Bare Feet!

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by Tomster, May 10, 2006.

1. Barefoot Land-Surfer

Barefoot Land-Surfer Members

Cool. Thanks for mentioning them. It looks like they have a lot of great content.

Barefoot Bob2 and Barefoot Rick like this.
  2. Barefoot Rick

Barefoot Rick I love my dirty bare feet

Now that the temperature are cooling down I see more people walking barefoot . Today it’s been raining here and I love walking in the rain barefoot the water feels great on my bare feet.

Barefoot Land-Surfer likes this.
  3. Barefoot Land-Surfer

Cool. That's great more people are walking barefoot there now. I'm glad you got to enjoy feeling the refreshing rain on your bare feet. Lots of rain here too lately so I've been loving it as well.

Barefoot Rick likes this.
  4. Barefoot Rick

Barefoot land surfer the rain feels great on bare feet. And snow feels great too on bare feet. And I asked my doctor if he put down on my medical record that I’m a barefooter and he said yes so now I know why other doctors and hospitals don’t say anything to when I go and see them .

5. Barefoot Land-Surfer

Barefoot Rick it sure does. It's also enjoyable to walk where sprinklers have watered the sidewalk and created puddles. The snow has been a challenge for me. But you were right during the summer when you told me that my feet would toughen up to handle skateboarding every day. They did, and so I believe that my feet will continue to grow tougher and adapt to the cooler weather too so that by the time the snow arrives, they will be able to handle it. That's awesome your doctor agreed to put down barefooter on your medical record so all the other doctors and hospitals know too without questions.

6. Barefoot Rick

Yes it is barefoot land surfer and I know your bare feet will be able to handle the cold weather and the snow . And the more you are barefoot in all types of weather the more your bare feet can handle.

7. Barefoot Land-Surfer

Thanks barefoot Rick. It's amazing how much our feet can adapt to handle the weather and the elements. It's been fun starting this challenge so far of preparing my feet for the cold weather and snow.

8. Barefoot Rick

Barefoot land surfer it’s great and it’s great to see how much our bare feet can handle with the weather changing from summer heat to fall temperature and soon winter temperatures to really cold temperatures. But I know our bare feet can handle it .

9. Barefoot Rick

Today me and a friend went fishing and it was in the 40’s and yes I was barefoot like always and as I hook one and it was a good size . I saw a gray truck pull in and it was the fish and game . Take least I know the fish and game officer and as he walked up he was shaking his head and he said man I don’t know how you do it in the cold temperature but every time I see you and your buddy you are always barefoot. And I said you know how why I go barefoot and he said yes I do he ask to see our fishing license and we showed him our licenses and he ask me if I ever had a hook stuck in my foot before I said yes but the bad thing is that I can’t feel it when it happens. My buddy said he has stepped in broken glass when we were target shooting and he never cut his bare feet. He said good luck we said we need two more and we will have our limit he still said good luck and he left and ten minutes later we got our fish we need and went home. The I went to Walmart and this lady said I bet the floor feels great on your bare feet I said yes it does . She said this is the best time go go barefoot everywhere because it’s not super hot and it’s not super cold I said yes the right so I got what I needed and the next thing I saw her take her flip flops off and was shopping barefoot and she saw me and said that she was thinking of shopping barefoot but then she kept her flip flops on but she said after seeing me barefoot and thought why not shop barefoot so she took her flip flops off . I said that’s the only way to shop is to shop barefoot and she said you’re right . So I go what I needed and got in my truck and came home. It was a great barefoot day

10. Barefoot Land-Surfer

Barefoot Rick I enjoy hearing about how you influence others with your barefoot lifestyle. Great barefoot fishing story, and I hope the lady from Walmart will keep shopping there barefoot and take up the barefoot lifestyle.

This morning the temperature here was 50 degrees with gusty cold winds and plenty of sunshine. On my walk, there was a young guy across the street wearing long pants and a heavyweight hoodie cleaning up his yard with a leaf blower. He gave me a double-take as I passed by barefoot and in shorts and a sweatshirt with rolled up sleeves. Always a great barefoot day.

11. Barefoot Rick

Thanks barefoot land surfer I get the same looks too but it great to be barefoot and the cool weather feels great on my bare feet I bet it feels the same for you too

12. Barefoot Land-Surfer

You're welcome barefoot Rick. The looks come with the territory and are not a big deal. The cool weather was feeling great on my bare feet.. until yesterday. We hit a cold snap and it is very wet/rainy with high winds (real feel at 32 degrees). It has made my daily walks rather uncomfortable, particularly for my toes. This is my first Fall season going barefoot and for my feet to experience these cold temps with windy & damp conditions during long walks. Any tips for handling that painful "bite" on the toes from the blustery winds and cold? (My core body gets toasty and sweaty, but my toes look and feel like frozen red cherries lol.)

Barefoot Rick and Nudegardner like this.
  13. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

If it gets really windy, I just tend to coop up inside. Wind chill makes you get cold really fast, and it's just plain miserable regardless of the state of your dress. It really comes down to how much you're willing to grit your teeth and bite your lip. Your circulation will of course attempt to compensate by making your blood run faster in the soles, but there's only so much it can cancel, before the cold becomes too much. Remember, the pain is there to tell you that this isn't, technically speaking, a very good idea. You'll get used to it, and your feet will acclimate if you persist, but don't ignore the warning signs completely. It could mean the difference between having your toes, and then not having them. Like, any radical changes in the color of your flesh tells you that it's time to drop everything and go back inside.

As for tips, stay moving. Walk. Do with your feet what they were designed to do. If you just stand still in one place, your soles will suffer a constant, sustained exposure to the cold beneath you, and that drains your body heat extremely fast. Also, it's OK to cheat a bit. Earlier today I barefooted outside somewhere around 40 minutes in +3 Celsius weather (=37,4 Fah). This was made possible by the fact that the conditions were in my favor: No wind and the ground was dry. But I still kept a pair of emergency Crocs close at and, for just in case. And most importantly, I kept moving. I stayed in motion. At one point I sat down on a bench for a bit, and got my feet up so they wouldn't have to touch the ground all the time.

Cold weather barefooting is all about being tactical, and working around those limitations imposed by the prevailing conditions.

14. Barefoot Land-Surfer

Thanks, M_Ranko. I reached the "cancellation" point yesterday during a 37-degree Fahrenheit walk (real-feel temperature of 32 degrees Fah). No matter how much I stayed on my toes and jogged, they progressively became numb after only 15 minutes with dry ground and a slight breeze. By the time I got back to the house, they were so numb I couldn't feel anything and they felt like rocks lol. They were a deep red color and fine after a few minutes back indoors. I know that white- or blue-colored toes indicates the start of frostbite, so monitoring their color is always my top priority.

Yes, I am doing this to acclimate. When I have to occasionally stop moving for my dog, I try to stand on either grass or in some leaves to get my feet off the cold cement. Only helps maybe a little. Wow, impressive you managed 40 minutes at the same 37 Fah temperature!

It def is a strategy game. I miss the mostly care-free barefoot walks of summertime. The acclimating is paying off at least - today's 50 Fah walk was easy.

15. Barefoot Rick

Today was a little cool the morning was 36 degrees and it felt so good on my bare feet. But wow I sure got a lot of weird looks. And so people ask me if I’m ok I said yes I’m fine. Later on the temperature got in the high 40’s and tomorrow it’s going to rain I can’t wait to walk barefoot in the rain.

Nudegardner likes this.
  16. Nudegardner

Nudegardner Members

39F today,the ground is wet and cold.

17. Barefoot Rick

Nudegardner same here and tomorrow more rain and snow in the mountains here I can’t wait to walk in the snow barefoot

Nudegardner likes this.
  18. Nudegardner

Nudegardner Members

I always liked the snow after welding school,feet got hot after all that. Felt great hitting that snow!

19. goodearth

goodearth Member

I eventually found out that my limit was 39 degrees. The ground usually gets crunchy at 32. That hurts. At lower than 39 time runs out for safety.

20. goodearth

goodearth Member

I used to contemplate using this type of thing for walking barefoot in cold weater. It could be a remedy for cherry toes with a little alteration......lol.

https://www.rei.com/search?q=Boot+cover

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022