Being a hobo

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by bird_migration, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

I bet my great grandpa had better stories than my ex. But my ex has seen some interesting stuff. He's been all over the country by freight train. Haven't talked to him much, he and Daniel don't get along, so it makes it kinda hard to catch up and hear any decent stories. And he's incredibly self-absorbed and obnoxious, so it makes it hard to want to hang out with him long enough to hear any stories, lol.

2. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Yeah I meant your grandpa actually, those kind of stories are much more interesting because they are impossible to reproduce.

3. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

Those old threads are like graveyards. Numerous people who were popular and stopped posting permanently and numerous others who got booted off the forum. Like the empty rusted hull of a sunken ship.

4. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

What are you on about?

5. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

Yeah. He died when I was 2 or 3, so I never got to hear any stories other than my mom telling me how they'd go years without seeing him and then suddenly he'd show up in the middle of the night, drunk, calling for my grandma (his daughter). I don't know that I ever really met him, my parents talk all the time about my great grandma on my dad's side and her meeting me, but the only thing I've ever heard regarding my great grandpa on mom's side is that he was a hobo throughout my grandma and mother's childhoods and I was pissed off it was too cold to go swimming when we went to his funeral. lol

6. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

When I was a young lad, early '50s, we lived by the great Lincoln Hy-way. My mother tells stories of the hobos coming to the door to ask for food. Apparently there was a hobo mark on the highway that pointed to our house as a good place to stop. She was never afraid of them as they were always polite and she would fix them a sandwich or something.

[​IMG]

But, I was to young to remember.
    Also the local town had a hobo village by the main line train tracks.

7. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

Jack London knew fuck all about Wolves but knew his readers knew even less. I'm a fan tho'.

8. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI6zsx42D20"]Captain Beefheart - Hobo Chang Ba - YouTube

9. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

I doubt the hobo book is nearly as romantic as the movie "Hobo with a shotgun"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssHEAOrAdCU"]Hobo With A Shotgun (2011) - Unrated Trailer [HD] - YouTube

10. Sitka

Sitka viajera

Jack London took artistic license to a whole new level. But I dig the short story Batard.