Batshit GPS

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Piobaire, Mar 8, 2022.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Went on a trek down to Georgia on some errands; Lula, Dahlonega, Dawsonville. The GPS several times inexplicably twirled us out into the backside of beyond, doing big circles on country roads in the middle of nowhere. Once I mastered Google Maps (smart phones are still a new technology for me), I could see the GPS insistently taking us repeatedly in exactly the wrong direction. We burned up at least $20.00 of gas just wandering around.
    NEVER AGAIN. I've come up with a better technological solution. If you Google "free <state> road map", Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee DOT's will send you an official, up-to-date (within 2 years) road map for free.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

GPS: "recalculating"

scratcho and Piobaire like this.
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

It was so fucked up that I actually wondered for a moment if Russia had hacked the GPS satellites.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  4. Rabbit240

Rabbit240 Banned

I remember hearing on the news that some of the older vehicles with GPS could be affected by the dropping of the 3G networks

5. Varmint

Varmint Member

I find these tales rather funny. Our own government is known to readjust the sats from time to time, especially during times of war or other danger. This is done mostly to throw off incoming attacks, but it's been known to play hell with the average civilian's trips from time to time. I would not be astonished to find some hackers doing the same thing for their own reasons, either. Why not? They've attacked and hacked everything else these days...

6. Tyrsonswood

7. olderndirt

olderndirt Senior Member

At least you got to wander some nice countryside in the hills. Our GPS had us totally lost when we were trying to get to a wedding last weekend. We managed to make it on time, but they were about to send a search party for us.

8. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

I never COUNT on the GPS unless I am lost and it's here, find me the way out....it will get you there, eventually... On a trip I usually check out where I am going ahead of time so I have some idea of where I am going. I've notice it getting lost a number of times, most recently, I notice it wanted to take me in the absolute different direction when I knew I needed to go south a mile or so to get on a nearby interstate, it wanted to take me north. Oh, it probably would have taken me around in a circle eventually, but....all in all, you've got to know where you're going. All in all, it's a Godsend, she can't read a map or tell direction if her life depended on it....eliminated so many arguments....

9. Tyrsonswood

I don't even own a GPS system...