Ben Affleck to play next Batman

Discussion in 'Movies' started by McFuddy, Aug 23, 2013.

1. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

http://www.nbcnews.com/entertainmen...fleck-play-batman-man-steel-sequel-6C10984418

Well, there it is. Man of Steel 2 will basically be a Superman versus Batman flick, which is a pretty terrible premise for a movie anyway, and to top it off, they got friggin' Ben Affleck to play the Batman.

So what's it gonna be? Bruce Wayne hops into a big machine via Dark Knight Returns and go fisticuffs with the Man of Tomorrow? That's the only conceivable way he could have a chance in a fight, and something tells me that is not what they're going to do.

This is supposed to be a sequel to Man of Steel, but it just comes off as pandering to people who suddenly became huge Batman fans after they watched The Dark Knight, don't know dick about the mythos, and insist it possible that Batman could actually win such a fight. Epic Fail.

Oh and plus, Affleck is a terrible casting choice. Terrible. Daredevil anyone?

2. kokujin

kokujin Senior Member

it's not like batman acts. I really don't know why people are super upset about this.

3. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

Batman is boring anyway. He is the most boring superhero because he has no special powers.

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I'm not a huge batman fan so this doesn't really upset me, but Ben Affleck is a pretty lame choice and superman vs batman is a pretty stupid premise.

5. odonII

odonII O

McFuddy

As far as I am aware it won't be Superman V Batman.
    They will form an alliance. I could be wrong.
    Perhaps after an initial confrontation they will team up (why would two 'good guys' fight each other?)
    I have not heard it is a sequel - as much as the two further Batman films were not really sequels.

As for Ben, I was a bit shocked, but I guess they see him as a bankable star again, and he has made some decent films recently.
    Atleast it isn't somebody like Ryan Gosling o_O
    Daredevil wasn't brilliant, but I think only Colin embarrassed himself on that one (and the director/writer).
    Zack Snyder has a better track record with these types of movies than Mark Steven Johnson
    Plus, it was over a decade ago - we can't keep hitting him over the head with that one.

I think there has been enough super-hero films out since for directors/producers etc to know what works and what doesn't.
    I wish them well with it.

6. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

There are many reports billing the movie as exactly that (Superman v Batman). I agree that by the end they will have teamed up against a common enemy.

Traditionally Batman and Superman have had a bit of friction, particularly upon their first meeting. Batman has serious trust issues, and I'm guessing when he sees an alien flying around with ridiculous powers, his initial instinct will be finding a way to neutralize him. He may also question Supermans 'right' to be taking matters into his own hands on a planet that is not technically his own. Batman's first thought is apt to be, "Sure he claims he's on our side, for now. And what happens if the day comes when he decides he's not?"

Superman doesn't agree with Batman's methods. He believes heroes should be a beacon for humanity, as opposed to scaring the shit out of criminals in dark alleys, breaking their bones to illicit confessions, and using threat and intimidation to enforce justice.

I don't know what you mean. The three Batman films are interrelated and one leads into the next. It's also being talked about as Man of Steel 2; mostly since they haven't come up with a name yet. But it's still a sequel.

Hm, I wish them well too. But I don't share your confidence.

7. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

Ben Afleck hasn't been less than obese for 20 years!

8. odonII

odonII O

McFuddy

IMDb has it as 'Superman v Batman' so it must be true.
    Seems odd to me.
    I can see if it is a first meeting then what you say might play out.

But if it is a sequel (and not just Superman 2) then they have an awful lot of story to pack in.
    Although, it could be done.
    It does seem rather odd to have to have two expositions, a continuation, a confrontation, a resolution and a finalisation (they both are not going to come back together again are they?).
    It could be a complete mess.

Kind of leads in...
    Yes, they were interrelated. Nice word.
    But I do not see them as sequels (continuations of the SAME story, imho.)
    They (The Batman films) seem as much like sequels as the Mission Impossible films.
    In other-words, not really sequels at all - but they have a few of the same characters, and a couple of tenuous links to the previous films.

If it's being talked about as ' Man of Steel 2' then what about 'Superman V Batman'?

Thinking about it - I'm not too confident about it either now (just the sheer complexity of the multiple story arcs)

9. Happy Art Girl

Happy Art Girl Member

Why not Christian Bale to play Batman in the new Superman/Man Of Steel movie? It's been his role in the last 3 Batman films. Surely it's his role to reprise? I quite like Ben Affleck, but I am surprised they picked him for this, I can't quite imagine him in the Batsuit!

10. odonII

odonII O

I think they picked another (Ben) because Christian said no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cok2PtuXjTk"]Christian Bale Says "No More Batman"? (0308) - YouTube

11. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I thought that's probably what you meant, it just never occurred to me to not label them as 'sequels' due to the nature of being able to watch any of the films independently of the others and still follow the plot perfectly well.

My understanding of it is it's Man of Steel 2 with Batman as the nemesis. They're essentially trying to introduce a 'new' Batman to the audience, perhaps in preparation for a Justice League film. (I think)
    I guess they figure the most interesting way to introduce the new Batman (although I think in this movie Batman will have been around for awhile before Kal-El took on the mantle of Superman) is to have the two characters initially at odds. Also I think it's probably a bit too soon since the ending the of Nolan trilogy to totally remake Batman with a movie just all his own; they have to introduce him somehow.

And they may be pandering to Batman lovers a bit, since as I said before, I think the premise is pretty silly. Doesn't mean it can't be done - certainly Bruce Wayne has the resources and intelligence to set up some pretty complicated scenarios and traps for the Man of Steel. To be honest and a little more clear, I hope their intention is not to make Superman out to be a big douchebag while catering to Batman lovers. (I am a Batman lover, truth be told, but I want both these characters to be treated with the respect they deserve) The latest B-man trilogy was a huge success, and I can see this being a big temptation for them.

@Happy Art Girl: Yeah Bale said he'd only ever be Batman again is if Nolan was writing/heading the project. But they both basically decided that wasn't going to happen.

12. Happy Art Girl

Happy Art Girl Member

I didn't know that, Thank you! :)

13. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

14. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

lol @ Death. You just took a steaming dump all over my anti - Affleck parade. Can't argue with the sentiment though. A lot of people said the same about Heath Ledger as the Joker and we all know how that turned out.

EDIT: Truth be told I'll count myself as the happiest and most wrong of men if Affleck does well in the role.

15. odonII

odonII O

McFuddy

I don't wish to be pedantic, but I thought 'sequels' were meant to follow on and 1, 2 3's were meant to work independently of the others so you can still follow the plot perfectly well. I think we might be confusing ourselves!
    I think a 'proper' sequel would be something like 'Harry Potter' or 'Twilight'.
    Maybe even those are not really sequels!

I agree with the rest of your post pretty much.

16. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

eh I've seen worse. Superman fought Mohammed Ali once. They transported both of them to planet under a red sun (superman loses his powers under a red sun) and they fought in full on boxing match with the whole galaxy watching. Superman got worked.

17. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

Smh all I gotta say is boooo

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Why the hell do they put Affleck in anything

I wanna see Jesse from Breaking Bad as.Batman, yeah science biatch, half kidding, but he would make a great villian

19. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

To quote someone from another forum:

Batman is just James Bond in spandex..

Booooring.

20. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Might be more accurate to say James bond is batman without the spandex since the batman character is about twenty years older. I get your point though, very droll.