Baby brain

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by wiccan_witch, Jun 16, 2013.

1. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

My best friend is pregnant with her first child. Now instead of talking about being married and when am I going to get married too (which is what has been happening for the past five years) - she spends ALL her time talking about babies and then - am I going to have babies too? When I told her I hadn't decided, and IF I decided to have children I would wait until I was ready, she said 'you can't wait forever!'. While I should add I am delighted for her that she is happy being married and having a child, she doesn't seem to understand that just because those are things she wants that doesn't mean I want them, too!

Has anyone else had a friend affected by baby brain, or has been affected themselves? How do you make someone understand that while you are really happy for them, they are being kind of rude?!

2. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

A few of my friends have gotten babies lately and it seems to be the only thing they can talk about. I understand it is a big deal to them, but for the rest of the world it is very annoying. I now understand why babies kill many friendships.

3. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I thought you meant baby brain as in, the condition of getting forgetful and clumsy when pregnant. ;)

Some people are just rude. I also know people who can't get pregnant, so it's especially rude to go on about it. I don't like to go on and on about my kids to others because I don't want to hear about theirs too much.

I'm a mom, but that's not ALL I am.

4. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

I thought this thread was gonna be about a zombie delicatessen. Am disappoint:(

5. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

You said she was doing the same, when she got married.

It's not the pregnancy, it's just her personality.

6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It's easy to get stoked about babies--they're so cute and so much fun. Don't let her enthusiasm bother you. It's a natural thing.

7. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

Wanted to + rep you but apparently I have to spread it around, lol.
    What you said sums it up exactly - some people can't have children, and it is seriously rude to pressure people when you don't know if there are underlying issues.
    I am wondering if I should say something to her.

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

:confused:

9. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

None of the new mothers I know describe their newborns as 'so much fun'.

10. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

babies are cool

why would you not want to talk about babies

i have a friend whois constantly on about her ducks...i put up with it because she's my friend

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Perspective is a funny thing, 7 billion people on the planet and you are seriously asking those questions

They are fun to visit, they are adorable

But raising them yourself?, LOL FUUUUUUCK that

12. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

The only advice I can give is to grin and bear it. You could suggest that she consider who all she is acting this way with because there are many circumstances when people would not appreciate her comments. I have a couple friends who have lost children and they hate Mothers Day and other comments people make to them about children.

I did not want any children and so never had any. It is not the end of the world. We each have to follow our own path. She should respect your path.

13. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

I though this was going to be about a new cooking recipe.

14. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

if you told her something like "ooooo, I sooooooo want a baby", it would be excusable, since it does get harder for women to get pregnant and have healthy children as they age.

You could say to her, or send her a message saying "I don't need any reminders about having a baby. I know your comments may be well intentioned, but they annoy me. Please don't mention anything to me about my having a baby to me again unless I initiate the discussion."

15. Lodog

Lodog ¿

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, it's really hard to be friends with newlyweds or new parents. single people are cool, then they get a significant other and become really annoying. then they get married and become more annoying. then they have babies and become more annoying. then they get divorced and sick of their kids, and they suddenly redevelop personalities.

17. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

Demetri Martin ! :)