Battle of the bands

Discussion in 'Music' started by MeAgain, Jul 4, 2018.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Here it is!
    The battle of the bands thread.
    Way back when I used to go to Park n Pool every saturday night in the summer for the battle of the bands.
    We'd walk around the pool, flirt with girls, and listen to the teeny bopper garage bands battle it out.

This thread is a place for a battle of generational bands.
    50s, 60's, 70's, 80's, etc.
    Post a song you consider to be one of the best from a particular era and we'll see how many likes it gets.
    Please remember everyone has different taste, so don't make fun of anyone's choices.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  2. MeAgain

I'll start with a little known song from the Mama's and Pappas, 1966.

Moonglow181 and Meliai like this.
  3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Yeah, but...

When this was proposed in another thread, the attitude seemed to be, "I can't be bothered to listen to a whole song."

How do we protect the integrity of this? I was interested in this idea as a concept, but I had the feeling no one was really interested in taking it seriously.

Anyway...

pensfan13 likes this.
  4. MeAgain

Who cares? Just have fun.

BTW, what era is your song? When was it released?
    P.S. I listened to the whole thing.

5. Noserider

The intro is certainly different than what you typically hear in pop music.

Sounds great...weather or not that's because of the recording process or the process by which it was ripped and uploaded to YouTube remains unclear. But the sound quality is fantastic!!!

A good cooking or cleaning the house song, but lacks the intensity that really appeals to me. The song is a product of its time--in a good way. It relies on some interesting harmonies. It's a song I can say doesn't appeal to me personally, but one whose artistic merit I can easily recognize. Should it come on the radio, I wouldn't be upset, but--at the same time--I wouldn't go out of my way to seek it out and listen to it.

Layered and nuanced from an artistic standpoint, but, still, lacking in what I like on a personal level.

Is that fair?

MeAgain likes this.
  6. Noserider

Era is 2010s. I believe it was released in 2011. Shoulda mentioned this in the post with the video, but I selected it primarily because I think it really showcases the brilliance of Janet Weiss' drumming.

7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

This song by Pearl Jam was released in 1995 on the single for their smash hit "Jeremy". It's a pretty cool song. At least I thought so.

8. soulcompromise

I liked when "Dancing Bear" had two or more voices doing different melodies and words (I'm probably not describing this right). I think that's called polyphony or counterpoint; at least that's what google seems to say about that.

MeAgain likes this.
  9. soulcompromise

the lead guitar on "Romance" is pretty cool throughout.

10. Noserider

Yeah, this...

I used the term "interesting harmonies" but I don't think that's not an accurate description. But the part where Mama Cass' started singing different lyrics behind the chorus...that. Whatever that's called. I liked that.

Honestly, only the second Mamas and Papas song I've ever heard in my life. Ever.

Yes, California Dreaming was the other....

11. Noserider

A flash back from the past...

Guitar work--especially the intro--reminds me of Jimi Hendrix

Lacks the traditional structure of a pop song. Not that that is a bad thing. Chorus is guitar work. Definitely a musician's song.

A decent "bumming" around the house song, but much like the Mamas and the Papas song, it lacks the punk rock intensity that I typically love. Not to say that I am one-dimesnional and can't appreciate a slow jam. But this is one of those songs that is only appealing in certain situations--mostly those that involve slow dancing and nostalgia.

12. Noserider

EDIT: Oh yeah...2012 or somewhere in there.

I'll admit, I don't pay a ton of attention to what is released when. I think this song is about 6-8 years old. I didn't look it up before posting and internet source are meh at best...anywhere between 2010 and 2012 comes up. It has to do with album releases and soundtrack releases and all that.

Early 2010's anyway...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  13. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Dancing Bear - Mamas and the Papas:
    Pros: Very interesting song, I have only heard a few songs from them as well and this track captured a completely different atmosphere than anything I had heard prior. I like the slightly ominous sounding chord progression around the 1 minute mark.

Cons: The songs seems like an album track, I enjoyed it but already listening to the other 2 songs posted at the time, I've already forgotten the chorus (if it had one) or most of the melody to it.

Romance - Wild Flag:
    Pros: Song has a good energy, I like the chorus and other changes from the verses.

Cons: The lead guitar for most of the song sounded pretty sloppy, seemed like a component was missing without an actual bassist.

14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Since this is a generational battle, i'll offer this -

I first heard this when I was 19 or 20. I was into all things 60s and 70s at this point. I was convinced my generation had just failed at..everything. And then one day I heard this song and it changed my life because it made me realize my generation can put out good music. I still remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard this

This was released in 2005

15. MeAgain

I didn't like Romance at all, but I'm old so I have to factor that into the equation.
    Yellow Ledbetter just depresses me. I did like the opening, I thought of Hendrix immediately...but it went downhill from there.
    Black Sheep was okay. I wouldn't buy it.
    Musically Land Locked Blues wasn't bad. But why did it depress me also?

16. MeAgain

Noserider's comment on drumming made me think of Carl Palmer, so here's an Emerson, Lake, and Palmer song.
    It was hard decided which song of theirs to post but here's a live version of Knife Edge, 1970.
    It's based on Leoš Janáček's Sinfonietta with a section of Johann Sebastian Bach's first French Suite in D minor, BWV 812, played on the organ. Not that I knew any of that, I looked it up.
    It's a little more intense than the Mamas and Papas song. It shows some of Emerson's incredible playing. Watch it till the end when he bounces his Hammond organ around. Also at 3:00 in particular. He would stick knifes in it from time to time to hold the keys down in order to sustain notes. He also played it upside down while spinning but quit due to injuries to his fingers and a broken nose.

RIP Keith and Craig

17. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

and I thought I knew all of the Mama and Pappa songs..Did not know this song...and really like it.....

Funny... speaking of bears...i have part of a story from yesterday about a bear...Will put it on a chat thread a little later.

18. Moonglow181

Um.....well, I can get carried away with music and songs and bands,. so here I go....some favorites and just examples of each band...

The Beatles....1967

19. soulcompromise

This was released in 1991 on the album Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

guerillabedlam likes this.
  20. Moonglow181

Pink Floyd 1973

scratcho, MeAgain and soulcompromise like this.