Barefoot in winter and how you going

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by RT19, Nov 24, 2018.

1. RT19

RT19 Members

I’ve Been pretty quiet around here lately so I thought I’d share the fact that I have been barefoot for the past 8 days now! I’ve had no work so no reason to put on the dreaded shoes and socks. It’s actually been very good. I’ve been to two shopping centres and a town centre. I spent Black Friday wandering around town in the mist and bitter cold with my totally bare feet it was amazing. Got some strange looks but all in all it was brilliant.

Anyone else being barefoot recently?

goodearth, Terry B and BarefootedBoy like this.
  2. RT19

RT19 Members

Barefooting everyday is just amazing.

BarefootedBoy likes this.
  3. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

How do you do it?

I get asked this by people who don't barefoot at all... so I know it the answer is probably the same.. But they ask when it's actually warm. If I barefoot now (aside from the odd milder day), my toes would go numb. Then I worry about nerve damage and also hurting myself because I can't feel so well.

How do you manage it? Just excellent circulation?

RT19 likes this.
  4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

it's cold, so i pretty much keep socks on at least.

i did run over to my apartment's laundry area a couple times last week (probably 150 yards or so). the cold hurt the hell out of my feet, so much that i actually took the time to put on boots before my third trip over there.

RT19 likes this.
  5. BarefootedBoy

BarefootedBoy Members

As long as the temp stays above 40, I go barefoot outside. During spring and summer, I often don't bother with even flip-flops if I'm going to a store or friend's house. No need.
    Feels good to be barefoot!

RT19 and edde like this.
  6. Terry B

Terry B Life is wonderful

5063A7CB-D3C1-4E93-8F82-053DEC3BA28A.jpeg 5063A7CB-D3C1-4E93-8F82-053DEC3BA28A.jpeg C376C9A9-613B-497E-8E72-3137E9721084.jpeg I worked with my wife cleaning the creek that feeds the pond on a fine November morning. The water and the air were 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Very nice day.

Attached Files:

7. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I like going barefoot, but wouldn't call myself a part of the barefoot community like some of ya'll. But, the past week or so, the temps here have cooled to like 20 degrees less than the summer, and the sidewalk/driveway feels so good under my bare feet, like when I walk out to get the mail. Cool, refreshing, I like that feeling. I don't think it'd be safe to go barefoot when it's at freezing temps outside, or in the snow. Frostbite and all that.

RT19, bft4evr and Driftrue like this.
  8. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

May I ask how are the temperatures at your end? I was cleaning my house yesterday, and took my bed sheets and carpets out for some dusting. It was -11 C (12.2 Fah) at the time, but I went barefoot anyway. Lovely feeling how those ice crystals crack and melt beneath the sole. Was left with a minor stinging sensation to both soles afterwards, so I warmed them up for a while with some warm water, and kept a blanket wrapped around them while I was working with my laptop.

-11 is definitely starting to be my limit, the burning sensation begins to invade you pretty quickly. Definitely don't try it without quick access to a safe place.

RT19 likes this.
  9. RT19

RT19 Members

The weather here is what I’d consider still quite mild it’s 6 c today. I suppose cold footing is all to do with practice. Just take short walks and build up.

I also find it helps if I don’t put on any socks or shoes right from when I get out of bed.

edde likes this.
  10. stevebecks

stevebecks Barefooter in Essex

it was a unseasonably warm sunny day today, so took a barefoot walk around some local woodland and the countryside.

Attached Files:

txbarefooter likes this.
  11. Uststru

Uststru Members

I’ve been walking around barefoot quite a bit. My feet are still transitioning into the cold-weather phase.

BarefootedBoy likes this.
  12. BarePeter

BarePeter Members

It's around freezing today. No problem being barefoot outside for 20/30 minutes. But I pay more attention to what I walk on because my feet go a bit numb, so I wouldn't feel it as much if I stepped on something I shouldn't step on.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    goodearth likes this.
  13. Terry B

Terry B Life is wonderful

Fill the bird feeders and the deer feeder. About 8” of snow in Eastern Tennessee.

Attached Files:

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i left my snowboots in my truck so i had to walk out barefoot to get them. the cold concrete wasn't too bad, but walking across the jagged ice in the parking lot was awful.

15. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

When I relocated in coastal tuscany 20 yrs ago ice was common in winter and spite of being close to the sea and on the western coast where we don't get the full brunt of siberian winds, snow did happen albeit occasionally, in small amounts and for a limited time. Now Christmas is coming and like the past winters since ten yrs or so temperatures still never get lower than 5 C° during the colder nights but most of the time they' re still in the 9-16 C° range, so... winter barefooting is not really winter-y. Only the locals think they're going to die of exposure and I swear that when the termometer goes south of 20 C° people starts going around like friggin' little Amundsens in quilted jackets and fur collars,during fall, this while I'm still motorcycling around in sweater and bare feet.
    So basically I'm not barefooting in winter.

16. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

exactly how much warm Steve ? just curious

17. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

18. One Man Band

One Man Band Member

20181226_212924_Film1.jpg It was 42 this evening. That is my limit.
    Did a few outside errands.

19. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

20. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

No problem !!!