Barilla Pasta

Discussion in 'Gay News' started by Shale, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Shale

Shale ~

I personally will not be buying any product with the Barilla name on it. Why would I wish to support a homophobe when there are so many other pasta makers out there with better business sense than to alienate a whole segment of customers.

Guido Barilla, whose firm has almost half the Italian pasta market and a quarter of that in the US, told Italy’s La Zanzara radio show last night: “I would never do an advert with a homosexual family…if the gays don’t like it they can go an eat another brand.
    “For us the concept of the sacred family remains one of the fundamental values of the company.”

He added: “Everyone has the right to do what they want without disturbing those around them”. But then the pasta magnate upped the ante by attacking gay adoption. “I have no respect for adoption by gay families because this concerns a person who is not able to choose," he said.

Italian activists are calling for a boycott of 20 brands owned by the company including Voiello pasta and Filiz and Misko products.

BASTA! BARILLA PASTA.

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1379706_10151854476735480_361546940_n.jpg

(Today he is already "apologizing" probably at the demand of the board of directors or company accountants)

"With reference to my statements yesterday to the press, I apologize if my words have offended some people.

For clarity I would like to point out that I have the deepest respect for all people, without distinction of any kind.

I have the utmost respect for homosexuals and freedom of expression. I also said, and repeat, that I have respect for marriages between people of the same sex.

Barilla in its advertising has always chosen to represent the family because this is the symbol of hospitality and love for everyone."

NOT GOOD ENUF!

Not until you have an ad with gay families will your pasta taste good again to a lot of ppl.

[​IMG]

2. kurona

kurona Member

alright, I agree really. but as i said on facebook... were not buying it so what are good alternatives then? brands i mean

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

idk, I believe its well in someones rights to be uncomfortable with homosexuality. I also think its a little pathetic of the lbgt community to try a force feed (pun) their cause down everyone's throat.. cool we get it, youre gay. So what!! .. crying when someone dont agree with way?? ... taking a hissy fit.. THATS FUCKING GAY BRO!!

This boycotting bullshit is getting a little old. Honestly dont give a shit either way =) I dont eat pasta.

4. T.C.

T.C. Member

Don't know what do u import, but in Italy we have other good brands like Buitoni, Garofalo, De Cecco... Some of them also started campaigns against Barilla to get new customers.

Inviato dal mio iPhone usando Tapatalk

5. Shale

Shale ~

Not pushing my belief on anyone, just sending out an FYI to anyone who wants to join in this non-support of a company whose owner blatantly belittles a whole class of ppl. (What if he didn't like black ppl or Jews - do you think they would just be quiet and not raise hell at the insult?)

This may not impact them financially to any extent, but it will allow those who find it abhorrent to discriminate against a class of ppl to raise hell and tell him he is out of place - especially when his finances comes from public support.

I was part of the letter writing campaign against that religiously anti-gay bigot Reggie White and because of all our effort it affected him financially. He lost the Campbells Soup spokesperson job and CBS stopped considering him as a sportscaster.

You cannot be in the public eye, making money off the public and denigrate a whole class of ppl without consequences and that is the message I support. And, if we gave these bigots a pass, their public persona then encourages others, such as those kids who think fags are a legit target to bully.

Sometimes you have to speak up for what is right and take away some money from overindulgent rich industrialists who think they can get away with blatant bigotry.

6. Shale

Shale ~

Apparently the heat is making it uncomfortable in the Barilla kitchen. Guido issued another apology

Apology from Chairman Guido Barilla:
    September 27, 2013
    "Yesterday I apologized for offending many people around the world. Today I am repeating that apology.

"Through my entire life I have always respected every person I've met, including gays and their families, without any distinction. I've never discriminated against anyone.

"I've heard the countless reactions around the world to my words, which have depressed and saddened me. It is clear that I have a lot to learn about the lively debate concerning the evolution of the family.

"In the coming weeks, I pledge to meet representatives of the groups that best represent the evolution of the family, including those whose who have been offended by my words."

On one of the petitions to which I added my name, my comments were directed at Guido personally, telling him how disappointed I was that a young man of modern European upbringing would be so archaic in his thinking and so bigoted toward a group of ppl who are no different than him, except for loving someone of the same gender. Gay ppl make excellent parents and want nothing more than to be accepted as any heterosexual couple.

Complaints are that these apologies are not sincere but just a reaction to the marketing nightmare that he has created. It doesn't matter, there are a lot of closeted homophobes and racists among us.

What matters is that ppl are not allowed to get away with publicly discriminating or belittling a certain group of ppl or you give license to the crude ones to attack them. The Nazi's did it in Germany, (Kristalnacht) and the Racists did it in the U.S. (lynchings). Never again!

7. DrewSpeaksTrue

DrewSpeaksTrue Member

my bf and I decided this brand of pasta will no longer end up in our apartment.

8. odonII

odonII O

"We have a slightly different culture," Barilla said, per a Huffington Post translation of the interview. "For us, the 'sacral family' remains one of the company’s core values. Our family is a traditional family. If gays like our pasta and our advertisings, they will eat our pasta; if they don’t like that, they will eat someone else’s pasta. You can’t always please everyone not to displease anyone. I would not do a commercial with a homosexual family, not for lack of respect toward homosexuals – who have the right to do whatever they want without disturbing others – but because I don’t agree with them, and I think we want to talk to traditional families. The women are crucial in this."

Barilla said he respects people's right to do what they want without disturbing others, but that he does not agree with gay adoption.

"I respect same-sex marriage because that concerns people who want to contract marriage, but I absolutely don’t respect adoptions in gay families, because that concerns a person who is not the people who decide," he added.

I think he is just being honest. He does not sound like he is being bigoted, and I don't sense he hates homosexuals...he's basically saying his 'brand' is more traditional and his idea of the family is more traditional. Man woman children...
    ...hunky neighbours...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Ujrz2Xe_A"]Barilla pasta commercial - U.S. - YouTube

I have only seen one advert where there has been a 'gay couple'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOUi0UfEv3I"]Lesbian Commercial - YouTube

Like he said: You can’t always please everyone not to displease anyone.

Associating his words with Nazi's etc is a little melodramatic isn't it?

Eat another pasta... like he cares :p

9. Shale

Shale ~

No, not at all. I wasn't only associating HIS words, I was associating the verbal advocacy of discrimination as giving license to others who might think it was alright to beat, harass or murder minorities or the unfavored. This was the conditions in the racist South in my childhood and in Nazi Germany back into the 1930s. Hate speech can incite hate crimes in any society.

The purpose of boycotts is letting others know they might want to 'eat another pasta.' And he does care about that, evidenced by the crawfishing he & company are now doing.

He doesn't have to please everyone - ppl were quite happy not seeing a gay couple and their family sitting down to a meal with Barilla. But when he said it was not an oversight but a conscientious effort - then he brot out the bigotry of his actions.

Unless you are my age you won't remember early TV in the U.S. For some reason black ppl didn't seem to need soap or deodorant or laundry detergent because you NEVER saw them in commercials. IDK if anyone ever noticed - except in hindsight when they finally did start appearing, probably in the late '60s.

But I don't think anyone from Proctor & Gamble or any other company ever said "We would never do an advert with a black family…if the blacks don’t like it they can go buy another brand. For us the concept of the white family remains one of the fundamental values of the company and its white customers.”

10. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Clearly the guy is a complete jerk (even if he apologized .... all lies anyway)

BUT

If you buy that overpriced stuff you deserve that kind of statement ....

11. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yup. They always back track FAST when it might affect their money flow. He expressed himself clearly with his first statement, so any bullshit after that is still just that---bullshit.

12. odonII

odonII O

Shale

From what I can gather he was asked a question and he answered it honestly.
    'Why do you not have homosexuals in your adverts' 'Because our brand is orientated to a mother father and children'
    I don't speak Italian, though...

http://www.radio24.ilsole24ore.com/...-09-26/guido-barilla-spot-famiglia-122352.php

You missed out a couple of elements in your posts: 'not for lack of respect toward homosexuals' 'I respect same-sex marriage' - removing some of his qualifying comments changes the context, doesn't it?

I think you have somewhat crafted 'hate speech' here...

I don't see where his comments can be translated to mean he hates homosexuals or he is particularly bigoted.

He's simply saying his preference for his brand is a heterosexual family.

Somewhat butchered in translation, perhaps...

If you think his words give licence to others to 'beat, harass or murder' - I think you might be taking it a little too far.
    How many homophobes do you know that say: 'I respect same-sex marriage' ?

I can understand why you are mindful - but there does seem to be a little bit of omission and crafting going on here...

I do know in the UK and the US adverts were pretty much 'white'.
    I'm not sure in the US but here it was mainly because at the time the country was 'pretty much white'.
    And having a coloured family on an advertisement wouldn't appeal to the predominantly white audience.
    I would imagine an international company such as PandG made specific adverts for specific markets...you probably won't find many black faces in their Japanese adverts even now...

13. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Of course you can, at least in the short-to-medium run. In the old days, gay people were completely or almost completely underground, driven to the margins, living in fear. That is because gay people were politically nearly powerless.

Now gay people are much more politically powerful. We still live in a society dependent on an victimized underclass, it's just that we've reshuffled who is in the underclass. That's what changes, who is in the underclass, what percentage of the population is in it, and the way and degree to which they are victimized.

14. Shale

Shale ~

I posted all his quotes as put in the news source. I think you did not read post #1 before accusing me of all those journalistic oversights. Go back and read the elements that you missed, the qualifying comments that are still there in post #1 before accusing me of hate speech.

15. odonII

odonII O

Well, not quite, but almost - part was in the apology, and some of the quote was abridged or completely missing (omissions) /crafting).
    The two parts I quoted that I thought you had missed where there in a round about way.
    I did read what you had written and then kinda skimmed the apology.

I wouldn't call them journalistic oversights.
    As that is exactly what certain journalists would do.
    In this case, Michael Day...

First you call him a homophobe - then you use an abridged version of his quote to I presume make your case:

“I would never do an advert with a homosexual family…if the gays don’t like it they can go an eat another brand.
    For us the concept of the sacred family remains one of the fundamental values of the company.”

Which is not 100% what he said.

I'm not accusing you of 'hate speech' I'm accusing you of crafting your posts to create hate speech.

I do get why you have spun it this way, I really do...

'I was associating the verbal advocacy of discrimination'

- I can kinda see where you are coming from, but I think you are overstating it...
    If someone chooses to see it in the same way you do, then they will (that he hates homosexuals and is homophobic).
    I've not chosen to interpret his words (in there entirety) the same way you have.

I just wouldn't go as far as calling him homophobic and saying he hates homosexuals...

But I get why you are...

16. M2D

M2D Member

As someone who does alot of cooking, Barilla really is the best... Not commenting on this thread as far as whether I will continue to use them or not, but anyone looking for an alternative, De Cecco is a close second.

17. kurona

kurona Member

I believe our groceries here carry De Cecco or atleast amazon does.

18. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The guy who does the cooking for the house is Italian American from Chicago. HHe swears by Barilla and won't be making any changes soon. He doesn't easily sway to politics.

19. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

And that's pretty much a nice summary of privilege.