Beggars and panhandlers

Discussion in 'People' started by 6-eyed shaman, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Visexual

Visexual Member

You mentioned that if they have an obvious handicap, such as a missing limb? I know of one guy who lost an arm in the military who does take advantage of it by panhandling. And they guy get's his VA disability and benefits better than a lot of young working folks.

I never give to people who ask. But I look for people who aren't asking for help but, obviously, could use some.

Orison and WritersPanic like this.
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Probably why you don't see him pan handling.

[​IMG]

WritersPanic likes this.
  3. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

If I knew how to do pics I'd post Homer with his "Doh!"

Unless you meant literal pan handing to which I say bravo!

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Working the streets (not as a panhandler :p). I'll watch your back, we split the money. Win-win situation :sunglasses:

WritersPanic likes this.
  5. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Some Youtubers are posting videos of themselves giving $50 and $100 bills to panhandlers, and filming the grateful reactions.

This pisses me off. Not because they're giving money, because I don't really care how people spend their own money. But because they are exploiting these panhandlers for views, likes, retweets, and shares, and subscribers on their social media. These people are simply buying more views and subscribers by exploiting someone.

I won't link the videos on here. But you can find them yourself.

onceburned and unfocusedanakin like this.
  6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think it used to be part of punker sub-culture to panhandle. It was called "spanging" I think; which may be a hybrid of spare-change and sponge. :hushed:

7. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Yeah that's true. I suppose it's best not to give such people money. But maybe I'll give them some food if they're hungry.

onceburned and Visexual like this.
  8. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I ordered a guy some food at starbucks once. I don't think he was even that hungry. Lol. I have sort of lost my appetite for helping out in that way. There are plenty of organizations that accept donations, so I feel my money is better spent by helping them that way.

9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I gave a homeless woman a Burger yesterday, it was actually on an order mixup, so I didn't even pay for it lol. Pretty much every time I've given a homeless person food, they've displayed a level of gratitude that I would only on occasion get when I used to give them money.

Orison likes this.
  10. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

when i was in spain once, i was at a cafe sitting outside, and this girl was going around asking people something in spanish, she seemed quite distressed
    and people were just ignoring her or shaking their heads. eventually she just stood there, saying something out loud, not to anyone in particular, and basically crying
    so i asked her what was wrong, in english, said i didn't speak spanish
    and she explained she was homeless, on her period, and using socks as a sanitary towel, and just wanted to buy proper pads.
    i said i wouldn't give her money but i'd come to a shop and buy them for her, and she was instantly so grateful that i felt bad for thinking she might be lying just to get money.
    we went in a shop, bought sanitary towels. i returned to cafe.

but it always kind of amazed me, looking back, at the people's reactions. i don't care what your opinion on homelessness is..
    that was just a really simple case of an individual needing help. i am amazed people were so cold.

Meliai and Tyrsonswood like this.
  11. I'm amazed that everyone else on the planet is so tight with their money. Just give the shit away. Who cares where it goes? I just don't get what's with all this caring and concern.

12. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

The homeless really do care for each other and it's different for kids. Seriously I've seen this video in real life. They share a lot of things with other holmess even when they have nothing and kids are thought to not really know how to survive yet so they get extra care.

The public never feels bad for kids. They can't work, an adult can.

13. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

yeah. it was just a sense of not wanting to feel taken advantage of, i guess.
    no-one likes being lied to. maybe it shouldn't matter.

14. onceburned

onceburned Banned

I was approached by a guy in slacks, nice shoes, and a new leather jacket, he says " hey buddy you got a $5 bill for me? " I said hell no get the hell away from me jerk off :)

15. I probably would have told that guy to fuck off, too.

onceburned likes this.
  16. onceburned

onceburned Banned

most of these panhandlers are out begging for money cause they're too lazy to work. and they know someone will feel sorry for them and give them a few bucks. I believe the majority get up in the morning and dig thru the "rag bag" for old clothes to wear out in public and get a Crayola and a piece of cardboard to make their sign. " homeless need money ", " broke down need gas money ".
    when they scam all they can from an area, they go to the local liquor store for a bottle and some smokes. and drive to their house, kick back and watch TV.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Look at that guy over there he's so skinny
    He'd prolly suck my dick for a penny
    That's fuckin' nasty what kinda bitch does he get
    The kind that smells like shit with a scabbed lip
    Pushin' all that trash in his shopping cart
    Musta smoked himself into a retard
    No shoes thick-ass calloused-up toes
    Frozen boogers all up under his whisky nose
    The motherfuckers ass is prolly molded shut
    Bet he's got tadpoles livin' on his butt
    I fuckin' don't understand these people
    No kinda class
    Somebody needs to beat they ass
    I want to tell him GET THE FUCK OFF MY BLOCK!
    I want to beat his face in with a rock!
    He ain't good for shit, but bringin' our property down
    Draggin' his funky ass around
    He's starvin', sportin' a pair of troop sweats
    Hands dried and cracked up like the Sahara
    Wantin' everyone's affection
    Wait a minute..
    That's me..
    I'm lookin' at my own reflection :nomouth:

18. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

So where is the vet in my video in all this?

Is the video fake or was the man telling the truth?

19. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

A couple of weeks ago two shabby looking dudes were standing in front of the convenience store that I stopped at after I got off of work. They made eye contact as soon as I got out of the car and asked me as I walked by if I would buy them both a couple of tall boys. I ignored them. They asked again as I walked back to my car. If they had asked for information about AA I would have been more than happy to have helped them out.

20. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Regarding the Veteran with the missing arm he’s probably getting around $2000 dollars a month, tax free income.

But if he’s married and has kid(s), or is single but has kid(s) he’s getting more, along with free healthcare.

With $2000 a month you’d still need to augment your income by doing something and panhandling is the simplest option.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019