Barefoot all summer

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by yamark, Aug 24, 2005.

1. yamark

yamark Member

Ive now not worn shoes for almost 3 months, the bottoms of my feet are nice and tough and stained black.
    I hope to be able to totally give up wearing shoes.
    Will see what happens :)

2. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

Me too, dude. Congrats.

3. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

Hey TM, are you even going to go barefoot in Northeastern Ohio's dreaded winters?????

4. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

Eughh. I'm not a big fan of frostbite.

5. Rugged_Soles

Rugged_Soles Member

The fall arrives gradually most years and if you're dedicated you can grow accustomed to the cooler weather. I've been able to do "some" barefooting 12 months a year for around the last 4 not continously like some do, but nearly everyday. Winter before last I ignored some deep numbness and got some frostbite on the ball of my foot. But if you pay attention to your feet and build up your circulation you'll amaze yourself with how much BFing can be done even in the winter.

6. yamark

yamark Member

Well, Im definitely a dedicated barefooter, as I said, Im aiming to ditch my shoes all together.
    I m not to worried about the fall as my soles are getting almost like leather, but the winter is another story, and I really dont want to experence frostbite.
    But, u never know, I might go barefoot in the snow :)

7. Rugged_Soles

Rugged_Soles Member

Dude, you DO NOT want frostbite it hurts like mad. And the look of your soles shows how dedicated you are. Let us know how you do this winter. Good luck on staying 24/7. If you don't smoke you're circulation will be better. You'll also want to keep moving. When I got frostbit it seemed to be underneath the calloused pad on the ball of the foot and turned very black. Blacker than a deep blood blister. I have to be real carefull when it gets into the teens and only BFhike for 15 minutes at a time. Once the feeling returns indoors or any heated place like a car I then will go back out and try to stay out longer. Slush is the enemy as the wetness conducts your internal heat away very fast. It is fun to do and I get a kick out of seeing how far I can snowfoot. If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't do it. Archie

8. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

I tried barefooting in the snow when I lived in Ohio, though it was fun to say the least, I had to cut it short due to me feeling pain and numbness.

Actually I'm quite sensitive to really cold weather, even after being exposed to it for over 20 years. That's why I live in southern Arizona.

9. yamark

yamark Member

I was joking about going barefoot in the snow, I surely dont want frostbite on the bottoms on my feet or my toes. For now, I'll enjoy the feeling of being barefoot and during the winter, I'll look foward to being barefoot 24/7 when the waether gets warmer.

10. Cool Spruce

Cool Spruce Member

I do some (just some) in the snow, and this is Maine. But I can't do it prolonged. You really don't want frost bite. The severe cold is not to be trifled with. My frequent runs to the truck because I forgot something to bring in, or out to get an armload of wood. Near the house, with folks still awake inside, that's safe. The dead of winter is not the time for much of this here.

My times are when it snows in the fall, and isn't too cold yet. I'm active, and quite healthy for my age, and NEVER too far from a safe place to be warmed up. Good blood circulation is critical, regardless of how we are dressed. Also, when snow lasts well into April with some warm weather. The sun is strong then (when we can get it to come out at all!) and it is truly a delicious feeling. My area in April is like some of the high alpine country in summer, so it's possible to walk upon bare ground and snowfields, alternatively, making this do-able. I still have photos of me doing this.

11. yamark

yamark Member

Thanks for all the great advise, I feel like this is a barefooter support group :)
    Right now my feet are happy and dirty and I expect they'll remain that way.

12. wolfstare

wolfstare Member

very cool feet

13. bfjohn

bfjohn Member

We don't often get snow up here, but when we do, i only go outside barefoot to clear the drive and pathways, so i can run inside quickly.