Barefooting = 16 percent increase in working memory performance

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by TheGreatShoeScam, Nov 19, 2018.

1. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

UNF Researchers Show Running Barefoot Improves Working Memory
    UNF - Media Relations - UNF Researchers Show Running Barefoot Improves Working Memory

Notice I left the running part out of the title. I don't think running or walking makes any difference.

According to Ross Alloway, it’s possible that the barefoot condition required a more intensive use of working memory because of the extra tactile and proprioceptive demands associated with barefoot running, which may account for the working memory gains.

For more information about the study, visit SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research.

2. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I swear barefooting is good for mental health in general, I will have to think about it for a bit to explain better.

Above it sais "barefoot condition required a more intensive use of working memory"

I am thinking that really only applies to people who wear shoes all the time as I am no longer aware of my "barefoot condition" anymore then I am aware of my bare handed condition most of the time. before I quit wearing shoes when I did take them off I remember what it was like, I was aware of my barefoot condition each and every step.

3. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Don't Know About The 16 % Bit......BUT......After 12 And A Quarter Years FULL TIME Barefoot.....

There Most Certainly Is A Powerfull Connection Between The Feet And The Brain......Every Step

On A Rough Surface Sends A Stimulus To The Brain.....:smile:

Cheers Glen.

goodearth and Irminsul like this.
  4. Matias

Matias Members

This is rather interesting.

Does barefooting in the house help?

5. BarefootedBoy

BarefootedBoy Members

I believe this. There's something about being barefoot that increases your awareness of your surroundings and yourself.

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

damn, i'd hate to see what my memory would be like if i always wore shoes.

Irminsul likes this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You do realise at some point in your younger life you do recall a teacher telling you to capitilze that D in front of your sentence, right? :D

8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i really don't remember much of anything that a teacher said to me. except in first grade when i felt like shit and my teacher said "are you sicky wicky?" i never forgave her for that.

although i do remember from that same year, when the smelly kid in class raised his hand and said "mrs xxx, marcus laughed when i picked my nose and ate my booger." i feel a little bad, but i don't think i've ever seen an entire classroom laugh so hard.

GLENGLEN and Irminsul like this.
  9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Cause you been wearing shoes. Haha.

10. Terry B

Terry B Life is wonderful

I go barefoot as much as possible. I refrain from being barefoot on ice after falling on my butt a few times.
    I was barefoot in Asheville NC a few weeks ago. My wife who always wears shoes was tripping on the uneven cobble stones and the sidewalk cracks. She ask me why I didn’t have the same problem. I told her Being barefoot makes me very aware of my where my feet are going to be, that way I don’t trip or step on bad things.
    In my opinion I use more of my brain when walking due to keeping my feet injury free and still processing the rest of my surroundings.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    goodearth and BarefootedBoy like this.
  11. BarefootedBoy

BarefootedBoy Members

I agree, Terry!

12. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Absolutely. What I started doing way back was keeping my shoes/flip flops in the car and not even having them in the house to break the habit of putting on shoes when I got dressed in the morning. My original intention was to have them in the car so I would not have to stop and look for them when going out but I noticed that if I started my day barefoot I did not notice my 'barefoot condition' the way I do when I first take them off.

I am still kind of amazed how my little experiment to see if I could 'toughen' my feet and adapt to going barefoot completely worked and I ended up hating to wear shoes as I used to hate going barefoot cause like almost everyone else I believed my feet were naturally too fragile and I 'needed' shoes.

I tried a few days ago I still can't think of way to explain the positive effects of barefooting on what they call mental health but it really is positive. They should do more science on this.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  13. BarefootedBoy

BarefootedBoy Members

It definitely is positive! I am much less stressed when I'm barefoot. It's that laid-back feeling of freedom!

riverman18 and goodearth like this.
  14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

that's what i do too, especially with the flip flops. not to break any habit of putting them on first thing, because i would never do that anyway, but it's just way more convenient. i pretty much never need to put on flip flops at home, but i do sometimes have to when i'm somewhere that i drove to.

15. Matias

Matias Members

That's awesome. I go barefoot in the house as it's anyways and I definitely noticed in the beginning. Now, not so much. I grew up with the idea that you should not wear shoes in the house anyways so I kept up with that.

Sometimes I may wear some socks in the house if it's cold and the floor is cold but most of the time I just bare it.

It's too much trouble to wear my ragged shoes in the house.

I definitely thought in the beginning that it helped me but like I said, I don't know if I notice anything anymore.

In the beginning I noticed less stress too. Not sure why, but it seemed to keep my in tune with my body more and that was always a plus.