Ben Affleck to play next Batman

Discussion in 'Movies' started by McFuddy, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Shale

Shale ~

Social Media is such a silly place. The most postings I have seen in the last couple of days from many of my friends on facebook has been about the news that Ben Affleck is being cast as the next Batman in the 2015 sequel to Man of Steel.

Oh well, I am a comic book movie geek as well, so let me get into the fray.

I like Ben Affleck. I like Dare Devil - just watched it last nite and it is based on a Marvel comic book character (you can tell if Stan Lee does a cameo). So Ben is jumping into a DC comic book character playing Batman.

Bottom line: It is just a COMIC BOOK CHARACTER!

Let The Joker (Heath Ledger) put it into perspective:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Cause ruining daredevil wasn't enough.

3. odonII

odonII O

Do you think every Daredevil comic was/is a work of genius, and had/has everything 'right'?
    Films have one chance to get things right, and they can't please everybody.
    The film didn't ruin Daredevil.
    Just as Dogma didn't ruin the Catholic faith.

4. Duck

I meant that he ruined the character in the film. You can be a little over-literal.

A film takes a long time to make, the licensing is not widely shared - so we only get so many chances to see these characters on screen - and it really sucks when the production is not handled with the right amount of care and skill.

5. odonII

odonII O

'Cause ruining daredevil wasn't enough.'

Did I have much to work with?

'It really sucks when the production is not handled with the right amount of care and skill.'

Well, in the most recent Batman films was that a good representation of 'Batman' or was it just three good films with Batman in them?

Perhaps if Daredevil was a better film in general, regardless, then it (authenticity etc) wouldn't have been such an issue.

Most of these films miss vast tracks of the history out of it.

I suppose it's about taking the part you do and doing that part well.

Because these characters are messed around with in the comics 'officially' how can you possibly do them justice or 'get it right'?

6. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

meaningless controversy likely whipped up by pr trolls to help promote the film. seems to have worked, too.

7. Duck

It was a really good representation of Batman. Comics since the 70s O'neill issues have described Wayne's Batman voice as gravelly. He was muscular but not to the point of slowing him down. He was single-minded in his mission, with the exception of women. And in the third film, he showed near super-human capability of recovery.
    Colin Farrell and Michael Clarke Duncan were still awesome. Though I must admit; the costuming was playing heavily against Affleck.
    Part of the Doctor Who mythos is that he changes with every regeneration. Still, wouldn't it had been horrible if they had cast Sylvester Stallone?

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I'd go with the latter.

Although 2 good films, thought the 3rd one kind of blew.

Compared to what you get in the comics they werent very Batman-y. Darker than the silliness that was Batman Forever especially. But still not close enough

In the comics he's also more like Maguiver, using his brain to get out of situations, and drawn a lot beefy than all the guys that have played him.

No ones made a real Batman movie yet

9. His Eden

His Eden Queen of Mean

It could be worse...they could have tried to bring back George Clooney as Batman.

10. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Member

Whilst I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for the film, I must admit, I am a bit hesitant.

Affleck certainly wouldn't have been my first choice to play Batman, but again, as said above, I will give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he performs in the role. Big, big shoes to fill.

11. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

Batman is waaaaay more of a babe than Superman!!!