Barefoot in London

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by RobWP, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Tech Mo

Tech Mo Member

Went out shopping down the high street with the family. To the shopping mall, Asda, Sainsbury's and Wilkinson. My feet got pretty black in the car park with oil stains everywhere.

2. Tech Mo

Tech Mo Member

Coming back from work yesterday afternoon, going to Lewisham station, passing the bus stop when I heard a girl said to her friend "WHERE'S HIS SHOES?, WHERE'S HIS SHOES?". I just continued walking towards the station smiling to myself. :bandana:

3. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I saw a barefooter in Islington, London the other day...Great to see,and I admired his bravery...He looked confident,if not also a little worried.

4. Tech Mo

Tech Mo Member

First time, I had a barefoot control of any sort, on a London bus. Yes a London bus!! Getting on to the bus, the driver told me I can't go barefoot and I had to put something on my feet because I might hurt my feet. I didn't argue with him at the time because it would delay the bus and make everyone else late. So I took my flip flops and put them on. Rather than discuss this while he was driving, I waited till I got off at Vauxhall station.

Before I got off I asked him why he asked me not to go barefoot and is it a rule or something. He said to me that the bus company was liable if I hurt my feet on the bus if I cut myself on a metal piece or something. I then said it would be my fault if I cut myself because of my negligence. But he didn't see it that way. He said that he would have to call for emergency for assistance and so on. It looks more that he didn't want the hassle if it did happen. He even went on to say, its the same on the Underground. He was not being nasty or anything but just being all authoritative. Of all the years going barefoot this is first time I have been stopped and more even on a London bus.

As soon as I came off the bus, flip flops back in the bag! :2thumbsup:

5. PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94 Member

I would have taken them back off while seated, riding on the bus. :p

6. ItchyFeet

ItchyFeet Member

you'll most likely get foot warts or some kind of foot fungal plague by bare footing in dirty cities.

7. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

lol!
    I've barefooted in way dirtier cities than London - WAY dirtier - and my feet are just fine. Gotta love it when people just pull stuff our of their ass though :)

8. hillman30

hillman30 Member

stupid is as stupid does in some cases as ur pointing out.

9. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

I've just read through all of this. I'm in West London and live barefoot. If you spot me at all feel free to say hello. :)

10. Tech Mo

Tech Mo Member

Will do and same here over at North East London.

:sunny:

11. Tech Mo

Tech Mo Member

Went out to Westfield Stratford City last week with the family. Walked around and did the odd shopping then popped into the cinema and watched The Amazing Spiderman 2. It was a nice warm day, lovely to barefoot.

12. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

I lived in East London for a while - Plaistow to be precise and I find myself in Stratford every so often. Haven't been to the cinema for over a week. Need to catch Spiderman and a few other films soon.

13. RobWP

RobWP Member

Haven't posted here in ages!

Heading into London tomorrow for a couple of nights with my kids to do some sight seeing - gonna do the London Eye, museums, bus tours etc. Sooo looking forward to it especially the cool smooth floors of the underground under my barefeet! Anyone ever had any issues getting into museums etc? I don't normal bother with emergency flip flops but guess it might be sensible just incase.

14. vanupieds

vanupieds Member

I was once told that I would either have to put something on my feet or depart in the National Gallery. Last summer I had no problem at the Science Museum though.

1 person likes this.
  15. RobWP

RobWP Member

Cracking day so far - tubes, buses, Regent Street & hamleys for the kids - all no worries at all. No one is remotely bothered by it. The only issue had been at the London eye where the security guard insisted I put on footwear - but was very nice about it so I put on flip flops for about 30 seconds and then kicked them off again when he outta sight

Comment of the day was from a guy who rushed past me in a suit on the escalator who said 'respect' whilst pointing at my feet!!

1 person likes this.
  16. RobWP

RobWP Member

Madam tusssuds & science museum tomorrow! Hopefully no shoe police.

17. Tech Mo

Tech Mo Member

Glad you are having a good time in London. Going barefoot on public transport is wonderful, like you said the smooth cool surfaces on the underground to the more grinding surfaces on the buses. I have been going barefoot quite a lot this year, going to and fro work, when going out on the tube. And all that getting our soles filthier!

1 person likes this.
  18. RobWP

RobWP Member

Another great day - open top bus tour, river trip, Madame Tussauds, coffee shops, a restaurant on the Serpentine for a beer, tubes, and finally train home again. Aside from a couple of double takes, smiles and the odd stare, no-one was in the least bit bothered by me being barefoot. Great place.

2 people like this.
  19. vanupieds

vanupieds Member

Just back from spending a few hours at the Notting Hill Carnival. All a bit too noisy and crowded for my taste but I did enjoy threading my way barefoot through the debris on the streets. Sometimes the crowds were so dense that I could only rely on touch to avoid stepping on anything unpleasant. Only saw one other barefooter, though he really looked the part - not a casual barefooter carrying his shoes. Shopped in Tesco on the way back to the tube without problems despite their reputation and the security guard on the door obviously seeing my bare and by this time grimy feet. Back home my feet feel great and tingling with life

20. guidoscalzo

guidoscalzo Members

Hi.

I'm staying few days in London from November 21th to 25th.
    It wuld be nice to meet other barefooters for a walk around, a coffea, a meal.