Battlefield game makes a politcal statement?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by unfocusedanakin, Dec 20, 2018.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Not sure about this topic here. Feels politcal to me though.

There is a video game series called Battlefield the new game is set in World War 2. Deposit this you can play as a female character in combat. For some reason this has created A LOT of hate and I am hearing the classic racist/ incel dog whistles in the hate. It's all about "preserving heritage" and "keeping politics out of games". Really politics out of a World War 2 game? It's a politcal topic.

So much so that 3 weeks after the game came out it's half price. This is unusual for such a big budget game that has a reputation for being good. I have a minor in history so I guess I know a bit about it. Although actual female combat is rare they definitely were a part of Word War 2 and I really don't see the fuss.

I think you have the issue is a women threatens you that much. I see it as not so much about the game but white males being upset in general by a changing society. The tradional role of a female is to submit. You cook, clean, and ensure the children of the race are cared for. This is why it's an insult to have Me too and even in fantasy take away from the role of men. And despite who is in the white house this way of thinking is progressing. This role is huge in both the alt-right and incel communities. You grab them by the pussy and they like it. It's no longer 1960 and the Mad Men style is not working. So something like a game is a hill to die on. Historically gamers are male and most characters are male. In the last 5-10 years not so much so it's the classic the world changes and I don't like it.

Also since the game features Nazis there is a weird pride thing going on. I have seen this with a few WW2 games in the past few years. The Nazi is thought of as misrepresented by the liberal media and the only reason they are there is to insult good right wing Americans. The fact they are the "bad guy" is unacceptable and not accurate of the true history. It indoctrinates people into a way of thinking. I was confused by this but they themselves make this connection. So I guess women killing a Nazi is an extra slap in the face.

WritersPanic and GuerrillaLorax like this.
  2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i know nothing about this topic beyond what you posted, but if this game is supposed to be historically accurate then it's probably failing in that goal by letting you fight as a woman. if it's just a fun fantasy warfare game set in WWII, then it shouldn't matter.

3. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

OP acts as if Battlefield is some obscure new game.

4. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

Good analyses OP. I witnessed a bit of this. There were many amazing women fighting the Nazis. Especially in resistance movements, like in France. Actually some of the greatest fighters I've heard of have been women.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Battlefield is an unrealistic game designed for solo rambos with the soul purpose to blow things up and shoot people. If you want a decent realistic simulation you try Post Scriptum which is a team based objective game. You can't run around solo like Rambo and actually achieve anything, you need to radio communicate with your platoon to flank objectives so your other platoons have can make progress on objectives. It's actually too realistic it becomes frustrating but none the less, it's an awesome game. :)

For instance in battlefield if you jump into a tank you control everything as the driver. Un realistic.

In post Scriptum you must select as a mobile unit. You Forfeit any right to a proper weapon. The driver only drives the tank, you need a gunner to communicate to who fires the gun plus a 3rd on the machine gun. If you can't communicate, you can't do anything lol.

Another great feature in Post Scriptum is the innacuracy of weapons. They're no accurate. If you see a guy running 100m away you need luck to hit thay moving target unlike battlefield where bullets magically hit the target 500m away.

Being under mortar attack is also quite an emotional roller coaster. At times even I am dismayed by what's happening. Mind you I play with the volume pretty high, when you're under attack sometimes I have to literally turtle my head into my shoulders as the constant blasts and booms leave you in dismay, whereas is battle field you'd just run on through it.

But what the OP doesn't want to hear is, like any WW2 game the numbers highly favor the Nazis, because that's what people want to play as. It's not a racial or political agenda in any sense, it's the fact that Germans has better artillery and uniforms, it's fun to play as a Nazi. I always have a good time participating with UK and American players, and also giving them history lessons and Deutsch lessons during game play, because that's what people want to do, they want to be Nazis, shoot allies and comment with a few German words a long the way. :D

Now faktor in Post Scriptum has laser scanned and the most authentic uniforms in any WW2 game and that the physics of the tanks are extremely realistic, not even Americans want to play as Americans with their shitty Sherman tanks. :p

Sounds to me like Battlefield is trying anything to sell off a few extra thousand units by adding a woman character. But you see, nobody actually cares. Nobody wants to see women in a game. They want to be Nazis. They want to shoot each other. If they want to be women, they'll play Tombraider.

Post Scriptum has been the game Europeans have been waiting for, for a long time. It is set during operation market garden in France and the maps are a huge 20x20km sometimes more.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  6. Since it's a game, I fail to see how it can be taken seriously in any context. If they want to portray women in front line combat during WW2, so be it. Why not have them riding unicorns with mortars on their horn as they charge toward the Nazis? Seems just as viable.

Years ago I played a game called Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe. It was mostly flight simulator with easier controls and the ability to have unlimited weapons, fuel and shielding. So after blasting away at targets in France, I just flew my Ho-339 flying wing across the channel and blasted away at Brighton and then on to London. What fun. Though totally inaccurate.

While I understand how purists must see all of this, they don't have to play the game. However, is portraying them as "threatened by women" supposed to inject reality? This is where "Gamergate" went off the rails. While war is probably the ultimate expression of politics, it's not exactly a conversation. Particularly for the people doing the actual fighting. Most of them do not fully understand why they are shooting at a given objective.

Otherwise they might not be shooting at all. Which is why they are trained to operate like a machine and follow orders.

For the record, I loved Inglorius Basterds. Even though it was pure fiction. If you want to see woman in front line combat though, you're in the right century.

7. unfocusedanakin

Huh? I played several of them. And I made sure to buy this one.

8. unfocusedanakin

Not sure where you got that idea.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Personal experience?

That's why WW2 games are making a resurgence, nobody cares about the middle east conflicts anymore. Nobody wants to be Muslim terrorists, but it's way cool fighting as a Nazi. Which I know must annoy you.

10. unfocusedanakin

Personal experience huh? Well I'm not bothered by history. I am bothered by people not understanding it and minimizing the effects that time period has now. That does not mean games can not be fun or that I am upset when I play on the team with a Swastika. Something that I guess Germany does not agree with since they edit that out for the release there. So your country with good reason I guess is more sensitivity then me to this topic.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Jews, not my country. Just Jews. Which is why Post Scriptum was such a tide turning chapter to the FPS franchise, someone finally a true to life sim based on German accomplishments and the servers are jammed full of Europeans finally having a good time once you take away all the American bullshit development based on innacurate details which I believe is a huge factor in series like Battlefield where it's just, well, fake lol.

But don't laugh too much yet, even Matrix Games had to take the confederate flag away away from one of their civil war games, because too many Americans got pissy over it. :p

And honestly, while the immediate game may take away a swastika, game patches are already made before release to counter it.

And yeah, in my personal experience, Nazi games generally attract more people, and the Nazi sides are more popular.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  12. unfocusedanakin

You sound very American. Saying there is some conspiracy to shame your country.

I don't know. You seem to have some anger to me. All I can say is you don't sound like much of a Juggalo to me. Love not hate. Think what you will about the history I learned. There was lots of on the economics of the Second World War. It's more then "America fuck yeah. Nazi bad". I also had actual Germans on exchange in the class. I feel I got an accurate look.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Lol, when you stoop to having to pull the Juggalo card in a conversation out of thin air you're going to lose credibility. I've proved to you on at least two instances alone you don't know what a Juggalo is and you only know a few Juggalos and I don't fit their profile some I'm not a Juggalo. That's the most backward thing a Juggalo could say.

I don't have an agenda against you, but it's these petty little details you hold against me that makes me not like you very much. Basically, like every man and his dog in the world and on this site, I can't be who I am because I don't fit your perfect citizen profile. I can't have free will or free thinking because i am not common to you, my sense is different. I see things different. It's not.my fault it's just how I am, it's the way my mind is geared, I can't help it.

Difference between you and I is you judge a lot and demonize but for me, I just see ya as a do gooder with a slight hope that one day he'll get where you're coming from. But you never do. Also I find your posts to be pointless whinging and complaining and it kind of annoys me. I'm just going to block you hey. I'm sure you're a nice dude or whatever but I don't need you're negative energy going into 2019.

14. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Well I know it's a boring point of view in most people's opinion...
    But I don't like war games at all, especially not ones based on real conflicts.

15. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

When your second sentence is "There is a video game series called Battlefield the new game is set in World War 2." It sounds like Battlefield is some obscure new game.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  16. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Because people's amusement shouldn't come from the simulation of events concerning such potent human suffering and atrocity?

Mmm... If the game is good enough...

17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i didn't really get that feeling from his post. i'm aware of the battlefield series, but i never really knew what war it was set it or anything. and it's never discussed on hipforums, so there's no reason to assume it's universally known on this site. seemed to me like he just gave a little background information before making his post; i'd much rather he wastes a sentence telling me something i already know instead of just jumping into a rant with no context to explain what the hell he's even talking about. that would be like the rest of the political threads here, where out of nowhere someone always just jumps in and says "this random name is evil and this random name is great, and you have to agree with me or you're as awful as this random name!"

18. unfocusedanakin

You have your opinions and I have mine. If I feel you are full of hate and ignorance for no reason it is what it is. Also what it is is that every Juggalo I have known would sure not excuse the points I made. I can't figure out why you attach so strongly to what you do. Part of it is a cultural identity I guess which I get.

But if you come to a Gathering and say someone who says "Jews will not replace us" is not a Nazi I think you will find lots of disagreement. That exchange sticks out clearly to me. It showed what you think as a person. It's more then clown make up. At least from those I know but it's also a large group with many differing views. It's even a "gang" in some areas according to police. Juggalos commit crime so they can hate I guess.

I figured you did not like and you would not be in my house either. I like to think of myself as nice. Some people just don't vibe and that's ok.

19. unfocusedanakin

Not a lot of people play games. I figured no one would have heard of it. Compared to Call of Duty it's probably not the shooter non-gamers know.

20. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I think people are kidding themselves if they don't think it causes desensitization to violence.