Wish You Were Here

or

Ummagumma Disk 1

Depends on mood...... or mood alteration.

9. dazedgatsby

dazedgatsby shitheel

Saucerful of Secrets

Best Floyd Album.

More

Second Best Floyd Album

Take that DSOTM fanboys n ladies or to whomever it may concern

Fuckin luv those albums

10. psychedelicpiper

psychedelicpiper Member

haha I actually still haven't heard "More" yet, to be honest.

"A Saucerful of Secrets" is a superb album, though. It's certainly not a flawless masterpiece like "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" IMO, but it still has some amazing tracks that are on par with those on Piper. It's like its darker cousin. They go together quite well, especially since Syd is still on some songs.

11. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I know it's a recent one,but I really like "A Momentary Lapse of Reason."

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I thought More was pretty inconsistent even when I was obssessed with Floyd. It's an unfocused, in between stage album where they sort of lost that spacey, whimsical quality Syd brought to Floyd and they had not yet developed that flowing, ethereal quality of a lot of their 70's work.

The Nile song is one track I find interesting from More though, as its practically a heavy metal track. But The Nile Song is also on the compilation album "Relics" which is a better investment imo.

There is a couple other decent tracks on there but there is a lot of filler as well.

13. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

There's this fallacy that the Floyd was over when Syd left.So what?

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yeah that's their problem. It obviously wasn't over but they can't accept that. I can relate to the thought though but it's pointless nevertheless.

15. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

If the Floyd hadn't made it big time with "Wish You Were Here" not many people would know who Syd was.They were all inspired musicians and were a force of nature.Therefore The Floyd continued to make great albums,even "A Momentary Lapse of Reason", after Syd was disbanded.

16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

^ Piper at the Gates of Dawn was a pretty successful record in the U.K. Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd was also known as one of the pioneering bands to play music to light shows.

17. dazedgatsby

dazedgatsby shitheel

I disagree. Cirrus Minor, Crying Song, Up the Khyber, Cymbaline, Party Sequence...

Its a very different Floyd album, it has sort of an eerie feeling to it because of that. I don't really care for the Wall. I suppose I'm the odd Floydian, huh.

18. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

There are a couple good tracks like I said but stuff like 'A Spanish Piece' is absolutely terrible, 'quicksilver' is kind of pointless, I'm not too fond of 'Up the kyhber'. A lot of it sounds like it could be a b side to "A Saucerful of Secrets" and I guess if that's your favorite Floyd album than that's not necessarily bad but More is just completely devoid of any sense of cohesiveness as an album.

I don't think you're an odd Floydian necessarily.

19. dazedgatsby

dazedgatsby shitheel

I like 'A Spanish Piece' .... :D

One of things I like about "More" is the lack of cohesiveness. There albums could be labeled a Psych/Folk/Blues/Avant-Garde/Heavy Metal album.

Psych being Cirrus Minor
    Folk being Green is the Colour
    Blues being More Blues
    Avant-Garde being Quicksilver
    Heavy Metal being The Nile Song

The songs are so diversed in genre and its one of things I love about Jethro Tull. Jethro Tull's albums have such diversity. Take for example 'Benefit' match it with 'Minstrel in the Gallery' or 'Aqualung' to 'Broadsword and the Beast' ... They were all different but all solid albums, in my opinion, not many bands can pull that off. Pink Floyd is one of them that can pull it off, so are the Beatles. I'm a musician and I know that a good musician should listen to and be able play different, to artistically expand. I like Jazz/Blues, Rap, Rock, Metal, Disco, Folk, Classical, Avant Garde etc.. You know a band is talented if they can pull it off for years almost flawlessly and Floyd did. So did the Beatles, Weezer did not however...

So

20. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I am a musician as well and it's extremely impressive when a band pulls off playing many different genres successfully like say The Clash on "London Calling" but "More" sounds like just playing different genres for the sake of it, without any sense of album and it doesn't feel like half those tracks have their full effort put into them imo.