being "mentally insane" a blessing

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by peaceful chaos, Jan 19, 2005.

1. peaceful chaos

peaceful chaos Member

ok what i mean by this is sometimes im left wondering why humans put up with so much mental pain and anxiety to the point where i get feeling that it would be a relief to be mentaly insane meaning your detached from your surroundings and dont care about whats happening around you whatsoever and also dont really have a set reality

please post your thoughts on this topic:)

2. gate68

gate68 Senior Member

We're not?Anxiety is insanity.I think sometimes to be less intelligent could be the answer.Maybe a second grade mentality.For now I've just become comfortably numb...just another brick in the wall.

3. juggla

juggla Member

perception=reality

4. Craevyn

Craevyn Member

our individual mental illness is the only thing that makes us different, and i agree with juggla

perception does equal reality

5. carnelian

carnelian Member

i'm "mentally insane" and that's NOT a blessing. mentally ill people often live in an alternative reality much more scary than the real world. it's not a blessing believing people can read your mind. it's not fun talking to yourself, seeing things others don't see, hearing voices. (all those are symptoms i know mentally ill people often experience). perhaps it would be fun if we just saw bright rainbows and angels sang to us all the time but that's not the reality.

6. kidswillbeskeletons

kidswillbeskeletons Member

i agree with carnelian, my brother has schizophrenia and i experience secondarily the pain of having a severe mental illness every day.

the worst part is that he never use to be this way. he use to be almost normal. you see, he had meningitis when he was 3 and that led to brain damage. After the doctors told my mother that he would forever have learning disabilities, he managed to graduate high school.. the schizophrenic tendencies started about two years ago, like i mentioned, and it has progressively got to the point where he stays up all night screaming at the top of his lungs at people who are not there.

i'm sure my brother will be the first to tell you that it is no walk in the park to live like that. i'm sure he will talk your ear off for hours about how badly he wants to be able to have a job, have a car, and an apartment... i hear this from him a lot. it saddens me to think that that could be me. to never have the opportunities that I have. to never be able to have a mind free from the paranoia he experiences day-to-day. to never be able to have a job and feel a sence of acomplishment by being accepted into a college.... those are things he wishes for....

perhaps life is hard being "normal", but it is certainly hard having a mental illness.

"the grass is always greener on the other side".

7. Carlos

Carlos Member

i belive a mental illness is the suicide of the mind.

if reality is perseption , and you percive with your mind, then the only way to alter your reality is through altering your mind
    [ i have offen wanted to lock myself in a dark room for as long as it take to send me nuts]

ignorance is bliss, but that is diffrent to being mentaly ill, and knowing it.

somethings its just best to bash your head against a wall!
    lets all have a big bash!

[insanity is purly a leigal term:p not allot o ppl know that]

8. Random Andy

Random Andy Member

That's interesting. Have you ever experienced anything that would give you this idea? It's certainly a change in perception and I agree with previous posters that perception = reality. I think it's just a change in the amount and kind of reality that you are able to percieve, it's like, stuff you have always known is there but only just noticed. Maybe the suffering of the mentally ill is evidence of how fucked up the world is now but I think it(mental illness, particularly psychosis which is all I know)'s a kind of enlightenment, an opening of doors, a dropping of barriers. As long as you can come to terms with it (and saying some of it is just in your mind is a way of dealing with it for a while) it's a gift. In order to come to terms with it though I had to know that perception is reality while at the same time telling the psychiatrists that I was 'ill'. I've never thought of my experiences as an illness but sometimes I allow myself to double think a bit for their sake because they learnt what they know about it from a university and from a lecturer so they can't be wrong, and any challenge to their views of mental illness is seen as not having 'insight' into your illness. Insight means knowing you are ill, so if you say you're not ill, that means you're especially ill because you don't have 'insight' which makes me sick if not ill.

If you bang ahead against a wall for long enough, eventually it will break. But is it your head or the wall?