Berlin

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Deidre, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

It looks exciting, beautiful and cultural there, I was wondering if you could share your views of it, if you reside or have traveled there?

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Heh. Berlin is the wűrst. I've been to many countries and many cities and Berlin especially in our beautiful nation of Deutschland is what's wrong with our beautiful nation.

I know cities have their problems but one main thing I notice about German cities is that they're actually quite clean. Bad graffiti as always but there's respect on the streets there's not often garbage laying around, street pollution is minimal but you travel to Berlin and you'll instantly see something else, akin to bigger cities around the world. First is the smell. It's not crisp, it's no clean. There's smog. It is overrun with gypsies trying to get money for nothing, it is filled with tourist and tourism guides constantly. I've never found the place nice, I don't feel comfortable there to me it truly is a disgusting city. Not like Munich, not like Stuttgart or Dresden or anything. It is its own trash. It's embarrassing actually what with all homosexuality deviants who harass everyone on the trams trying to get their dicks sucked, or the neon Nazi skinheads that roam the streets with their Mongrel dogs trying to intimidate everyone.

3. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Looks like I might have to rethink Berlin. lol But, there is something to be said about experiencing a city for what it is, even if it's harsh, although that sounds like a harsh place, in parts. Neo Nazi skinheads roaming the streets with their mongrel dogs? I don't know how I'd handle that, really. I watched a show on Ireland, and there were a lot of street gangs in this one part, can't remember the name now, and it struck me as interesting, because there are gangs throughout the US in certain cities, some worse than others, and I've wondered if other countries have similar issues. I've also been interested in Budapest.

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Budapest is my dream city. It looks like a dream. Theres a Groupon right now for flight/hotel to Prague and Budapest for like 8 days for under $1000 a person. I so wish I could get it right now

Deidre likes this.
  5. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Damn, that's a good deal! If I could leave tonight I would. Some stress in my life right now, Budapest would be a super nice escape.

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Oh you might find Berlin colourful and all wondrous like a lot of other people, it's just not for me. Others seem to like it's appeal or see some appeal, just every time I'm there I ask myself why? And then I head south and I think, ah good I'm out of that place. But if you like cities then you'll probably like it. I'm notoriously a city hater. :p I just find there's cities and then there's cities. Or, there's cities and then there's rubbish dumps.

See the culture from München (my closest capital and favorite city) is like, for example, if you can't afford public transport then there's 200,000 bicycles to use. You jump on one, ride it to your destination, drop it off with the rest of the bikes. That's how we get around. In Berlin, if there's a bike on the side walk it's gone get stolen quick, or, someone has slashed the tires and jumped on the frame. :tearsofjoy:

Munich to me is closest resemble to Denver, I felt so at home in Denver it was just a funny English speaking München. :D and whereas Berlin felt like, Atlanta I guess. Not that I thought Atlanta was bad just it was the biggest city I was in lol. Atlanta is 10x better than Berlin.

The only way I could really illustrate is, visit a few other German cities first. Stuttgart, Frankfurt, Köln, Hamburg, Dresden, Magdeburg, München and you'll find rich culture, clean towns, you can sit on a train without sitting in urine etc. People are lovely and friendly, people wanna know about you.

Then drive to Berlin and as you hit the motorways leading in you'll see graffiti everywhere. That's your first sign. And it's not pretty art either. It's pointless tagging. And then you get deeper in, and the smell, the smog, the typical fast paced city folks who aren't interested in you. Rudeness. Gang bangers, people walking up to you selling drugs. You make Berlin your last German city and you'll see exactly, EXACTLY where I'm coming from.

To me it's a very cultureless city. If you wanna know Germany I wouldn't go there at all. The only culture you'll find is Deutsch language and the Ampelmännchen. (cute top hat stop/go sign for pedestrians) oh, and checkpoint Charlie which is overrun by Muslims wearing a costume pestering tourists for a €10 photo with them.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Deidre likes this.
  7. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I appreciate any insight you have because I know NOTHING about Germany, really except what I've read or if I watch a few vloggers on youtube, which is really only showing the best spots, and never the dark places. That's so funny you compare it to Atlanta, I hate Atlanta, so if that's 10x better then maybe I'll pass on Berlin :D

I want to take your advice, so the trip stands the best chance of being spectacular. So Danke! :blush:

Irminsul likes this.
  8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'd feel bad if my negativity though effects something that might be fun. You could always go! And we could laugh about it together after lol.

Deidre likes this.
  9. Bonitawife

Bonitawife Members

I used to live there for 5 years in the nineties and it was a very nice and interesting place, lots of culture and history and very safe for a big city. However, in the last 10 years things have gone downhill fast. I just visited a few months ago and I would never live there again. It is not safe anymore, dirt, smog, lots of shady characters, no-go zones. Almost like a hipper version of Detroit. Sorry, I used to love this city but would avoid it now. Really sad what they have done to this city.

Irminsul likes this.