Bees dying throughout the planet

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by eshu, Apr 3, 2007.

1. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

As a former bee keeper and current farmer, I think I can safely say that no one thing has created this delemma, aside from mans constant attempt to manipulate nature to serve his own ends. That's why the scientists can't even completely agree on what the trouble is. I did find, however, some very interesting info about NATURAL beekeeping. It seems that a few folks have found that by giving their bees the opportunity to make NATURAL sized brood cells as opposed to super sized, which is mostly what commercial bee keepers use, PLUS doing as little MOWING as possible to provide a wider abundance of different type pollens as opposed to a lot of commercially kept bees that pollinate mostly one type of plant (clover or orange blossom honey anyone?) that they have had virtually NO more bee loss than usual.

2. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Right on Earthmother. I understand part of this hysteria is caused over the almond orchards in California. I find that to be a joke up here where I live since starting in the seventies most of the almonds were removed by the ranchers and replaced with prunes because labor costs for prunes were less and they bloom later than almonds and don't require the services of beekeepers. So a lot of our local beekeepers just went out of business and abandoned their hives usually in the last orchard they took them to. Now everyone is replanting almonds, or planting new orchards in different parts of the state, and they are worried because they can't find beekeepers to service their orchards. My solution, the ranchers and syndicates should maintain their own hives. Oh and all the ranchers mow down to bare ground, none of them leave hedgerows or secondary material for the bees to feed on.

3. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I just read a story that may offer the BEST explanation about the loss of bees...

It seems beekeepers have been plying their hives with chemicals, antibiotics and pesticides for years.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/crops/honey/bha01s00.html

This has made some bee diseases MORE RESISTANT to everything, and now bees have a weakened immune system to disease after relying on antibiotics.

This would not have been such a big deal, but it's those very California Almond Orchards that have been mentioned, that might be responsible for spreading diseases among bees AROUND THE WORLD!

It turns out that the demand to pollinate the almond orchards is so great that bees must be brought in from around the country and around the WORLD to do the job.

In 2006, one million bee hives were brought into California just for the almond harvest. That's 25 BILLION bees! Perhaps they all got dosed good with chemical while here, and picked up the diseases and spread them elsewhere.

Bee keepers now believe that its this intermingling of bees from around the world that has caused the disease(s) to spread everywhere.

So you can blame the chemcial and pharmaceutical companies for promoting the use of these things for the demise of the bees.

That is the best explanation I have seen so far...

Regardless of the reason, you can be SURE the industries that caused it will insist the real cause be covered up to protect their business.

4. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Here's a list of chemicals now being used on crops in Europe that bees frequent. And this is only in the EU!

1. The European Commission has decided to allow use of a number of doubtful pesticides. Some of these were banned in Sweden for many years such as Amitrole, 2,4-D, Linuron, Mecoprop, Paraquat, Propineb, Thiram and Bromoxynil. Some of these are extreemly hazardous to man but the objections from our government chemistry authority had no effect on the descision makers in Brussels. These pesticides are mainly herbicides and fungicides and most likely we will not find one of them that is used all over the affected region.

2. The European Commission has authorised a large number of new pesticides for an even larger number of different uses without adequate hazard testing. The new generation of pesticides can be generalised as: 1. Low dosage, 2. Long persistence, 3. Systemic action, 4. Difficult to detect in laboratory tests. The swedish government authority is also complaining in their annual report (KI, 2003) that it is difficult to keep track of the different pesticides due to many changes of ownership within the private sector.

3. The aphid pests (Megilethes spp.) on oil-seed rape has developed resistance to the most popular pyretroid pesticides. Therefore the chemistry authority again approved use of the extreemly bee poisonous insecticide Fenitrothion (Sumithion or Folithion) from year 2001. This pesticide was banned more than 20 years ago due to its enormous risks for bees, other insects and aquatic life.

4. The use of insecticides increased in Sweden 2001-2002 by 250 %. A possible reason is that the warm summers (global warming?) caused heavy growth of aphid colonies in many grain crops.

5. A new range of pesticides has enterred the market the last 5 years. These are all based on the active ingredient Imidakloprid, a chemical that affect the digestive neurosystem of insects. Popularly we can say that insects that get in touch with these products loose their apetite and stop being harmful to crops. These insecticides have long persistence and a systemic effect. It is therefore possible that the harmful effect will occur over a long period and only slowly in a bee colony consuming its stored reserves of plant material during winter. The treeted seed will for instance germinate in august 2004, the plant will flower in June 2005 and bees will collect and store contaminated nectar and pollen that can cause indistinct symptoms during the winter 2006, one year and a half after! Here is a list of Imidakloprid products being registered in Sweden:
    Chinook for seed dressing of oil-seed rape seed.

Gaucho and Montur for seed dressing of sugar beet seed.

Prestige for dressing of potatoe seed before planting.

Confidor for treatement through irrigation water in green houses (ornamental plants, tomatoes, cucumber and sweet pepper).

Merit Forest for treatment of forest plants against insect attacts.

Some products are also registered for indoor plant use in homes as dip sticks.

Commercial representatives also confirm that these products have been tried as seed dressing on wheat and oats. They are however not willing to disclose to what extent farmers are using seed treated with these chemicals. In France Imidakloprid pesticides have been banned for use on sunflower crops after heavy protests from beekeeper groups.

6. Pesticides in sugar cultivation or industrial manipulation of white sugar may be another foreseen problem for bee colonies. Use of the above mentioned systemic seed dressers on sugar beet seed (point 5.) or insecticides on sugar cane fields can be a hidden problem. Also new techniques for extraction or bleeching of white sugar may cause a possible hazard to bees. An increasing trade with sugar products has also been noted.

7. Extensive use of desciccants (Glyfosat, Rambo, Roundup) for total kill of weeds instead of mechanical cultivation. The total usage of these herbicides has increased four years in a row. This is remarkable since the increase of Glyfosat products used took place at the same time as the acreage of ecological farming also increased. This must imply that the intensity of Glyfosat usage has increased on the farmland that is still cultivated with chemicals. Several Glyfosat products are also registered for use by laymen in ordinary gardens.

5. Gaston

Gaston Loup Garou

I've been noticing my flowers, yard (a lot of clover), and garden. I'm up to my ass in bees! Honeybees, carpenter bees, bumblebees, and a lot of varieties I can't identify, I've got more bees than ever. I don't use any chemical fertilizers or pest controls, just a carefully targeted tiny bit of organic "discouragement" when the cucumber beetles are eating me out of house and home is the lot.

Makes me wonder if the bees aren't really declining, they're just finding friendlier homes.

6. mark777

mark777 Member

nah just be GE crops...

7. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

If it's a fungus it adapts more slowly than viruses or bacteria. Plus they're resistant to all but the sorts of antimicrobial agents that would would kill the bees as well as their parasites. We'd be reduced to harvesting windpollinated crops like wheat and corn.

8. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

A techie told me that cell phone transmission interferes with the bees.

9. zombie.

zombie. Member

Bees look pretty cool but they hurt man. I could do without them...at least in everyday life.

10. i0-techno

i0-techno The Magnificent Dope

It is good to care, care and don't be weary for the next man, just care where he did not, you do your part and all will be rewarded duly. Words are not going to be the solution, common sense will, no worries. No matter whatever view you hold.

11. Argiope aurantia

Argiope aurantia Member

My Bio prof and I were looking at this. I saw that the bees in my neighborhood weren't flying, just staggering along the ground, and that several of them had crunkled wings. I caught one (That was not fun.) and he sent it off to a colleague. The colleage said that it was a random mutation in that particular hive, but that the bee population does this every couple of centuries. It's happened once in America before, and in Europe several times. In my area, the bees have been replaced by the sudden flourishing of a type of predatory fly that pollinates flowers by accident while looking for aphids to eat. I don't know why they suddenly spiked in population, but those are happy, happy little flies. They've been making nests in the brick of my apartment building, and my plants this summer were almost pest-free. Yay for the little stingless flies!