Best Deer Deterrent EVER

Discussion in 'Cannabis Outdoors' started by rangerdanger, Jun 27, 2006.

1. effer

effer Member

I've found that leaving a note with your name that says "Arrest Me" works best. ;]

2. zenloki

zenloki Member

raw eggs are a good deterrent for browsing. scramble them, thin them out with water or oil and spray it on your crop. of course it's got to be reapplied after a good rain but by then the job may be done.

thanks olddude. i had no idea deer could get high too.

3. Luketrials

Luketrials Member

My deterrent? I had a Bagger Burrow 3 feet away from 12 of my plants. I slept up there once, bad mistake - hearing a bagger outside your tent knowing how vicious they can be. Sketched me the fuck out =D

However, I gave them bits of chicken now and then - be respectful to your neighbours (y)

4. neuroptican

neuroptican ...hadouken!

5. Luketrials

Luketrials Member

Forgive me, I wrote this comment at a time of weakness - Smoked a couple of joints and from there on, my English rapidly goes down the tubes.

Enjoyed the clip, cant beat a spoof of The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre. :cheers2:

6. p51mustang23

p51mustang23 Member

:2thumbsup:

Another option: [​IMG]

Also leave your dog at home...

7. ScottDK420

ScottDK420 Banned

I have found that surrouding a small patch of plants with some wooden stakes about 6 feet high, and then wrapping a few strands of clear fishing line around at 2 feet and 4 feet and at the top of the wooden stakes at about 6 feet will also freak deer out. They will not be able to see the clear fishing line, especially at night, and when the go towards the plants , they bump their nose or leg into the fishing line and this makes them run off very fast, scared deer, and the same deer will not return to that spot again, or if they do ,they will again bump the nose of a body part into the fishing line, which is cheap tp buy and put up, even if the deer breaks the line while running away, it is very easy to put up more.. The idea of chicken wire is also a good one, although fishing line is clear and harder to see, and a 500 yard or more roll of it is super cheap and fits into the pocket, less obvious than chicken wire, becasue you don't even need a backpack or spray paint for fishing line, and wrapping it around at each of the spots several times makes it quite strong. I prefer to keep it circled around the woodend stakes at about 4 to 5 feet from the closet plant leaves. Also, go to a sporting goods store and buy some animal repelant, such as wolf or bear urine and apply that outside of the fenced weed spot..Although this might attract bears and wolves! The best thing is to collect your own urine in a large milk jug or something and pour it around the perimeter of the patch. Bears and Wolves are generally scared of a strong odor of human urine, also they sell variuos bear, deer,fox, rabbit, etc.. deterant scents in sporting goods stores..

8. ScottDK420

ScottDK420 Banned

Yeah I Chicago area outdoors growing you might as wel do that, We are talking about growing in forested areas not in the back yard of a suburban neighborhood, or in a back alley trash can!! lol..

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

irish spring soap. its cheap and it stinks.. smells like people...

10. indydude

indydude Senior Member

Deer ate everyone of my plants except the ones I put tomato cages and tree limb branches around. I pee'd around them. Didnt work. Put dog crap around them. Didnt work. Put hair clippings around them, didn't work. I'm going to try laying chicken wire around them next year.

11. vinnie kaz

vinnie kaz Banned

This is back around 1990 or so...the only flowering crop that the deer ever ate on me was Durban Poison obtained from the famous Seed Bank in the Netherlands. This Durban was the real thing, with a sweet, licorice-lemony smell, and taste, and a crazy, soaring sativa high. Nevilles Durban Poison finished September 5th in Champaign/Urbana Illinois!

The plants were 80% finished, and very chunky and smelly, when I started noticing that the main colas had little, 2 to 3 gram chunks taken out of portions of them, in random locations. I thought that one of the neighbors was stealing from me, but I did not see anybody on my property over the next few nights (full moon), but the bud damage kept occuring...a little chunk here and a little chunk there, removed from the main colas.

On the 5th or 6th night, I snuck out there at midnight, and I got the crap scared out of me when three deer jumped 5 feet, straight up into the air, as I approached my garden area at the very back of the property. The had been lounging around in my fifteen grow-bag garden, nibbling the buds, and apparently getting very high!

They sure didn't eat like they were hungry, and there was plenty of rain that season. My theory is that the deer loved the Durban because it is a pure Sativa, but who knows.

I harvested about a week later, but did not notice any more damage to the buds. Maybe I caught the deer out in the middle of a "too high" freak-out experience on their part. You know how weed hits you when you eat it vs. smoking it, so I figure that these deer were getting pretty stoned from the little bit that they ate. That Durban (the real thing) was very, very powerful sativa...almost like a haze high. I wish I still had that strain.

I get very good results sprinkling red pepper on the plants when they are transplanted. My transplant days always happen when it is overcast and raining...do not want to meet hikers in the wild when carrying in my plants. Since it is wet and rainy, the red pepper sticks to the leaves of the transplants very effectively. Even after the precipitation dries, the pepper stays adhered to the plant tissues. It also seems that the morning dew wets and readheres the pepper to the plant as it forms and dries each morning. I have come back two weeks later, and most of the red pepper is still stuck to the leaves where it was applied. It will have to be reapplied after a heavy rainfall, but the leaves will already be wet from the rain, making application easy.

Good Luck

Vinnie Kaz

12. oreon walker

oreon walker Member

keeping deer out your garden is easy and cheap, get some coyote piss at your local hunting store or even your dog piss, if u dont mind taking it yourself, (dirty but free). for slugs and snail, egg shells and red cedar bark around the base should take care of it, and if that dosent work you can put a half-full beer can away form the plantation. slugs love the smell of beer so much they will brown themself in the can, resulting in a nasty soup, but slug free plants.
    happy grow !!

13. MayQueen~420~

MayQueen~420~ ♫♪♫♪

I thought this said best detergent ever at first.

14. rasta g child

rasta g child flower power

cool apartmentz