Backcombing To Tighten?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by whitemarley90, Jan 24, 2009.

1. MoonDoggie

MoonDoggie Member

Cheap bands (like the office/school supply ones used to hold up a roled posterboard) with melt. Leave on on a rock in the summer for an hour and come back. That baby will resemble a poor dead dried worm (it breaks my hear to see dried up worms...Poor wormies...anyways...)
    But not all bands are bad. There are bands created for long time use, not sure what it would do for a hair in the dreading process but I used them in my hair while I was away from home for a week (for briads) and it didn't melt, break, etc. but I can only speak for non-dreaded hair. It is a bitch to remove though.

2. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Yeah. I doubt I'd put bands in my hair. I know what you mean about the melting. I wasn't sure if there was like something that I was missing that would cause them to melt. I think that I'd probably put either beads in or some stitches. Probably not the bands, especially after everything SoaringEagle said about them.

And it's good to know I'm not the only one that feels bad about dried-up worms.

3. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

i rescued a worm today ^-^

4. whitemarley90

whitemarley90 Member

alright so ive decided against backcombing them again..
    ive been reading about the sea salt and water spray.. now do u jus spray the dreads n let it dry... or do u have to do it then wash them??

5. MoonDoggie

MoonDoggie Member

Woot to worm love.
    I used to have a worm farm as a kid but my mom found them and threw them in the back yard. Sad day. They were good at degrading newspapers!
    But yeah, lots of people use hairdryers too, so picture cheap bands plus hairdryer! Disaster.

6. MoonDoggie

MoonDoggie Member

Spray them as they are drying. Once it gets warmer you should take a dip in the ocean though :]

7. whitemarley90

whitemarley90 Member

i live in upstate ny... no ocean...
    only ponds lakes and streams.. i live in a wooded area.. the adirondacks! its awesome here..
    so i spray them after i wash them...
    so should i take the bands out???
    here r some pics i jus took a few minutes ago...
    wat r ur opinions?????

8. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

take the bands out, they look silly and dont do anything

9. MoonDoggie

MoonDoggie Member

I think you should try washing them one last time with the bands in with only shampoo and as it dries spray the salt water in. When the hair is almost dried, you can cut the bands out, personally if you have a good brand of hair bands in I don't think you have to remove them immediently but if it's cheap bands, yeah, cut it out today. I'm sure you can get away with using good bands for another day or two.
    Your hair is very straight, so it might take awhile for it to start knotting.

10. whitemarley90

whitemarley90 Member

thank you.. ill wait a few more days.. then ill wash it again with my dr bronners diluted shampoo.. its diluted 20:1 is that to diluted???
    thnx for the advice guys!!!! im sure with ur guys help ill have some kick ass dreads in time!

11. MoonDoggie

MoonDoggie Member

I think that's too diluted. but then agian I don't even dilute mines (To be fair, I don't currently have dreads so I guess I don't have to worry about diluting right now.) Does that at least sud up a bit?
    Just remember, don't let people bring you down and give you anal advice. I think your doing fine so far. What type of bands do you have in?

12. whitemarley90

whitemarley90 Member

idk but they werent cheap.. i think like 5$ for 75...
    it didnt sud when i washed em at first no... so ill add a lil more then...
    aint kno one lettin me down!!

13. MoonDoggie

MoonDoggie Member

[​IMG]
    ^ This is the type of band that military/hiking/camping girls are able to leave in their hair for weeks. If this is the type you have I wouldn't stress about the melting effect.

14. whitemarley90

whitemarley90 Member

i think those r it! but mine r clear..
    any other advice i wouldnt mind!!

15. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

justr cause they may not melt doesnt mean they wont get swallowed
    id remove all the bands right away they do u no good at all

and the dr b..12-1 shopuld be a good dilution
    nost use 12-1 to 16-1 or so
    i dont generalty measure tho just guestimate
    20-1 i think is whats recomended for toothpaste or a facial..very very mild

16. zilla939

zilla939 Thought Police Lifetime Supporter

i agree, take the bands out asap! they weaken the dreads by making them thinner at the roots and they will definitely get tangled in your dreads.

don't backcomb them again, and if you do, do it loosely. palm roll them to help them along if you simply can't leave them alone :)

also, i do not dilute my bronners, either. i get my head all sudsy and it doesn't seem to dry my scalp or leave a residue. just use a couple small drops strategically placed on your scalp. but i have a tough head and haven't ever had dandruff problems or anything...

17. ThePmiester

ThePmiester Member

I used a few bands, but they didn't dread underneath them :(
    They did me no good at all, obviously its down to personal preference!
    Your doing great, keep it up.
    Alex

18. whitemarley90

whitemarley90 Member

thnx guys!!!! u guys r the best!!! so say i took the bands out how would my hair keep seperated?? i dont really want them congoing.. basically all im wondering is if i took the bands out that they will stay in the dreads there in now..(well baby dreads) and will still be thin dreads.. i dont waant thick dreads.. i mean if it happens it happens but im gonna try to keep em thin... im gonna wash em again today.. then spray with a seal salt and water solution! ill put updated pics after im done drying my hair and wat nmot..
    THNX AGAIN GUY!:)

19. ThePmiester

ThePmiester Member

Its called ripping :)
    If dread's start congo-ing, just rip the connecting hairs apart :)
    You have to do it on your dreads if you want to keep them sectioned regardless of how big ;) Palm rolling does help keep them sectioned although, alot of it is just down to looking after them.
    Alex

20. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

rubber bands constrict your hair and prevent the hair from moving and 'locking'

beads are much better and do pretty much the same thing