Beggars and panhandlers

Discussion in 'People' started by 6-eyed shaman, Aug 3, 2019.

1. I freakin LOVE the 21st century.

2. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

You proved my assumption. You say you needed to know the person and you judge those you don't know. My charity comes at no cost yours is only for certain people you deem worthy. Not sure why that upsets you since you have said it twice. You judge all people to be like him. I don't like heroin but you have too much anger.

You ignored what I said about the realities of employment. One can not always easily clean toilets. It's not always an issue of laziness. I guess that is where we disagree. I know work is hard, and you take that out on others angry that you do it and they don't.

3. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

This is where we differ. I value work ethic and contribute to those who devote their time and energy to do work. Whereas you perceive those who do work as equal to those who stand around and occupy space. I see giving money to those who are able but not willing, as a way of encouraging bad habits and fostering an entitlement complex.

onceburned likes this.
  4. You all take yourselves way too seriously. It's just stupid money. Give it away. Let the chips fall where they may.

5. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

I've found myself having to panhandle a few times in my life now and if I'm being honest it'll likely happen again soon enough. My life choices have left me essentially homeless and I've come to accept that this is who I am and who I am can be happy

6. What life choices are those, if you don't mind my asking?

7. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Tunin' out of HS and society at 18, tunin' back in at 20 after a stint in jail and decidin' to get married, puttin' myself into debt at 25 to save my marriage by goin' to college,, just to name the big ones. I've never been good at fittin' into the societal mold and this has often cost me.

8. Yeah me either. But luckily I wasn't ever successful with the ladies.

Running Horse likes this.
  9. unfocusedanakin

Again you are missing the whole point.

1. I never said I did not want them to work
    2. I did say that I accept it's impossible for some to work at the current time so I am fine with helping them. Does this mean they can live with me for 6 months and shoot up? No
    3. You are not their mother. So I find the concept of you policing what is right and wrong egotistical. What have you done that makes you the champion of an economy? You are not Amazon or Microsoft. You also could work harder and don't. You post on here as I do.

I think this is the heart of your views and mine right here. You simply can not wrap your head around this concept. If someone is not working they are lazy. You have made it clear in a few posts. You do not accept the economics of realty. Which ties into libertarianism. It's not a practical or real economy. Are you even aware of how unemployment fits into an economy or will you honestly say that is can be 0% if only people work?

I would tie my economic view to several European nations where they give heroin users free needles. Somehow they have less unemployment among addicts and street crime than the USA. You might want to examine why that is. Perhaps it's that when you make someone a human they are more motivated to do better. When you tell them they are trash they will use and maybe commit crime.

You catch more bees with honey than water as the expression goes. But that does not mean you let bees sting you everywhere.

10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Boston doesn't have a big population of homeless beggars and Panhandlers but the ones they do have are currently out of control since many are also drug users.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  11. unfocusedanakin

A lot of street crime is drug related. We can't excuse other crime since it was done for drugs. But if someone does not need to steal a TV since they have a needle and H waiting for them they will not steal the TV. They have a place to stay and help in employment and long term the support to get off drugs.

It's a level of care some refuse to provide but it's the logical approach if you want results. The jails are full and only getting fuller with the opiate crisis.

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

It's fascinating to me just how little involvement I've had with the opioid scene. Like I've compared it to my own issues with Ketamine in many respects but I just cannot envision where junkies get the motivation to steal shit and what not.

Cosmoknot, from this site, probably talked to me about opioids more so than anyone else in my entire life and I only hung out with the guy twice.

...And now that I think about it some K addict fucked me over a couple times and almost got me caught up in her bullshit as she was holing in a public sphere, but it's hard for me to imagine that type of stuff happening while dope sick too.

13. onceburned

onceburned Banned

just give them needles and heroin, opiates all they want, let them OD and you'll be done with them. It's a choice they made

14. unfocusedanakin

Many people who use heroin stared with Oxy a doctor gave them. They made the choice to trust a doctor.

What a cruel and evil thing to say.

15. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Ok, but all you're doing is trying to guilt-trip me by saying that those who don't work, are just as entitled and deserving of my charitable donation, as those who do work.

Well it's your money. If it makes you feel good, it's your right to give it to fake panhandlers or a junkie who's gonna use it to further their self-destructive lifestyle. So you can give yourself a pat on the back.
    As mentioned above. If I don't want to spend my money on a standstill panhandler, it is my right not to. I'm not going to police you if you want to give money to such people. I just think you're contributing to the problem by encouraging that behavior. While not all panhandlers are ill mannered, people don't like being harassed by transients screaming at them for money. The more money you give to them, the more your're rewarding bad behavior. Playing a bongo drum at a street corner doesn't help society much in the grand scheme of things, but I see that drummer as a sole proprietor, not a bum.

You can vote for the bad behavior with your dollars, and I'll vote for the better behavior with mine.

I don't think it's possible to get unemployment at 0% and sustain it that way for a long period of time. But humans are survivors by instinct. And those who are able enough can find a way to survive when life gets tough. Those who aren't able bodied and destitute, that's a different story though.

16. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The numbers are in the millions and you’re talking genocide?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  17. unfocusedanakin

I did not say that.

If you wish to think I need some self esteem from helping people and that's bad that is up to you. As a Buddhist I do things since they are right. I expect no reward and if I seek that it's not the right reason to do it. It does make me happy to help though.

I hope one day this hate leaves your heart. I don't really think I can help you. You keep going back to the same old thing.

18. onceburned

onceburned Banned

don't care what you call it, they don't care about themselves why should I?

all of us really don't need a dead weight to pull around

19. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I can?

GLENGLEN, Running Horse and Irminsul like this.
  20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah but if he rolls a 9 he's going through my hotel zones on Piccadilly :p and the fat man gonna be chasing him for my moneys.

WritersPanic likes this.