Bees dying throughout the planet

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by eshu, Apr 3, 2007.

1. eshu

eshu Member

It is reported that in many different regions of the planet, mass bee deaths occured. In Turkey, 1/3 of the bee population is dead.
    In USA, Croatia etc.. same kinds of mass deaths or emptied hives have been noted.

This, the scientists say, is most probably from global warming and pollution.

What is even more tragic is that the bees are responsible for the biggest part of plants' pollination.

[size=-1]Albert Einstein speculated in the past that "If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe, then man would only have four years of life left."

When no pollination, most of the natural plants will die. Animals are next to follow.

Who would follow them, do you think?[/size]

2. shedtroll

shedtroll Peace, Love & Linux

We're screw'd

3. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Global warming is responsible for all of the world's ills including the death of hives and bees. Jump on that bus and fight the good cause!

4. sentient

sentient Senior Member

Wheres your proof, post a link TO A CREDIBLE SOURCE !

5. eshu

eshu Member

I'll do as soon as I can.
    thanks for the warning.

6. eshu

eshu Member

as the detailed research reports I've read were specialized on the bee die off in turkey and in turkish and it won't be of much help to you.

though skepticism is a good thing. try Gordon Frankie's (entomologist) researches.

denying the obvious never aids nobody. we see the results of pollution and global warming even with the naked eye. blind denial is as dangerous as blind trust. (oh "please" do not start a discussion from this phrase, this is not personal.)

here is also something to look on, although it is not a scientific work actually: http://rantsfromtherookery.blogspot.com/2007/03/death-of-bees-indian-farmers-and.html

7. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Buying into hype and hysteria only pays off for those that are creating it.

8. eshu

eshu Member

I agree heartily. Though one must not fall into another one while running from a supposedly popular hysteria. Keep that in mind also.

9. sentient

sentient Senior Member

10. eshu

eshu Member

11. Gaston

Gaston Loup Garou

From the U. S. House of Representatives official website

http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/agriculture_dem/pr_032907_HOAbees.html

So, at this point Congress hasn't discovered the cause, but they're still investigating. Maybe we'll find out something verifiable soon.

12. Gaston

Gaston Loup Garou

I remember reading some 18th century sources saying some Native Americans called the honeybee "white man's flies". They knew the settlers were encroaching closer when honeybees appeared, as they seemed to advance across the continent just ahead of white farmers.

I suspect that, at least in North America, the honeybee is only necessary to the extent that it has replaced native bees. I live in Virginia and I rarely see a honeybee around the house. Most of the pollination here is done by bumblebees, carpenter bees, and other native bees. That doesn't mean that dying honeybees isn't a serious matter.

13. WalkTheSky

WalkTheSky Member

I've got a friend who is a farmer, and this year he only has 1/4th of his usual bee comb population.

14. Catfish

Catfish Member

15. WhirledPeas

WhirledPeas Member

Another article can be found here, at http://www.prisonplanet.com/article...07beesdying.htm.
    I have actually been noticing a LOT of dead/dying bees on the ground lately...didnt really give it much thought till i saw this article though...disturbing stuff
    ==============================================

The alarming decline in bee populations across the United States and Europe represents a potential ecological apocalypse, an environmental catastrophe that could collapse the food chain and wipe out humanity. Who and what is behind this flagrant abuse of the eco-system?

Many people don't realize the vital role bees play in maintaining a balanced eco-system. According to experts, if bees were to become extinct then humanity would perish after just four years.

"If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man," said Albert Einstein.

Others would say four years is alarmist and that man would find other food sources, but the fact remains that the disappearance of bees is potentially devastating to agriculture and most plant life.

Reports that bee populations are declining at rates of up to 80% in areas of the U.S. and Europe should set alarm bells ringing and demand immediate action on behalf of environmental organizations. Experts are calling the worrying trend "colony collapse disorder" or CCD.

"Bee numbers on parts of the east coast and in Texas have fallen by more than 70 percent, while California has seen colonies drop by 30 to 60 percent," reports AFP.

"Approximately 40 percent of my 2,000 colonies are currently dead and this is the greatest winter colony mortality I have ever experienced in my 30 years of beekeeping," apiarist Gene Brandi, from the California State Beekeepers Association, told Congress recently.

The article states that U.S. bee colonies have been dropping since 1980 and the number of beekeepers have halved.

Scientists are thus far stumped as to what is causing the decline, ruling out parasites but leaning towards some kind of new toxin or chemical used in agriculture as being responsible. "Experts believe that the large-scale use of genetically modified plants in the US could be a factor," reports Germany's Spiegal Online.

Bee populations throughout Germany have simultaneously dropped 25% and up to 80% in some areas. Poland, Switzerland and Spain are reporting similar declines. Studies have shown that bees are not dying in the hive, something is causing them to lose their sense of orientation so that they cannot return to the hive. Depleted hives are not being raided for their honey by other insects, which normally happens when bees naturally die in the winter, clearly suggesting some kind of poisonous toxin is driving them away.

"In many cases, scientists have found evidence of almost all known bee viruses in the few surviving bees found in the hives after most have disappeared. Some had five or six infections at the same time and were infested with fungi -- a sign, experts say, that the insects' immune system may have collapsed."

A study at the University of Jena from 2001 to 2004 showed that toxins from a genetically modified maize variant designed to repel insects, when combined with a parasite, resulted in a "significantly stronger decline in the number of bees" than normal.

"According to Hans-Hinrich Kaatz, a professor at the University of Halle in eastern Germany and the director of the study, the bacterial toxin in the genetically modified corn may have "altered the surface of the bee's intestines, sufficiently weakening the bees to allow the parasites to gain entry -- or perhaps it was the other way around. We don't know."

Kaatz was desperate to continue his studies but funding was cut off.

While we are lectured by government to change our lifestyle and cough up more taxes for the supposed peril of man-made global warming, an environmental catastrophe that could eliminate the human race in the figurative blink of an eye is looming.

Why are major environmental groups and lobbyists ignoring this mammoth threat to our very existence? Where is Greenpeace?

The hyperbole surrounding man-made global warming is swallowing up all the attention while real dangers like the rapid die-off of bee populations and its link to GM food is largely shunned by governments and activist foundations.

Is it a stretch to hypothesize that government mandated spraying of crops with deadly chemicals as well as toxic substances contained in chemtrails could be part of a deliberate program to eliminate the bee population? Or is this just another example of big business flagrantly abusing the eco-system in order to drive up profits?

The elite have publicly stated their desire to significantly reduce world population on numerous occasions. Just yesterday we featured a story about a British Government Ministry of Defence report that postulated on the future use of bio-weapons to thin the human population in under 30 years.

Making bees all but extinct would be a swift and plausibly deniable method of enacting global population reduction long dreamed of by the maniacal sociopaths that control the world.

Either way, this issue represents an overwhelming threat to the food chain and an environmental crime of the highest order, for which the perpetrators need to be brought up on charges of accessories to genocide, should a deliberate effort to endanger the food chain be proven, and the chemicals responsible immediately banned.

Please circulate this article to environmental groups and demand they investigate who and what is killing our bees!

16. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

If all the bees died, I wonder just how devastating it would be to humankind? Clearly a HUGE portion of the biosphere would be cleared out eventually, the majority of species on the planet destroyed, but how much longer could mankind carry on in a disabled and dying environment?

Remember there are other pollinators than bees (let's assume all bee species DO become extinct, for whatever reasons, for this) so small pockets of ecosystems would likely remain longer around than the others.

So would we still exist, and would it be a life worth living, from a human perspective (that would be you, the reader, would you want to live in whatever future world you've imagined while reading this) ?

What do you think? Would life be worth living post bee-genocide apocalypse? (okay, that sounded silly, but I am utterly serious about the question!)

17. WWKCD729

WWKCD729 Member

ummm...its pretty fucking obvious that bees are disappearing...<---credible source

18. Flight From Ashiya

Flight From Ashiya Senior Member

I knew that there was a strange phenomenon killing off the Bees in Britain but I didn't think it was a global problem.Bees dying throughout all their habitations on Planet Earth is alarming.
    It's pretty frightening to think of the knock on effect on 'Pollination'.Without the Bee: Trees & Plants may die out too.
    If this problem was viewed at it's severest scerario;could we be looking at the begining of the slow 'depletion' of the whole eco-system of the natural world?.
    Global warming? GM Crops?Fertilizers?Depletion of Hedgerows?could all be factors.
    Recently scientist have be pointing to Mobile Phones as a potential catalyst in the mass disappearance of Honey Bees & Bumble Bees.
    The Bee's sonar is affected by the phone signals-it confuses their frequencies & they lose their navigation from plant to hive -they are disorientated & die of over-exposure to the sun.
    Well- do we tell our grandchildren how lucky we were that 'we actually saw Bees collecting pollen in our lifetimes?'

19. WWKCD729

WWKCD729 Member

when cockroaches start dieing off, then we all need to be extremely,very, very concerned...but for now maybe just extremely,very concerned...lol..for real, it is a problem, we need to do something as a world,but do you think it will happen? nope...

20. Yoseff

Yoseff Music Addict

The problem here lies in the fact that it is not only the honeybees dying off, but a good portion of the native population is as well.