band trouble

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by lifer02, Jan 28, 2009.

1. lifer02

lifer02 Stoned Ape

so me and my friend are starting a band with me on vocals(metal), and him on lead guitar, we've yet to set a drummer/bassist yet. but there's one problem..

i've only pictured starting a badn with this kid cus hes one of my real good friends and we both share the same music tastes. but whenever i hear him play guitar, it's so fucking annoying. he just taps through scales and excersises and thinks it's amazing..he even made a solo out of tapping all his scales, not replacing notes, just the scales forward and backwards. i wanted to slap him.

and whenever i try to help hi mwith a riff or make a riff for him to play, he kind of just shrugs it off..but then when he tries to play a riff or sometihng and thinks it sounds amazing, it sounds like my little brother's first time playing his guitar.

its not that he sucks, its just that he has no ear for what he's doing. i dont know how to tell him, either.

2. wonka816

wonka816 Oh Davey

get him to listen/play more than just metal. even if you want to be a metal band you gotta learn more than just scales to start coming up with your own stuff. scales help a lot but you need to learn how to properly use scales to improvise and play rather then just play a scale. get him to watch videos of better guitarist, unless he just wants to play like malmsteen...lol. but you gotta some how convince him that playing fast isnt what its about, you gotta put feeling into what you play or it will be obvious that he only knows scales.

also, if any of that is confusing just let me know...i tend to start typing then have a weird thought process and just keep typing haha