Best Album Of 1967

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Charles E. Grapewin, Aug 30, 2005.

1. hippycarly

hippycarly Member

Where Is Beach Boys Pet Sounds?!?!?!?!

2. Charles E. Grapewin

Charles E. Grapewin ....................

3. hippycarly

hippycarly Member

thanks...aah yes, much better......Carl Wilson was the closet reflection of a god I have ever seen :)

4. hippypaul

hippypaul Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Torn again - had to go with the plane but the Doors was very very close.

5. Aerosolhalos

Aerosolhalos Member

The Velvet Underground- The Velvet Underground & Nico
    Pink Floyd- The Piper At the Gates of Dawn
    Love- Forever Changes

6. rosyposies

rosyposies Member

7. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

While it's nearly impossible to pick the best album(s) from (what I personally believe to be) the greatest year in music history, I'll make these choices:

BEST album of 1967: The Velvet Underground & Nico
    My FAVORITE album of 1967: The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

There are so many other great ones, though.

8. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

I used to agree..

but now I find Nico to be even less bare-able than even Janis. :eek: :(

9. NewAgeHippie2200

NewAgeHippie2200 Member

i voted for Sgt. Pepper's

10. MahatmaMantan

MahatmaMantan SHIFTY CUSTOMER

BEST ALBUM OF 1967?

[​IMG]

Christ!
    Cue Dylan from the "Basement Tapes" recorded June to December
    of 1967 & released intermittently in varying degrees of quality for 38 years:

Nothing is better... nothing is best

11. Charles E. Grapewin

I was hoping to slip this one by you, but no.

12. MahatmaMantan

Weird and extremely interesting phase in Dylan's career & it was over quickly.
    He wasn't totally detoxed from the amphetamine/heroin addiction at this time. He was still getting those stream-of-consciousness/edge of psychosis images in his head while jamming with The Hawks, grinding out weird mutations of the classic Harry Smith type Americana he'd been listening to again trying to regain his ability to write songs without relying on the [heavier] drugs.

[​IMG]

He covered his own tracks so well after this period that he wouldn't be able to approach that level again until the end of the 20th century.

Coolest guy on the face of the earth.

13. Charles E. Grapewin

American Masters "Bob Dylan: No Direction Home"

KCET
    September 21, 2005 9:00pm

[​IMG]

In an event that has brought together Bob Dylan and Martin Scorsese, AMERICAN MASTERS presents "Bob Dylan: No Direction Home," airing on PBS Monday-Tuesday, September 26-27, 2005, 9:00 p.m. ET. Check local listings. The two-part film, which focuses on the singer-songwriter's life and music from 1961-66, includes never-seen performance footage and interviews with artists and musicians whose lives intertwined with Dylan's during that time. Dylan talks openly and extensively about this critical period in his career, detailing the journey from his hometown of Hibbing, Minnesota, to Greenwich Village, New York, where he became the center of a musical and cultural upheaval, the effects of which are still felt today.

For the first time, the Bob Dylan Archives has made available rare treasures from its film, tape and stills collection, including footage from Murray Lerner's film Festival, documenting performances at the 1963, 1964 and 1965 Newport Folk Festivals; previously unreleased outtakes from D.A. Pennebaker's famed 1967 documentary Don't Look Back; and interviews with Allen Ginsberg, Pete Seeger, Joan Baez, Maria Muldaur and many others. In anticipation of the film, members of Dylan's worldwide community of fans also contributed rarities from their own collections.

"Bob Dylan: No Direction Home, A Martin Scorsese Picture" comes on the heels of Dylan's best-selling memoir, Chronicles: Volume I, which spent 19 weeks on the New York Times Hardcover Non-Fiction Bestseller list.

In addition to directing such dramatic films as Raging Bull, Goodfellas and The Aviator, Martin Scorsese is an avid chronicler of the history of American popular music. Most recently, he executive-produced the music miniseries THE BLUES, which aired on PBS, as well as the related concert film Lightning in a Bottle, directed by Antoine Fuqua. Scorsese also directed the documentary The Last Waltz (1978), which captured The Band's legendary farewell concert, and he served as an assistant director and editor on Woodstock (1970).

In discussing his excitement about the current project, Scorsese remarked, "I had been a great fan for many years when I had the privilege to film Bob Dylan for The Last Waltz. I've admired and enjoyed his many musical transformations. For me, there is no other musical artist who weaves his influences so densely to create something so personal and unique."

Along with Scorsese, "Bob Dylan: No Direction Home" is individually produced by Jeff Rosen of Grey Water Park, Nigel Sinclair of Spitfire, Anthony Wall of the BBC's "Arena" series and Susan Lacy of Thirteen/WNET New York's AMERICAN MASTERS series, which has won the Emmy for Outstanding Primetime Non-Fiction Series five of the last six years.

"When we first began discussing this project years ago, we were overwhelmed by the material at hand - home movies and history-making concert footage, fascinating interviews with Dylan's friends and fellow performers and, of course, Dylan himself, speaking so frankly about this incredible period in his life," said Lacy, series creator and executive producer of AMERICAN MASTERS. "What we needed - above all - was an artist with a singular vision who could fuse this material into a unique visual narrative. That artist was Martin Scorsese, who graciously agreed to direct."

Added Spitfire's Sinclair, "Bob Dylan is a true cultural worldwide icon. This is the first time Bob has given this unprecedented access, which, coupled with Marty's outstanding filmmaking talents, should provide an unparalleled portrait of Dylan's indelible mark on the culture of the 20th century."

Part one of "Bob Dylan: No Direction Home" will also premiere on September 26 in the UK, on the internationally prestigious series "Arena." on the BBC. This will be a historic collaboration between the world's two principal public broadcasters.

"This is history," said Wall, "Arena" series editor. "As Dylan's extraordinary career is building to another great peak, it's also a milestone for the BBC and PBS."

Paramount Home Entertainment will release a DVD version of the documentary with extensive additional, never-before-seen footage on September 20. Apple will present the DVD and international version of "Bob Dylan: No Direction Home."

The film's soundtrack will be a double CD set comprising key songs in the film as well as rare and unreleased recordings from 1961 to 1966. Volume 7 of Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series, No Direction Home: The Soundtrack, is slated for release August 30, on Columbia/Legacy Records.

The Bob Dylan Scrapbook 1956-1966 will be published by Simon & Schuster on October 1. The book features Dylan's early years, illustrated and packaged in a slipcased scrapbook complete with rare photographs, removable documents, reproductions of memorabilia, and a 45-minute CD. This unique book features interviews, archival photographs, and reproductions of song lyrics, plus other rare materials drawn from the film.

I'm chomping at the bit to see this film!

14. MahatmaMantan

Me too.
    Have you ever seen EAT THE DOCUMENT?
    Frustrating experience.
    Just when you're getting into an impromptu song performance or John Lennon busting Dylan's balls about "your good friend the folk-rock singer Barry McGuire" right before Dylan gets junk-sick, there's an intrusive and stuttering edit.
    Dylan performs 2 beautiful songs with Robbie in the ETD out-takes that have been in circulation for the past 12 years or so.
    I hope these will be included -UNEDITED- in this film and on the soundtrack.
    First song is "I Can't Leave Her Behind I & II" and the second song is called "Does She Need Me (On A Rainy Afternoon)".
    Ethereal stuff that's a cross between the sounds of "Mr Tamborine Man"/"Farewell Angelina" and "Queen Jane Approximately"/ "Sooner Or Later One Of Us Must Know".
    Both songs were recorded in a Glasgow hotel room in May of 1966 near the end of the tour that almost led to Dylan's death.
    These have appeared uncut on a great & very expensive bootleg box set called GENUINE LIVE 1966 but the complete video footage of the performances has never been released to my knowledge.
    What there is of it is mesmerizing -Bob Dylan showing Robbie Robertson how to play guitar! Or at least, the guitar part he wants for these 2 particular songs.

15. Skelter

Skelter Helter

16. Skelter

Skelter Helter

17. M2D

M2D Member

either sgt peppers or buffalo springfield