Barefoot in London

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by RobWP, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Shakti_Om

Shakti_Om Local Pixie

It depends on the guy. Some guys can pull off pretty hippie stuff while others need to stay close to leather, black thong & silver stuff. From a female point of view just try and match what you choose close to your image. If you're a 6ft burly 'bloke' don't go for rainbow beads and bells, try something a little subtle :)

Shayla x

2. Tech Mo

Tech Mo Member

Came home again barefoot from Lewisham to Stratford. Walked barefoot through Westfield Stratford and at the cinema complex there.

3. Tech Mo

Tech Mo Member

Another day barefoot in London, travelling on the underground, getting my soles pitch black and dusty black tops.

4. charlie35

charlie35 Member

Did the same myself today. Unexpected trip to London by train/tube. Spent large part of the day in Camden Market. Now have black soles.:sunny:

5. Tech Mo

Tech Mo Member

Travelled all over central London on the Underground again. All over the place, stopped off at Piccadilly Circus and Westfield Stratford City. Was a warm sunny day in London for once, feeling like Summer. So it was really pleasant barefooting, feeling the different surfaces and getting my soles blacker.

6. RobWP

RobWP Member

Did a last minute trip to London on saturday - knightsbridge, oxford street, various tubes and paddington station. Crazy hot weather, but It was so good feeling the hot pavement underfoot and the smooth tiled floor in paddington was just lush. Tubes were so stuffy and stinkin of sweaty bodies yuk! My feet were probably as black as they've ever been within about 5 mins! Loved it.

7. Tech Mo

Tech Mo Member

Went out shopping today to my local Asda (which is part of Walmart) and then onto a SportsDirect store. They tend to hang clothes high up and I had to ask for assistance. The assistant asked me where my shoes were and I answered him, its too hot and I feel comfortable barefoot. He said nothing and served me. I had to share this as this was the first time I had been asked where's my shoes. It felt more of a curiosity question. I then went on to the market to buy some fruits and then home.

8. Dan Gerous

Dan Gerous Guest

Today I was barefoot on 2 trams, 2 buses, in Costa Coffee and in Sainsburys. Great textures and not bothered by anyone.

9. vanupieds

vanupieds Member

Bus and tube to Camden, lunch in Wagamama's, shopping in Morrison's, all footwear left at home. Despite the glorious weather and the ubiquity of flip-flops not another pair of truly bare feet seen! No problems at all and filthy soles!

10. Tech Mo

Tech Mo Member

You are so right, I haven't seen another barefooter either; it is amazing especially in this hot weather.

11. Shakti_Om

Shakti_Om Local Pixie

Must be a London thing, I've seen barefeet of all ages today with no shoes in sight.

However on my recent trip to London I met only one other lady on the tube back from Camden who had decided to go barefoot for the day. She was probably in her 40's and fairly alternative in a punk kinda way :2thumbsup:

shayla x

12. Tech Mo

Tech Mo Member

You might be right, which is a shame :frown:. Like vanupieds said, lots in flip flops. There was one woman I met last August down my way who went barefoot and enjoyed being natural. Though unfortunately I haven't bump into her since. Perhaps seeing us barefoot might remove Londoner's inhibitions.

13. Shakti_Om

Shakti_Om Local Pixie

I doubt it - when I'm in London I feel like a lost character from one of those weepy Disney films :D

14. dnairb

dnairb Member

I've been barefoot in London a few weekends recently. I haven't seen any other barefooters. I also haven't come up against any comments to speak of, only a group of young men pointing and laughing amongst themselves as I descended the escalator to the underground at Paddington. The west end is heaven to walk on as much of the pavements are actually paved and not covered in blacktop.

15. vanupieds

vanupieds Member

Same here. Walked barefoot up and down Portobello Road on Saturday, and on Sunday visited the Hornsey public library and then went by bus and tube to Liverpool Street for a wander around Spitalfields and Brick Lane markets. Only one (friendly) comment from another library member: "Too hot for shoes today!" Thought later I should have asked him why he was wearing them!

16. charlie35

charlie35 Member

Went for an afternoon in Camden Market the other week. No other barefooters, but no hassle or comments anywhere either, including the train/tube there and back.

17. Tech Mo

Tech Mo Member

Was travelling to work this morning entering Stratford underground station when the station guy at the barrier noticed I was barefoot and said to me to be careful on the escalators. I just replied, I will, and went on my travels.

18. vanupieds

vanupieds Member

Happened to me a few years ago at Waterloo. As though it was the first time I'd ever used an escalator barefoot!
    Also a few years ago a policeman told me I was very brave to go barefoot on an escalator as they were "covered with broken glass". Obviously he'd never actually looked at an escalator! Any broken glass on an escalator would either accumulate at the end or end up underneath. Just an example of how people can spout any nonsense when confronted by something a little out of the ordinary!
    On a more positive note my barefoot activities over the past fortnight have included a visit to the Science Museum, a meal in an Italian restaurant and three visits to the Proms at the Royal Albert Hall, apart from the usual bus and tube journeys. You often see people barefoot in the Proms Arena but I'm the only one I've seen who arrives and leaves barefoot. One evening I'd booked a cheap seat and on arrival was told there was a free upgrade on offer to a box in the Grand Tier so I ended up barefoot in the most expensive seats. Only one comment from a fellow concert-goer, who said he was being careful not to step on my toes.

19. mithra

mithra Member

Well, I hope to be barefoot at Notting Hill Carnival next Monday. See you there!

20. Tech Mo

Tech Mo Member

Back in London after my holiday in Mauritius. Glad to see the weather is still nice and warm. Barefooting to and fro work, out and about and on the underground. I have come back so relaxed that I am barefooting a lot more without any care. My soles have become so filthy. Wonderful. :sunny: